14 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why this building was every covered up. A little TLC and this thing is going to be beautiful!

"Modernization" circa early 1960's. Yes, this will be a novel building once again when restored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Specwriter said:

"Modernization" circa early 1960's. Yes, this will be a novel building once again when restored.

Simply because starting in the early 70s all store fronts that were plate glassed became favorite targets for the thieves and they were literally stealing merchants like Sears into bankruptcy. They became eyesores once the massive bricking took place, you would have to be born in my era to appreciate the vast difference in the mindset of America in just a few short years, I hope that explains it.

• Like 3

When the “unveiling” began, I got a glimpse of some of the tile accents on this building and was excited to see more.  But as the metal cladding continued to come down, I must admit I became a little disappointed.  IMHO this is not living up to the hype.  It’s kind of blah, actually.  Reminds me of an outdated Sears department store.  As the cornerstone for an innovation hub, I’d rather see something modern, new and edgy.  Knock it down and start fresh, in true Houston fashion!

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

When the “unveiling” began, I got a glimpse of some of the tile accents on this building and was excited to see more.  But as the metal cladding continued to come down, I must admit I became a little disappointed.  IMHO this is not living up to the hype.  It’s kind of blah, actually.  Reminds me of an outdated Sears department store.  As the cornerstone for an innovation hub, I’d rather see something modern, new and edgy.  Knock it down and start fresh, in true Houston fashion!

Honestly, it probably needs a good pressure wash and some street foliage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

With the Art Deco exterior, it could have a Wayne Enterprises from “Batman Forever” look going for it. 

• Like 1

Don't knock it down, but for sure don't just use it as is - clean it up on the outside and try to enhance the Art Deco building as opposed to ruining it.  

I doubt they're going to knock it down - if they were they wouldn't be carefully peeling the layers off

• Like 3

It's a "District".  There will be plenty of opportunity Modern, New and Edgy with other buildings.  This structure will make the rest look that much more Modern, New and Edgy.  Plus, I imagine that the Sears will be significantly enhanced. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Materene said:

Simply because starting in the early 70s all store fronts that were plate glassed became favorite targets for the thieves and they were literally stealing merchants like Sears into bankruptcy. They became eyesores once the massive bricking took place, you would have to be born in my era to appreciate the vast difference in the mindset of America in just a few short years, I hope that explains it.

So true and unfortunate about the plate glass windows being covered up. I remember the great displays in the windows of the downtown Foley's for Christmas time and imagine those large windows presented the same vandalism issues.

I took j_cuevas' comment to be primarily about the metal cladding higher up that obscured the Art Deco detailing. I agree with Purdueenginerd: a good cleaning will make the details easier to appreciate even though the overall look is somewhat subdued.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

It's been covered up for years, and probably slightly damaged--I know the facade on 806 Main ruined the original brickwork.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Cmon everyone, lets have a little faith here. It's been covered up for decades. They're going to tweak it for sure. 

I'm sure the first rendering will turn some of you back from wanting to flatten it. 

I do hope you’re right.  As it stands, though, I just don’t see that the architects/designers have much To work with. 

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

It's a "District".  There will be plenty of opportunity Modern, New and Edgy with other buildings.  This structure will make the rest look that much more Modern, New and Edgy.  Plus, I imagine that the Sears will be significantly enhanced. 

I hope so.  Time will tell what kind of cohesive, show-stopping final “district” grows from this starting point.  I REALLY hope something spectacular happens, but Houston developers have such a track record of turning grand visions into mediocrity.

• Like 2

The Sears project is too visible and has the backing of too many prominent institutions and officials for any remuddling to take place.
We sometimes forget other successful renovations. The UH - Downtown main building used to be painted an unappealing shade of mustard yellow; Slick Willie's on lower Westheimer was painted flat black for years. In both cases,  new colors, properly applied made these formerly dowdy buildings sparkle.
I expect the rebirth of the Sears building to be even more spectacular. And an architecturally significant building is never out of place in Houston.

• Like 6

It’s a big concrete box. That was a Sears. It’s great that they’re repurposing it for a cause/institution I totally support. But acting like it’s some cherished architectural landmark that must be saved is a bit much. It’s a dilapidated department store.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Vy65 said:

It’s a big concrete box. That was a Sears. It’s great that they’re repurposing it for a cause/institution I totally support. But acting like it’s some cherished architectural landmark that must be saved is a bit much. It’s a dilapidated department store.

