I think the city designating this entire area as the Innovation Corridor is huge. Midtown is PRIME to become our tech district! That would define the neighborhood completely. We need to give our tech somewhere to live. Right now it's tied up in oil & gas, that's why our young talent is leaving Houston for other cities. There's no hiding now what the city has planned for this area. This will not only draw new tech to the city but real retail with it. Think about the housing that will develop as tech industries start to cluster together. That means a more interesting, urban Houston with a better streetscape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

If this is going to be an innovation corridor, I'd like to see if developed in a more fine-grained manner, rather than one company having 5M s.f. of space.

The corridor is intended for many small start ups. I only threw out 5m SQ feet in relation to the Amazon bid. Was just highlighting that the bid need not have included the KBR site as this Wheeler site or the former Exxon site has adequate room. 

Saying this however,  a tech corridor from Wheeler to Exxon anchored by a tenant the size of Amazon would be transformative architecturally but I don't know how the smaller start ups would survive the competition.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobruss said:

We have to remember that the med center is in the process of developing a major high tech corridor just south of the med center on Main at Brays bayou.

I believe this is the biggest thing to happen to Houston economically in years...

Any tech will help, but i think the distinction between bio-tech and tech start ups is important and distinguishable. TMC3 is perfect where it will go. Midtown is prime for industry. Eado can be a manufacturing and products focus (proximity to port). I want to diversify. Energy capital is great... but not enough.

• Like 5

I agree that midtown and EADO are perfect for this type of centralized tech zone especially with the rail that has already been developed and covers most of all this area.

just wanted to point out that there is a tech area being developed by TMC, that could become a very important cog in the bio tech wheel.

• Like 1

I think its a plus that the lightrail moves efficiently through Midtown.....really from Rice U to the Downtown Transit Center.  It'd be great to see further work done to improve transit times between Med Center and downtown through road abandonment, below grade crossing (I'm probably dreaming...) and a conversion of more blocks of Main St into linear parks with bike paths, etc.  Even just converting Wheeler and McGowan to below grade would be a huge improvement.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

I think its a plus that the lightrail moves efficiently through Midtown.....really from Rice U to the Downtown Transit Center.  It'd be great to see further work done to improve transit times between Med Center and downtown through road abandonment, below grade crossing (I'm probably dreaming...) and a conversion of more blocks of Main St into linear parks with bike paths, etc.  Even just converting Wheeler and McGowan to below grade would be a huge improvement.

I always question if it's reasonable to close off a large section of Main thru Fannin for strictly light rail. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I like all three sites. But how exactly is that a corridor?  

I love the idea behind it and it's catalysts like this that midtown needs to show it's true potential,  but what links the three sites?

Would be interesting to see what sort of link there was in the proposal. If there is none then I can see why the proposal failed to crack the top 20. I do wish that a tech corridor develops in midtown. And I do hope that that Exxon building can be repurposed as is. But three disjointed sites is not much of a corridor. It's like calling  St Thomas, TSU and UH a university corridor because they are all on Wheeler/ Richmond. I can see linking then by rail and calling the line the University Line, but what makes it a corridor?

Relax.  There is no need to be so literal about the use of the word corridor (although in reality there is no reason a corridor cannot take a 90 degree turn.)  Look at a map of the Energy Corridor.   What "links" the Energy Corridor? Energy business.  What links the University Line corridor (if there is such a thing?)? Universities.  What links the proposed Innovation Corridor? The plan/desire/intent to encourage the location and development of innovation companies, entities, institutes, people, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

It’s a shame that we are going to put all innovation in one place.  I guess that in a few years only non innovative companies will be scattered around the city conducting their mundane and drivel and won’t be able to locate there?

It's meaningless. The people who think of these names have no control over anything. There is no "we" who is going to put jobs or innovation anywhere. It's just a ploy to try to appeal to tech companies and sell the city. We've already got more innovation than most countries could ever dream of. There is innovation going on right now in the energy corridor and scattered office campuses that has the power to shift the world economy and alter the geopolitical balance of power. But those people don't need catch words like "innovation."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It's meaningless. The people who think of these names have no control over anything. There is no "we" who is going to put jobs or innovation anywhere. It's just a ploy to try to appeal to tech companies and sell the city. We've already got more innovation than most countries could ever dream of. There is innovation going on right now in the energy corridor and scattered office campuses that has the power to shift the world economy and alter the geopolitical balance of power. But those people don't need catch words like "innovation."

I think that you missed my intended sarcasm.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I always question if it's reasonable to close off a large section of Main thru Fannin for strictly light rail. 

It wouldn't be a huge step.

There's already one block that's closed to traffic, and all through the CBD it's essentially local access only. Trying to drive down long stretches of Main is a mistake most people only make once.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just realized they fenced the entire sears block as well. The actually building along with the parking lot. Can't remember if the lot across from it (between the shipleys and the rail station) was ever fenced, but it is now. Drove to the store last night and it was amazing! It's really making the area feel better. I only saw a handful of homeless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonBoy said:

I’m a bit lost. Are there any plans for these three lots or are they just clearing it out for now?

Rice University's Endowment owns the property but I haven't seen what they plan on doing with it but hopefully it's glorious. The potential possibilities are exciting.

• Like 2

I think its fair to say that this would be a game changer. I'm sure there are visions of mixed use transit oriented developments dancing in their heads.

Maybe a couple of high rises for starters.

I would think that this would also inspire some new developer to pick up the Main street properties adjacent to the station.

I think Metro is holding some of it.

• Like 4

My thought would be they are going to tear down the existing buildings, but keep the Midtown Sears building.  I think MS will be the center of this development and they will bring it back to its original structure, bring it up to building code for an office building.  I think it will serve as a large start up incubator, be the new home for Houston Exponential and others - it is approximately 200k SF.  They will likely want to start this process as quickly as possible and are in current discussions with Station Houston to try to get them to relocate to this building.  Have this first phase be the catalyst and then Rice Endowment, along with city/private officials, can carefully formulate a plan for the next phases of development.

Again, this is just my opinion butI imagine there will be more updates in the coming months.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

My thought would be they are going to tear down the existing buildings, but keep the Midtown Sears building.  I think MS will be the center of this development and they will bring it back to its original structure, bring it up to building code for an office building.  I think it will serve as a large start up incubator, be the new home for Houston Exponential and others - it is approximately 200k SF.  They will likely want to start this process as quickly as possible and are in current discussions with Station Houston to try to get them to relocate to this building.  Have this first phase be the catalyst and then Rice Endowment, along with city/private officials, can carefully formulate a plan for the next phases of development.

Again, this is just my opinion butI imagine there will be more updates in the coming months.

I couldn't agree more. This is going to be a major tech hub area of the city. The next 4 to 5 years are really going to bring Houston over the hump. I think of the Sears building as a icon to Midtown much how the WALD building is to EaDo.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3