I would like it to actually be a useful place to buy just about anything - like hardware to put up shelving on thursday after work, when you're too tired to venture out to the big box stores and be mired in all that traffic.  I've gone to that Sears multiple times looking for something that any Home Depot, Wal Mart, or even a large HEB would have, only to be disappointed.  The hardware selection is hit and miss, there's whole departments missing (you can tell from the empty floor space), and even the clothing area does not draw my attention.  I hate having to go to the Galleria or to box stores to shop for basic stuff, but it's either that or amazon for so many things when the only general goods store in your neighborhood sucks so much

Though I did get a cool 3 inch brass caliper from Sears

1 hour ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stores-closing/96195504/

Damn - immediately looked and was disapointed the Midtown Sears didn't get the AXE

It's mentioned in the video linked in that piece that Sears is selling their Craftsman brand of tools to Stanley Black & Decker (I wasn't even aware that those two companies had merged, presumably creating a Power Tool Colossus). There goes just about the last reason to set foot in a Sears store. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

It's mentioned in the video linked in that piece that Sears is selling their Craftsman brand of tools to Stanley Black & Decker (I wasn't even aware that those two companies had merged, presumably creating a Power Tool Colossus). There goes just about the last reason to set foot in a Sears store. 

Sears will continue to have the rights to sell Craftsman at Sears.  However, Craftsman will now also be sold elsewhere.

A "lifetime" warranty on Craftsman hand tools was very important to me when I was 20.  Given my now advanced age, it's not that important to me.  What is important to me now is the "lifetime" they refer to may be the shorter of my life or Sears's life.  I'll bet on me outliving Sears.  So all those flawless tools I bought when I was 20 (and still own and use) better hurry up and break of they're gonna!

On 1/5/2017 at 11:01 PM, IronTiger said:

The Midtown Sears survived this round...might be gone in six months, might last until the very end of the line.

the three things that will survive the Apocalypse: Cockroaches, Keith Richards, and the Midtown Sears. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Developer-announces-new-Midtown-condos-10889512.php#photo-12266963

The Isabella at Midtown, a 208-unit condominium development, is scheduled to open in December 2019.

Surge Homes, the developer, has opened early reservation for the complex, at 4001 Main St. -- at Main and Isabella streets. The midrise building will have lofts, one-, two- and three-bedroom units from 420 to 1,880 square feet.

Prices range from the $150,000s to the $600,000s, according to Surge Homes.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/02/14/houston-condo-developer-doubles-down-on.html

The Isabella at Midtown, which was announced earlier this month,

saw 12 interested buyers put deposits down. The $42 million condo project is proposed for 4001 Main St. in Midtown. Units in The Isabella will range in size from 420 to 1,880 square feet and in price from the $150,000s to the $600,000s.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Longtime rivals like Wal-Mart and Target are spending heavily to revitalize stores and they're intensely focused on a new consumer that goes online before stepping into a store.

The difference between Wal-Mart or Target and Sears is that both Wal-Mart and Target long ago started having "super stores" that have grocery items.  The probably goes a long way to keeping the customers coming in - groceries seem the least resistant to online shopping.  I haven't been in a K-Mart in years, but I know that Sears doesn't have groceries.  The question is whether or not it is possible to have a general purpose store nowadays with out a food component.  It is looking like no

Sears exists more as a real estate holding company that happens to have a lot of empty Sears and Kmart stores occupying the real estate.  I don't think they are really that interested in operating retail and much as unloading the real estate.  At some point the Midtown location will be sold for some other use.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Subdude said:

Sears exists more as a real estate holding company that happens to have a lot of empty Sears and Kmart stores occupying the real estate.  I don't think they are really that interested in operating retail and much as unloading the real estate.  At some point the Midtown location will be sold for some other use.  

I don't think Sears owns that Midtown property, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Subdude said:

They've already unloaded a bunch of their real estate (more than 40% of their owned locations and an even higher percentage of their valuable owned locations); that's part of why even they have finally been forced to admit they have little to no future.  And they don't have many unencumbered assets left to sell off or borrow against.

Edited by Houston19514

41 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Nah it's the large open area under the freeway, unused surface lots, and unsupervised Wheeler Station.

This is largely out of date.  They've now fenced off most of the open area under the freeway there.  And Wheeler Station is heavily supervised now, with at least one HPD vehicle (and frequently multiple) there every time I go there.  I agree that the multitude of largely-unused surface lots (thanks to the Sears that rarely has anyone shopping there) are not a good thing, though.

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

This is largely out of date.  They've now fenced off most of the open area under the freeway there.  And Wheeler Station is heavily supervised now, with at least one HPD vehicle (and frequently multiple) there every time I go there.  I agree that the multitude of largely-unused surface lots (thanks to the Sears that rarely has anyone shopping there) are not a good thing, though.

I've been out of town the past few weeks.  Is the tent city under the freeway still there?  

8 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

I've been out of town the past few weeks.  Is the tent city under the freeway still there?  

Everything west of Fannin was cleaned out months ago.  West of Main it was completely fenced in, and between Fannin and Main there has been strong enforcement to keep it clean (sometimes one of the Metro cops even leaves his car parked there).

The block east of Fannin may still have some people hanging out on occasion but it's nothing like it was, and if anyone is still there I don't even notice because it's far enough from Wheeler station.

That said, I've seen a few more people under the Pierce Elevated lately than in the past.  Perhaps that is an additional incentive to eliminate that then IH-45 is rerouted (along with trenching IH-69 near Wheeler) in the near future.

Back to the topic at hand, once 69 is trenched by the Sears, there is sure to be some related work done at surface level, so perhaps that would be the incentive necessary to push through this redevelopment of the Sears blocks.