Read. Learn.
http://offcite.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2010/03/EndangeredCity_Moore_Cite67.pdf

• Like 1

It can have all the history it wants (putting aside the sad ridiculousness of treating a Sears as a cultural landmark). It’s still a dillapadated concrete block. Even with some Art Deco flair, I’d want better for a tech hub.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Now I understand.
There's a peculiar sense of pride that some Houstonians take in their ignorance of and contempt for the preservation and renovation of architecturally significant old buildings. The words 'dilapidated' (sometimes spelled correctly), 'eyesore', and 'outdated' are featured prominently in their criticisms.
Never mind that such sad, ridiculous figures as Houston-raised Barry Moore (FAIA, senior associate with Gensler architects) finds merit in the architectural history of this building. And never mind that a properly renovated building will no longer be dilapidated. These concepts are difficult to grasp, and it's easier to cling to ones ignorance as if it were a virtue.
You could, I suppose, click on the links I provided, read the articles, and issue a thoughtful rebuttal; but you won't.

Except that I did. Posting an article about a department store’s history isn’t some grand defense of a large, concrete block. Instead, it’s a sad statement of what passes for “landmarks” in this city. And that’s putting the whole issue of whether and how it will blend in with other planned renovations in the area. Are we going to pioneer the Art Deco tech hub? How does that look? Will it, as others have suggested, maintain its style while the other newer developments reflect a more modern bent?

Saying some good said some nice things about it once is equally dissatisfying. Do all architect’s agree on that point? Are we not allowed our own opinions? Or do we just do the appeal to authority thing (and make snarky comments about spelling while we’re at it)?

In the abstract, I am not opposed to renovating the building. But those renovations should line up with its intended purpose. That’s not the case here. And at the end of the day, this is a sears department store. Bolstering that up as “culture” because it has some flare is pathetic. 

33 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Posting an article about a department store’s history isn’t some grand defense of a large, concrete block. Instead, it’s a sad statement of what passes for “landmarks” in this city

I don't know if this qualifies as a grand defense, but it hardly seems like a description of a large, concrete block:
"...the store had a deserved architectural reputation. Designed as a modern prototype by the Chicago firm Nimmons, Carr and Wright, the Houston project had Art Deco siblings in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and Glendale, California. Alfred C. Finn was the local associate architect..."

38 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

And that’s putting the whole issue of whether and how it will blend in with other planned renovations in the area. Are we going to pioneer the Art Deco tech hub? How does that look? Will it, as others have suggested, maintain its style while the other newer developments reflect a more modern bent?

Does the renovated Rice Hotel blend in with the skyscrapers that surround it?  Do the modern buildings on the Rice University blend in with the iconic style of its original design? No. They provide contrast and context. 
And we would hardly be pioneers by repurposing an old building for a modern function. If anything, it's utterly conventional. Former factories, warehouses, and all sorts of other commercial buildings have been pressed into service in recent decades in virtually every city. Frankly, I find the idea of creating a sort of modern Brasilia on South Main kind of creepy.

50 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Saying some good said some nice things about it once is equally dissatisfying. Do all architect’s agree on that point? Are we not allowed our own opinions? Or do we just do the appeal to authority thing (and make snarky comments about spelling while we’re at it)?

I agree with what I think that statement is saying; just because someone's an architect doesn't mean we have to like the same things he likes. My point is that this building is more than just some random concrete box, and a prominent architect agrees.
So far as the misspelling: I misspell frequently, and fortunately the built in spell check makes me aware of the error. I make the correction because it seems discourteous to the reader to leave it as is. I'm not going to police your grammar, punctuation, or usage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vy65 said:

Are we going to pioneer the Art Deco tech hub? How does that look? Will it, as others have suggested, maintain its style while the other newer developments reflect a more modern bent?

No, we're not going to pioneer the Art Deco tech hub, as Twitter has already beaten a path in that direction via adaptive reuse of a 1937 Deco building that formerly housed wholesale furniture design showrooms. I daresay that if this approach passes muster for a leading tech company's headquarters in San Francisco, there's no reason it can't work in Houston. 

RS6714_photo-lpr-1440x1080.jpg

• Like 6

What makes you think that the sears redevelopment will end up looking like Twitter HQ?

While that’s a fine building (looks much better than what we have), do you prefer that to the alternative (razing/building a high rise/mixed use development) instead?

edit: here’s 1871

ED433A4F-002E-4818-B371-D0D2457D9672.jpeg

Does anyone honestly believe that the sears will will end up looking like something in the same realm as that?

Edited by Vy65