On 11/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Luminare said:

Maybe something like this?

gray is the new road

light yellow would be the abandonment of these streets and turning them into pedestrian roads. most of la branch at this portion is already a pedestrian walk, so wouldn't be out of the question to do the same with the rest. This new connection from la branch to almeda would also help give the campus a defined edge.

That parking lot is probably the best bet for reconfiguration as you proposed. Would actually be pretty easy to do. Maybe someone should pitch this idea to the city. It definitely would make traffic flow better here.

I can't imagine HCC being on board with this, and certainly not the townhome owners in that area, which have been easily able to flex their muscles having themselves excised from market based parking and at least temporarily preventing the Austin St bikeway from being put in. 

I also don't think that Almeda needs slightly faster connectivity to downtown to continue to grow. Not all roads need to lead to downtown. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Luminare said:

Maybe something like this?

OFphDGw.jpg

gray is the new road

light yellow would be the abandonment of these streets and turning them into pedestrian roads. most of la branch at this portion is already a pedestrian walk, so wouldn't be out of the question to do the same with the rest. This new connection from la branch to almeda would also help give the campus a defined edge.

That parking lot is probably the best bet for reconfiguration as you proposed. Would actually be pretty easy to do. Maybe someone should pitch this idea to the city. It definitely would make traffic flow better here.

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

2 hours ago, wilcal said:

I can't imagine HCC being on board with this, and certainly not the townhome owners in that area, which have been easily able to flex their muscles having themselves excised from market based parking and at least temporarily preventing the Austin St bikeway from being put in. 

I also don't think that Almeda needs slightly faster connectivity to downtown to continue to grow. Not all roads need to lead to downtown. 

Quite right, but even more important, not all roads leading to downtown (and through Midtown) need to be high-speed thoroughfares. Outbound traffic can (and does) turn left on Holman, then right on Crawford.  Done.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wilcal said:

Yeah I really could care less. That wasn't the objective of this exercise. This was a very isolated discussion between I and @Toopicky to explore a potential planning scenario. I also could care less about more connections to downtown. The immediate goal would be better connections from Almeda to Elgin as both are major thoroughfares which have an interruption point at this intersection from seamlessly connecting with one another. If nimbyism is a parameter which you want to throw in then go ahead, but that would be a severe limitation on an exercise which is suppose to be experimental and exploratory.

47 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Quite right, but even more important, not all roads leading to downtown (and through Midtown) need to be high-speed thoroughfares. Outbound traffic can (and does) turn left on Holman, then right on Crawford.  Done.

It actually sounds like you are the one looking for a problem. I don't understand how a few drawings on paper for one experimental example is igniting this. Its not needed at all.

EDIT: By the way, this should go without saying that I'm fine with and appreciate the feedback, however, I will say its easy to criticize a full week after this was initially conceived instead of being a part of its initial conception where your concerns and wilcals concerns could have been addressed. This is by no means a complete done deal, but it is a potential idea that shouldn't be dismissed or shutdown just because it doesn't tickle a particular fancy, or makes you squeamish in regards to the sensitivities of hypothetical people we don't know about.

EDIT: Finally I think its kind of funny how we are defending a parking lot. Old habits die hard I guess.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

Yeah I really could care less. That wasn't the objective of this exercise. This was a very isolated discussion between I and @Toopicky to explore a potential planning scenario. I also could care less about more connections to downtown. The immediate goal would be better connections from Almeda to Elgin as both are major thoroughfares which have an interruption point at this intersection from seamlessly connecting with one another. If nimbyism is a parameter which you want to throw in then go ahead, but that would be a severe limitation on an exercise which is suppose to be experimental and exploratory.

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be an angry internet guy or anything. I like fleshing out ideas like this. 

It really does make logical sense to increase car throughput, but not in a community-sense to me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be an angry internet guy or anything. I like fleshing out ideas like this. 

It really does make logical sense to increase car throughput, but not in a community-sense to me. 

No apologies necessary. It was one of those things where it kinda came out of left field, and I was like...wait I thought that was over with.

I mean you run a site devoted to issues such as this.

