Only go in about once a year, but it's like the Sears that time forgot.  Staff seem super friendly, but perhaps they're just surprised and glad you're there. It'd be great if they pulled off the outside sheet metal one day to see if it was worth saving.  My guess is that it probably is.

• Like 2

When I lived in the area I frequented Sears regularly. The Macys/Foley too.

Would gladly have those types of department stores over stores like H&M and Forever21. Having both clothing and general goods stores are nice, but I would go for the general goods.

A target would fit the bill. Northern Midtown or Southern Downtown would be perfect for a target. Especially if Sears closes and with Macys gone.

I live halfway between the Garden Oaks and Main Street Sears stores.  Agreed that the Main Street store is better; unlike most Sears stores you don't have to hunt down an employee and beg for help.  

It's ironic that a store that started out with mail order is getting clobbered by Amazon and other current mail order equivalents.

wait a minute....

That Sears in Midtown is still OPEN ?!?

I thought it had been closed for years!

Surprise to me too because I thought I heard years ago it was closing. I thought it was. Wow how does it stay open. It can't possibly be the same old Sears it was say 20 years ago, with every floor and different departments still open, is it? 

http://www.houstondeco.org/1930s/sears.html

I stand corrected... Rice University now owns the land. link/ web site was year 2014. 

Cite 67 has a nice article on the building, as well. Says the original structure was built with a granite exterior, backed with concrete on the bottom floor, stucco exterior for the second floor.

Yes it was. There was another one almost identical to this one on Harrisburg between Wayside and Marcario Garcia. Used to go shopping there for school clothes with my parents a lot in the 70s and early 80s. I still remember that place and remember that design, including the red neon Sears sign. It was closed by 1983 and demolished not long after. Interestingly the strip center thats there now still has a long piece of the old granite at its base behind the building on the Wayside/Capital side of the building. I always thought that was cool that they did that.  You can see for yourself here: 

https://goo.gl/maps/JKbcGZDYpuF2

Edited by djrage
  • Like 1

Interesting. I had thought the strip center now residing there was the old Sears building repurposed along the lines of the old Katy Fwy @ Dairy Ashford K-Mart. I was always dragged to the North Shepherd store, for Mom's Sears shopping needs. She grew up on the East End on Adams. Absolutely despised the Harrisburg Sears, and she'd never say why. I remember the old building was quite grand as we'd pass it in route to visit my Aunt's on Ave Q & 103rd, down past Manchester, and assumed that the building had been altered to the current cheap looking strip it is now.

• Like 1

Just visited the Midtown Sears. Yes, all three floors are open. It's a bit dreary inside and the outside is sketchy but it seemed to be reasonably staffed and has customers on a Monday at 2.

Can you get me some overalls next time you are there? (Kidding)

The only thing I ever bought there were tools for my dad for Christmas etc.

Edited by Dakota79

Funny you mention tools for your dad....... I frequent this store a lot just for that reason.....tools. The tool department is very well stocked and the sales associates seem to be knowledgable. It's a short drive from Montrose. Lots of my neighbors seem to go to Sears for same reason. When living in a one hundred year old house there is always something coming up for repairs or maintenance. If a craftsman tool breaks- you can take it back to Sears for replacement.

• Like 2

Tools and appliances....... Sears was my exclusive provider for decades. The last time I purchased an appliance at Sears (different State), the store looked miserable, the salesman was miserable, and the washing machine leaked on delivery.

Now, if I need an appliance, it's most likely Home Depot or Lowes.

If I need a tool it's either HD or Lowes or the quality suppliers on the Internet.

I hope Sears survives in mid-town. It fills a need for many. Unfortunately, I think that it's current corporate management team is not capable of returning the chain to even a pale ghost of what it once was.

Funny you mention tools for your dad....... I frequent this store a lot just for that reason.....tools. The tool department is very well stocked and the sales associates seem to be knowledgable. It's a short drive from Montrose. Lots of my neighbors seem to go to Sears for same reason. When living in a one hundred year old house there is always something coming up for repairs or maintenance. If a craftsman tool breaks- you can take it back to Sears for replacement.

this of course is only true if they remain in business  :unsure:

I've got a full chest of craftsman tools, they've gotten me through a lot.

