On 2/7/2022 at 5:55 AM, Brooklyn173 said:

I also think that TxDOT is saying the new roadways COULD be capped by parks, etc but the design, construction and maintenance would have to be paid for by someone else. TxDOT is not including that in their project.

Because they can't, either by lack of explicit statutory authority (legal use of funding sources) or lack of support of TTC members.  There's a difference.  They haven't built such parks anywhere and aren't going to start now.  This is nothing unique, as it is often insinuated here.

24 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Only in 1 direction! Maybe they can get the right half working 🤣

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me if some day they do that on the existing section of 59.  Might be way off in the future but that's a decent chuck of land to reclaim for park use right between montrose and the museum district.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me if some day they do that on the existing section of 59.  Might be way off in the future but that's a decent chuck of land to reclaim for park use right between montrose and the museum district.

If the city paid to cap it, I’m sure developers would convince the TIRZ to ditch the park idea and let them build townhomes instead lol

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Any way you can link to the exact statement, please?

TxDoT has hosted meetings on this over past 3-4 years? I attended a few. This is What I remember at that time. I admit I’m not sure if the Mayor has changed his mind this week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

somewhat off topic but they need to do something about the northbound main street lanes at the intersection with Wheeler/Richmond. I've almost been clipped 3 times in the last 2 weeks by people unaware that the right lane is turn only. How can they fix that?

On 3/26/2022 at 9:38 PM, CREguy13 said:

I did not enjoy this article nor think it was that great of writing.  My lord was the author negative, mainly towards Houston haha

What did you expect from an Austin-based writer (Aaron Seward)?

• Like 3

On 3/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, hindesky said:

Damn, was this guy's entire family and everyone he's ever loved raped and killed in Houston or something? The whole thing is noticeably aggressive and consciously ignorant of Houston's role in the Texas/American economy. He paints an image of Houston's economy being as diversified as that of Venezuela. Super strange article. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:01 PM, hindesky said:

"When the department store opened in 1939, this section of the Fourth Ward"

Second sentence and already wrong. It's in the Third Ward. 

spacer.png

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

"When the department store opened in 1939, this section of the Fourth Ward"

Second sentence and already wrong. It's in the Third Ward. 

spacer.png

It's sad the kind of ignorant schlock that can get printed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I tweeted the correction to them and they thanked me and changed it. 

What?  No!  When you see a minor mistake, you're supposed to just write angry, sanctimonious rants on the internet under an anonymous name.  You don't do something constructive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, editor said:

What?  No!  When you see a minor mistake, you're supposed to just write angry, sanctimonious rants on the internet under an anonymous name.  You don't do something constructive!

I have a talent for hiding my angry, sanctimonious tone within a seemingly helpful tweet. 😄

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Aramco joins Houston’s innovation hub The Ion as a founding partner

Aramco Americas, the U.S. subsidiary of Aramco, has joined as a founding partner of The Ion. Through the partnership, the two organizations will create educational programming, events, workforce development opportunities, energy transition leadership, and more. The partnership will take place over the next three years.

• Like 8

Most big O&G companies have realized they need to diversify, so it wouldn't surprise me if they want to be in facilities like this to do R&D toward renewable energy.  And if Houston wants to remain the energy capital of the world as energy shifts to renewables, it's great if companies want to be doing that here too.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, rechlin said:

Most big O&G companies have realized they need to diversify, so it wouldn't surprise me if they want to be in facilities like this to do R&D toward renewable energy.  And if Houston wants to remain the energy capital of the world as energy shifts to renewables, it's great if companies want to be doing that here too.

I agree. Houston is so well situated to dominate the energy and medicine sectors for the next 50 years. It's just going to take some of these huge legacy industries realizing they need to embrace the future and stop looking backward. I think Ion is a great first step toward making that happen. We'll see...

• Like 3

At the Ion right now to do some work and check it out.  Only first floor and basement are open to the public.  Vibe is industrial in this area.  Has a stairway/sitting area very similar to the one in the UH student center.  Handful of people here in the lower level where there are tables with power outlets.  Not a bad spot for some work if it stays lightly used.  Can see it getting crowded and noisy if it becomes popular.  Parking is fenced and guarded.  Some outdoor seating for nice days.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, august948 said:

At the Ion right now to do some work and check it out.  Only first floor and basement are open to the public.  Vibe is industrial in this area.  Has a stairway/sitting area very similar to the one in the UH student center.  Handful of people here in the lower level where there are tables with power outlets.  Not a bad spot for some work if it stays lightly used.  Can see it getting crowded and noisy if it becomes popular.  Parking is fenced and guarded.  Some outdoor seating for nice days.

What's the coffee situation?

Is this like one of those places where just any old rando, such as myself, can wander in with a laptop and do work?

2 minutes ago, editor said:

Is this like one of those places where just any old rando, such as myself, can wander in with a laptop and do work?

Yep. I met with a client in the lobby to go over a bunch of documents without issue. Common Bond’s frozen bond is on point. 

1 hour ago, editor said:

It is as long as you stick to the first floor and basement.  Did that myself today for about an hour and a half.  Had just finished a large coffee from the Nook before going to the Ion so I didn't check out the coffee, but Common Bond is there and probably could serve up some caffeine.  The workspace component is a membership thing behind locked doors, but you can get a day pass for $25.  Among the perks is free coffee.  Noticed when I was browsing the membership details online that workspace company (Common Desk) has other locations here, in Austin and in DFW.  One of those options was POST Houston so I went over there after my stay at the Ion to check it out.  All are available to you if you have a membership.

Edited by august948

On 4/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, Andrew Ewert said:

I agree. Houston is so well situated to dominate the energy and medicine sectors for the next 50 years. It's just going to take some of these huge legacy industries realizing they need to embrace the future and stop looking backward. I think Ion is a great first step toward making that happen. We'll see...

It is much easier for new companies to be created than for existing companies to transform themselves. Think of Kodak. Kodak actually invented the digital camera. But Kodak was, at bottom, a film company. It was not going to be a leader in the digital age. A company represents the crystallization of an idea, the fleshing out of an idea into the realities of production, distribution, marketing, etc. Crystals are not flexible.

I think if oil and gas are doomed, Houston is going to suffer a pretty hard fall. We are going to have to fall back on our only other natural advantage, our port, but that will be a pretty big fall because, you know, there are a lot of ports.

But I'm not so sure oil and gas are doomed. They still hold more energy than any other substances (with the exception of nuclear energy). Gasoline holds about 100 times the energy of the same weight of lithium ion battery. And the energy is just sitting there in the ground, waiting to be used. It's not like film vs. digital where, at a certain point, the only advantage that film really has is nostalgia. The advantages of oil and gas are still very real. There's just this problem with emissions. But just as technology can improve renewables, technology can also help solve the emissions problem. 

Edited by H-Town Man