2 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Doesn't Fiesta's lease end this month? Tearing down that building will make a huge visible difference to the area.

The word is Rice Management has "begged" Fiesta to stay beyond the end of their lease.  This is a long-term development plan.  If Fiesta left now, we would have a vacant building or another vacant lot, probably for a number of years.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The word is Rice Management has "begged" Fiesta to stay beyond the end of their lease.  This is a long-term development plan.  If Fiesta left now, we would have a vacant building or another vacant lot, probably for a number of years.

Oh that makes sense 👍

3 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The optics would look terrible if Fiesta shut down. Rice has to do whatever they can to keep Fiesta open, even at free rent. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

"Optics" doesn't mean a thing in this case, unless you mean the homeless population will have fewer places to hang around. If Fiesta doesn't pay rent I would fence the building off as there is no sane reason to keep it open with no revenue stream... you would have the same real estate taxes, but retain ONGOING building maintenance and higher liability insurance costs.

That's not necessarily true. If their lease agreement is triple net (property taxes, insurance, and maintenance paid by the lessee), giving Fiesta free rent would be beneficial for RMC in the eyes of the group that wants them to sign the CBA (the store stay open) as well as Fiesta paying for the property taxes until RMC decides to develop that block.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toopicky said:

"If" ..... that is a big word, and in this case if Fiesta was paying property taxes, insurance, and maintenance that constitutes rent

Not sure why I'm even responding to this, but most long-term big box rental agreements are triple net so "if" is not really that improbable in this circumstance. Furthermore, negotiated rent is in addition to those costs and is based on a price per square foot multiplier... meaning $0/sqft rent still covers RMC's costs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toopicky said:

"Optics" doesn't mean a thing in this case, unless you mean the homeless population will have fewer places to hang around. If Fiesta doesn't pay rent I would fence the building off as there is no sane reason to keep it open with no revenue stream... you would have the same real estate taxes, but retain ONGOING building maintenance and higher liability insurance costs.

rice is thinking much bigger than this. 

the possible marginal revenue they receive off of this is meaningless relative to the projects scale. They should be more concerned about keeping the adjacent neighborhood happy - at least until they get their entitlements in place. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Most likely the adjacent neighborhood's residents will never be happy in any case, but I see the value in what you say about entitlements.

Other than the extortionists, I suspect that most of those in the adjacent neighborhood will indeed be happy with this.  FWIW, I'm actually in an adjacent neighborhood.  I and everyone else in the neighborhood I've spoken with are thrilled with this project.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Toopicky said:

"Optics" doesn't mean a thing in this case, unless you mean the homeless population will have fewer places to hang around. If Fiesta doesn't pay rent I would fence the building off as there is no sane reason to keep it open

I frequent this Fiesta, and the homeless population doesn't hang around on their property, nor do they shop there. The fact that they hang out on the periphery is coincidental.
The people who shop there are (and there are many) are attracted by the lower prices on some items, a wider selection of ethnic and imported foods than are usually found in the larger chain grocery stores, and  the store's proximity to the #25 bus and the Wheeler Station stop on the Red Line. 
Another, less tangible, asset this Fiesta offers is its lack of pretense. To put it bluntly, not everyone feels comfortable around a bunch of snobbish, pretentious, judgmental yuppies.
Sounds like some people don't recognize its value because, after all, only the poor shop there - and who the hell cares about them? 
It's this sort of attitude that may have prompted concerned residents of the Third Ward to demand that their voices be heard. If there's an opportunity to make this a win-win situation, by all means let's do so.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I frequent this Fiesta, and the homeless population doesn't hang around on their property, nor do they shop there. The fact that they hang out on the periphery is coincidental.
The people who shop there are (and there are many) are attracted by the lower prices on some items, a wider selection of ethnic and imported foods than are usually found in the larger chain grocery stores, and  the store's proximity to the #25 bus and the Wheeler Station stop on the Red Line. 
Another, less tangible, asset this Fiesta offers is its lack of pretense. To put it bluntly, not everyone feels comfortable around a bunch of snobbish, pretentious, judgmental yuppies.
Sounds like some people don't recognize its value because, after all, only the poor shop there - and who the hell cares about them? 
It's this sort of attitude that may have prompted concerned residents of the Third Ward to demand that their voices be heard. If there's an opportunity to make this a win-win situation, by all means let's do so.

I agree 100%! I use to live on Jack and walked there to grab groceries from time to time. Hell I even stood in line after Harvey. It was actually a decent Fiesta and had everything I needed. 

• Like 2

I'm going to have to disagree. I live two blocks from the Fiesta and I shop there about 2-3 times a week. Every time I walk there I see a bunch of homeless and drug dealers on the side of the building near San Jac. and when I drive there and take the Caroline route, they are just posted along the store. Very unpleasant. They are even in there shopping. There's been more times than a few where I've been approached for money while shopping, and of course there's the frequent homeless in line asking for you to pay for their beer. I only shop there for convenience...and i DO mean convenience. I'm extremely excited to see how this project will clean this part of town up. I speak with a lot of people that live near me and we all agree that we'd appreciate a walking our dogs without having to walk over the homeless and being followed and harassed.

• Like 5

Man you people need to visit other cities. That Fiesta is fine, and the homeless population around it is neither particularly large or bothersome. Not saying there are never problems or that it shouldn't improve, but I blame the 59 overpass primarily for those problems, not the grocery store.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Man you people need to visit other cities. That Fiesta is fine, and the homeless population around it is neither particularly large or bothersome. Not saying there are never problems or that it shouldn't improve, but I blame the 59 overpass primarily for those problems, not the grocery store.

yep. most of the bums have been chased back to the downtown area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

That is some straight up third world demo right there. 

No, that's second world. Third world would have the second machine holding up another machine, which would sit on top of some sketch bamboo scaffolding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, danielsonr said:

Why didn’t they just tear the damn thing down and start over? What, if any, of the architectural elements of the building remain?

Tell me about it! I REALLY dislike the hybrid plan they have for this project. Either restore and repurpose the building as it was, or build something totally new. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...