Jump to content

CasaNova

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This will completely change Midtown, the Museum district, and Houston as a whole! A tower here will dramatically change our entire skyline, and eventually..... we'll have a continuous skyline from Downtown to the Medical Center! Herman park can act like our central park 😂

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

On an AIA tour a few months back, the guide said that they were having trouble renting the entire two floors and we're considering options, including dividing the floors up to multiple tenants.

But that 'news' is a few months old.

I thought the plan had always been to have multiple tenants, or certainly to have flexibility to go either way.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two top floors were apparently planned for a single tenant per floor. The question came up because the top floor terrace is set up for just that single tenant. But if they subdivide that floor, they'll need to figure out if/how to allow other tenants to use that amenity.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

The two top floors were apparently planned for a single tenant per floor. The question came up because the top floor terrace is set up for just that single tenant. But if they subdivide that floor, they'll need to figure out if/how to allow other tenants to use that amenity.

 

Figuring out or allocating access to the terrace(s) doesn't strike me as being the least bit difficult.  Per the floor plans shown on the leasing website, it seems the terraces (which are on the 4th floor, not the top floor) already contemplate the possibility of multiple tenants, since there are actually multiple terraces and there are multiple access points to the large terrace on the north side.  Those elements, and the fact that they very early on leased more than half (but not the whole) top floor to Microsoft, suggests they contemplated multiple tenants from the start.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding (as a tenant of Common Desk on the second floor) is that the 4th and 5th floors are intended to be majority, though not entirely, leased to Microsoft and a Chevron green energy accelerator. And it's more about those companies not being in any hurry to get back to in-person office work yet. Hopefully that delay isn't an indefinite one, but my understanding was that it's just the expected slowness that comes with getting anything moving during Covid. I could be misinformed, but I feel like that's what I've heard.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It's right next to the restroom used by Metro drivers, so my assumption was that it was setup as a breakroom for them, to use while waiting to go the other direction (Wheeler is the terminus of bus 65), but maybe it's for something else?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Their security company was on site last night setting up what looked like cameras or something.

Multiple caterpillar-type small machinery was being parked as I went by, and they were fiddling with the tarp surrounding the hole in the ground. I'm assuming this means work has started. Which is nice since I think the garage will help tie Greentown and the Ion together, and alleviate any potential parking issues.

Speaking of parking, it seems like the Ion is getting busier, maybe someone who is a tenant can confirm. Driving by at 8:30 am just two months ago had the surface lot maybe a quarter full, but now its like 1/2-3/4 full with non-homeless people crossing the street at Wheeler and Fanin! What a difference 2 years has made for those few blocks.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Their security company was on site last night setting up what looked like cameras or something.

Multiple caterpillar-type small machinery was being parked as I went by, and they were fiddling with the tarp surrounding the hole in the ground. I'm assuming this means work has started. Which is nice since I think the garage will help tie Greentown and the Ion together, and alleviate any potential parking issues.

Speaking of parking, it seems like the Ion is getting busier, maybe someone who is a tenant can confirm. Driving by at 8:30 am just two months ago had the surface lot maybe a quarter full, but now its like 1/2-3/4 full with non-homeless people crossing the street at Wheeler and Fanin! What a difference 2 years has made for those few blocks.

I've def noticed fewer homeless in the area. Not sure if it's because of the new law here in TX or because things are getting more organized in the district. Prob a bit of both

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, j_cuevas713 said:

I've def noticed fewer homeless in the area. Not sure if it's because of the new law here in TX or because things are getting more organized in the district. Prob a bit of both

What is the new law?

Still lots of tents in the area, right along the 59 off-ramp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I've def noticed fewer homeless in the area. Not sure if it's because of the new law here in TX or because things are getting more organized in the district. Prob a bit of both

They’re all camped out on the other side of Wheeler now, under the 59 overpass at S Main next to the abandoned Wendy’s 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new law is homeless encampments are now considered "illegal." Last I read Houston was leading the way in TX in terms of finding ways to house the homeless instead of just making them criminals. Supposedly cities like Austin and Dallas are taking notes from us to do the same. Not sure how much headway has been made. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Should we place bets on when Hanover at the Ion will break ground? 2025? 😆


Maybe the surest lock of a bet on all of HAIF right now, lol. Its so Houston to discard the Midtown name for "Ion District" for the apartments/condos that will surely follow. And Houston reddit is going to get a whole bunch of posts with people acting like they just discovered Midtown B)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I hope it doesn’t turn into the infamous Midtown McDonald’s near the bus station.

Why would it?
Or are you assuming that because it's Black owned and operated that it will attract homeless/street people?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Not because it’s black owned. Because it’s 50 feet from a handful of tents along the feeder.

OK. So if the conditions already exist, how would opening a restaurant change anything? 
A quick Google search shows that their lowest priced menu option is $15, which doesn't jibe well with the budgets of the Greyhound or tent dwelling crowd.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

OK. So if the conditions already exist, how would opening a restaurant change anything? 
A quick Google search shows that their lowest priced menu option is $15, which doesn't jibe well with the budgets of the Greyhound or tent dwelling crowd.

 

I’m all for it opening, trust me. I own property less than half a mile from there on the other side of the spur. The area has cleaned up quite a bit since the Ion was announced. I just hope it continues to do so.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jr_jw said:

The What!?

I think I've since heard them referred to as "caps" or "cap parks".  Basically, it looks like the plan is to sink the current elevated portion of 59 between spur 527 and 288 and build over it in places.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I also think that TxDOT is saying the new roadways COULD be capped by parks, etc but the design, construction and maintenance would have to be paid for by someone else. TxDOT is not including that in their project.

Everything you brought up has been voiced at the various town hall meeting TxDoT has hosted over the last few years.

 The most likely entity that might build then maintain the greenways installed on the caps would be the TIRZ and Management District, don’t you think?

Perhaps , with those two agencies as prodigious advocates  for those green  spaces  the entire dialogue  with TxDoT might change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I also think that TxDOT is saying the new roadways COULD be capped by parks, etc but the design, construction and maintenance would have to be paid for by someone else. TxDOT is not including that in their project.

My understanding is that TXDOT has included a deck above the freeway in its plans but has not included the landscaping of the parks per the technical team from the City of Houston:

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/nhhip 
 

So, TXDOT would pay for the most expensive/challenging part of a cap park (the deck) in this area. Getting the deck built was the biggest difficulty with Klyde Warren park in Dallas.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Everything you brought up has been voiced at the various town hall meeting TxDoT has hosted over the last few years.

 The most likely entity that might build then maintain the greenways installed on the caps would be the TIRZ and Management District, don’t you think?

Perhaps , with those two agencies as prodigious advocates  for those green  spaces  the entire dialogue  with TxDoT might change.

I bring these agencies up since one of them ( by charter) can build/install things but can’t maintain them the other ( by charter) cannot build/ install but can use their money to maintain things.

So the “ caps” on top of the sunken highways is just that- a cap with no attached funds to do anything else. Mayor Turner spoke specifically on this stating COH didn’t have funds to do anything on top of caps.

Thats the conundrum, IMO, there is great potential   to create  green space on these caps but nowhere to easily get funding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...