19 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

Houston's innovation ecosystem is only going to succeed if it's propelled forward by founder and startup teams, rather than government, academia, and individuals that don't understand what it really takes to build a technology.  

• Like 3

Its possible like most CEO changes that this person was the right one to get the job started, and now they need a different CEO to actually get it running. If it was a resignation for a particular issue or reason I'm sure the media would come right out and say it. Looks like its just a changing of the guard, in my opinion.

• Like 6

More detail on Gabriella Rowe's departure on Innovation Map:

Houston innovation hub leader shares details on recent resignation

May 27, 2020, 5:36 pm

Gabriella Rowe has stepped down from her role as executive director of The Ion. Courtesy of Station Houston

A Houston tech ecosystem leader has announced her resignation from her position in order to seek out a new role.

Gabriella Rowe, who served The Ion as executive director until earlier this week, has confirmed she has resigned from her position. The Ion is Rice Management Company's innovation center rising in Midtown, and Rowe was named executive director in October of last year. She was previously the CEO of Station Houston since August 2018, which was later merged with Austin-based Capital Factory.

Rowe, who was selected for Mayor Sylvester Turner's new Health Equity Response task force that was established to help the city respond to COVID-19, says she hasn't yet announced what her next move is, but she tells InnovationMap will continue focusing on technology and equity.

"I am stepping back from the Ion role in order to focus my time exclusively with the issues of equity and access in growing our tech ecosystem and economy," Rowe says, "because I think that is going to be an instrumental part of the recovery of Houston moving forward."

While Rowe will have no official role at The Ion moving forward, she imagines her to-be-announced opportunity will work hand-in-hand with the mission of The Ion, which is expected to deliver next year.

"The Ion is going to be an incredibly successful project that is going to have all the positive effect on the long term future of Houston that it is designed to do. I feel confident that it's set up to do that and has the people in place to carry it forward," she says.

Rowe says her foray into Houston's tech ecosystem began when she was head of school of The Village School in West Houston. Now, her driving factor is creating a city where those students could grow their tech education and skills and have plenty of care opportunities in Houston.

"From the very start, this has been for me about building a tech ecosystem in Houston that can support the development of the tech economy that would give our Houston talent an opportunity to stay here in this city and partake in this global opportunity," she says

• Like 5

2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Once the area around The Ion gentrifies, I wonder what will happen to all the social services in the area, as well as the low-income housing developments for veterans such as Midtown Terrace Suites.

Midtown Terrace Suites are in the ROW for the trenching of I-69 per the most recent schematics and would be taken as part of that under the present schematics:

http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs13/04_NHHIP_Seg3_I-69_RollPlot_PH_1-2.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Midtown Terrace Suites are in the ROW for the trenching of I-69 per the most recent schematics and would be taken as part of that under the present schematics:

This is interesting - thanks for linking to it.

What does the “A” symbol represent at the intersection of Roseland St & Woodrow St?

Will the highway overpass at Richmond just east of Jack St always be there? Or are they planning on trenching that at some point as well?

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

What does the “A” symbol represent at the intersection of Roseland St & Woodrow St?

Will the highway overpass at Richmond just east of Jack St always be there? Or are they planning on trenching that at some point as well?

Alas, to my knowledge, there’s no plan to trench the Spur or parts thereof. I’m not sure of the meaning of the symbol “A” there. I couldn’t locate a definition in the legend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

It looks to me like the ROW would only require taking one wing (or perhaps only part of one wing) of one building of the Midtown Terrace Suites/Travis Street Plaza veterans housing complex.

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

The "A" is indicating the location and direction of the section view shown to the left.

• Like 4