Because it's nasty, lifeless and brings down the neighborhood. Let it go!

Let what go? It is none of that. And why would a functional department store bring down a neighborhood, that is basically, a church, barber school, an okay looking apartment building, Fiesta, jack in the box, some parking lots, and a plethora of homeless people?

If you ask me, Sears and Fiesta are currently the best things in that part of midtown right now.

I wish Sears the best, I really do, but prognosis is still bad at this point.

She has lived through worse, she will hang on for some more years
  • Like 3

Hmmmmmm

I think there are plenty of wealthy Montrosians DIYers who would be very disappointed that the Sears Craftsmen tool department was taken away. It's always crowded down there.

How do I know these people have money? Well I'm only guessing but there always seems to be a couple of Mercedes or BMW's when I shop there.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

William Marsh Rice owned the land, willed it to Rice University. Sears has a 50 year lease. 

Then why does the County show it as being owned by Sears?  We keep seeing people make this statement about Rice owning the property but nobody has ever come up with any actual evidence of it.  Meanwhile the county records say Sears owns the property.  This Rice ownership seems like an urban legend.

Edited by Houston19514

Well no one "needs" any particular store, but Fiesta is much cheaper than whole foods and provides items that WFs do not.

Closing Fiesta because Whole Foods opens is like shutting down a Taco Cabana because Red Lobster is opening a mile away

The last sentence was supposed to be sarcasm, though sadly I'm sure there are some in Midtown who actually feel that way.

http://www.houstondeco.org/1930s/sears.html

I stand corrected... Rice University now owns the land. link/ web site was year 2014. 

Cite 67 has a nice article on the building, as well. Says the original structure was built with a granite exterior, backed with concrete on the bottom floor, stucco exterior for the second floor.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

http://www.houstondeco.org/1930s/sears.html

I stand corrected... Rice University now owns the land. link/ web site was year 2014.

Cite 67 has a nice article on the building, as well. Says the original structure was built with a granite exterior, backed with concrete on the bottom floor, stucco exterior for the second floor.

That's the website where the rumor started (though with the new REIT Sears spun off recently, not 100% sure). I know for a fact that they also own(ed) the land that Fiesta sits on, newspaper archives mention that it was developed as a sort of supermarket component of Sears, with the main store getting an interior facelift during that time.

• 2 months later...

https://www.surgehomes.com/blog/surge-homes-develops-homes-near-new-midtown-park?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20999997&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--DtuBky1NfyJGmVCcaBjJsb5ruyFzIbs5Xl2T5dgjxmCFDSazwLhL3dHYv0-sSMKkLnWIAM6ourW-FCSeKxilFolk0rQ&_hsmi=20999997

For residents of 4001 Main Street—which will offer new condominiums priced from $139,000 to $809,000—Midtown Park is an 11-minute walk. Main Street residents will also have the option of taking the tramway, which passes right along Surge Homes’ Main Street community.

• Like 1

https://www.surgehomes.com/blog/surge-homes-develops-homes-near-new-midtown-park?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20999997&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--DtuBky1NfyJGmVCcaBjJsb5ruyFzIbs5Xl2T5dgjxmCFDSazwLhL3dHYv0-sSMKkLnWIAM6ourW-FCSeKxilFolk0rQ&_hsmi=20999997

For residents of 4001 Main Street—which will offer new condominiums priced from $139,000 to $809,000—Midtown Park is an 11-minute walk. Main Street residents will also have the option of taking the tramway, which passes right along Surge Homes’ Main Street community.

That press release is dated July 9th and makes the statement that "construction is underway." Are there viable signs of that at the site?

• Like 1

Our lightrail is used more like a tram.

Looking at this tracker link that I've posted before. Our lightrail is actually listed as a "tram".

http://tracker.geops.ch/?z=14&s=1&x=-8235743.4976&y=4971840.9526&l=transport

Trams are easy access rail lines that are right there on the street rather than elevated or segregated from the urban context. This is why it labels Dallas's lightrail as "lightrail" rather than a "tram" because its more divorced from the urban context (which works for dallas SO PLEASE LETS LEAVE DALLAS THERE AND NOT FLAME WAR) while our lightrail functions as a tram since its regulated by the streets.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Triton, thanks for your interest in the site.  

Sorry for any confusion.  We stated that construction has begun on Midtown Park, not our site.  

Construction has begun for our site nearby, Parc at Midtown located at 2801 Crawford StreetThis site was the preferred choice for our VIPs for Midtown. Our site on 4001 Main will be developed at a later date according to interest expressed by our VIPs and we will announce construction date for it in the Spring of 2016. Our first phase of development currently underway includes Parc at MidtownUpper Richton, and Museum BLVD.  

• Like 1

@Triton, thanks for your interest in the site.  

Sorry for any confusion.  We stated that construction has begun on Midtown Park, not our site.  

Construction has begun for our site nearby, Parc at Midtown located at 2801 Crawford StreetThis site was the preferred choice for our VIPs for Midtown. Our site on 4001 Main will be developed at a later date according to interest expressed by our VIPs and we will announce construction date for it in the Spring of 2016. Our first phase of development currently underway includes Parc at MidtownUpper Richton, and Museum BLVD.  

Is 103 N. Jackson still being planned? There's no longer any mention of this project on your site.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, but midtown is such an anomaly.  Honestly, I've attended the church across the street for 30 years (I'm 30), and I have never set foot in that Sears.  And I now live in midtown.

I'm not sure what kind of retail could replace it and Fiesta or what kind of retail would want to.