I was inside this store yesterday. Needed a tie for a meeting. Even impulse bought some socks and t shirts. This store is perfectly located, easy to park, easy to get to, and easy to shop.

I can't even have imagine trying to go the Galleria in the middle of the day to buy a tie and get back to my office without killing someone.

Edited by plumber2
  • Haha 1

I was inside this store yesterday. Needed a tie for a meeting. Even impulse bought some socks and t shirts. This store is perfectly located, easy to park, easy to get to, and easy to shop.

I can't have imagine trying to go the Galleria in the middle of the day to buy a tie and get back to my office with killing someone.

Is your office in mid-town?

Jos. A Banks serves the same purpose downtown (Park Shops), albeit likely a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

Nah, my office is in the Medical Center. I like Jos. A Banks, and have been in another one a couple of times to get a suit and pants. I did not know they had a downtown store, but still, the mid town Sears is so much more convenient. You can park right at the front door, and I mean right in front of it (burglar bars and all).

Nah, my office is in the Medical Center. I like Jos. A Banks, and have been in another one a couple of times to get a suit and pants. I did not know they had a downtown store, but still, the mid town Sears is so much more convenient. You can park right at the front door, and I mean right in front of it (burglar bars and all).

Absolutely true. Just an FYI for you though..... Jos A bank is in the Parkshops and you can park in the attached garage and then enter the mall. File that one away in case you need it (or its pouring rain outside!).

On 3/6/2016 at 10:05 AM, terra002 said:

I never in a million years would have thought to go to sears for a tie though. Thought it was just tools and appliances. 

unfortunately, this is why they haven't been doing well. they have a marketing department more horendous than my spelling.

• Like 3

On March 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM, terra002 said:

I never in a million years would have thought to go to sears for a tie though. Thought it was just tools and appliances. 

They used to be so much more. Used to do our Christmas, back to school and various other shopping at the old Harrisburg location, well there and Globe on Woodridge, but that's for another thread. Such great times

Edited by djrage

On 3/15/2016 at 9:10 AM, htownproud said:

The Wendy's just under the freeway across the street from the Sears is now closed and boarded up.  The spray paint on the new ply wood ads to that area's charm that the final four crowds will get to see on the light rail to the stadium.  

Thank God, that Wendy's was terrible. I hope that plot of land becomes something to add to the area. 

It's difficult to get to from the freeway exits that are there, it's not super on the way for people going to/from the med center, it's not the nicest walk from Wheeler to that location, and remember a McDonald's that was at Richmond and Main closed too a while back

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

It's difficult to get to from the freeway exits that are there, it's not super on the way for people going to/from the med center, it's not the nicest walk from Wheeler to that location, and remember a McDonald's that was at Richmond and Main closed too a while back

The city needs to really do something about that area. It would be nice if they used the space under the freeway for a nice park. I also envision the Wheeler TC to be more exciting. Like why not build a large bus depot type building with the trains entering. I could see that station being a major interchange for transfers. Idk just my opinion. 

• Like 1

A lot of that land is owned by Metro.  I agree that they should do something about it - though I suspect that some of the land is being banked for commuter rail station platforms and the University line station platforms.  However, right now it should be one of the busiest interchange terminals in the system and instead it feels like a place you want to leave asap.  It probably affects the ridership of the New Bus Network(tm)

Just now, cspwal said:

A lot of that land is owned by Metro.  I agree that they should do something about it - though I suspect that some of the land is being banked for commuter rail station platforms and the University line station platforms.  However, right now it should be one of the busiest interchange terminals in the system and instead it feels like a place you want to leave asap.  It probably affects the ridership of the New Bus Network(tm)

I mean honestly its not as bad as it seems. I take the 25 sometimes from there and there are a lot of families, etc, that enter and exit that station but yeah its a rough patch.

• 9 months later...