I totally get it, regarding the community-sense, but then again I also don't take the notion of community at face value. Like immediately I'm asking; what is at risk to the community, what would this actually disrupt community wise, and is the opposition more self-serving or malice or ineptitude or attention seeking or genuine fear for their own well being. I don't know the answer to these things because I don't live in that hood, but often times when people play the "community card" they don't know either. In which I can't say that could constitute an argument against something that could be viable for a situation.

Edited by Luminare

I tend to agree that this would fix a problem that doesn't really exist. I used to live within a couple blocks of this area, and the biggest issue I remember was that section of Crawford's excessive width. Easing car throughput seems like the exact opposite of what I would want here. I'd rather see a couple lanes of Crawford go away and have Chenevert reconnected. Maybe also connect Jackson to Mosley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:44 AM, Houston19514 said:

I don't think it'd automatically be a high-speed thoroughfare, especially since Almeda itself isn't a high-speed road in this area. Put in wide sidewalks, heavy landscaping, bike lanes, and don't have it be more than two lanes wide. This would also eliminate a pedestrian crossing for cars, so that'd be safer for everyone. With the space left over, you can add green space, another garage with ground floor retail, etc. Wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 4

On 12/1/2019 at 11:38 AM, Sunstar said:

It seems like they've stripped out more of the original building than the renderings had indicated, unless the plan is to build it back similar to what was there. 

From what it seems to me looking at the renders is that they will add on top of the existing second floor to match what is the existing roof line so it will be one continuous roof line with the art deco looking parapet. They have to take out what doesn't match up first before they can create the new stuff.

58 minutes ago, Moore713 said:

I'm sorry im.a proud former resident of third ward. But this feels like nothing more than black nimbyism

or just straight nimbyism. Not necessary to add black to the beginning of that. Everyone from any kind of background can be a nimby. Apparently Dr. Assata Richards is associated with a non-profit. I wonder what this person spends everyday of every moment doing. Sounds like this person is a professional nimby...even has a PhD! I wonder what that PhD was in...

35 minutes ago, Luminare said:

or just straight nimbyism. Not necessary to add black to the beginning of that. Everyone from any kind of background can be a nimby. Apparently Dr. Assata Richards is associated with a non-profit. I wonder what this person spends everyday of every moment doing. Sounds like this person is a professional nimby...even has a PhD! I wonder what that PhD was in...

Sociology it looks like, explains a lot tbh.

1 hour ago, Moore713 said:

There is no logical reasoning behind  opposing this. The area has largely been abandoned  for close  25 years. It not displacing  and existing residents.  To be perfectly honest most people from third ward have not considered that area part of third ward in decades. Not since the early 2000s at the latest, so even before than.  I honestly dont see how this effects third ward as a whole. 

I'm assuming they have an issue with the stuff going on in the area surrounding the Ion that is/was third ward (the terrible litigation going between Turkey Leg Hut and the Museum District people and the perceived stifling of certain business on Almeda, the expansion of townhomes into third ward, etc) and this is something they can actually effect. All the other stuff is private actors and private developers. Here its schools and some city people, and various organizations that could/would actually listen to complaints. I agree tho, this is the wrong entity to throw stones at, since I don't think a single person in Houston would  say this part of Midtown has been anything to anyone in 20+ years. 

In my line of business alot of people just want to have their voice heard at the end of the day. I get the feeling this is alot of what this is, for better or for worse. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

On 11/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, hindesky said:

Not sure how long this sign as been up but the hearing is scheduled for Dec 5.

qUdNpKq.jpg

For those that support this project, don't forget  the meeting is December 5th or send an email to planning.variances@houstontx.gov. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here is the opposition form letter

Dear Mr. Alegria,

As a part of the Houston Coalition for Equitable Development without Displacement and [representative of (organization)], I request that the Houston Planning Commission delay approval of the variance request for the Ion Parking Garage until the developers have met with the Coalition to present their plans for this phase of their development and hear the Coalition’s feedback. 

We are concerned that the requested variances, a reduced building line on Fannin and Eagle and a reduction in the 15x15 visibility triangle at the intersection of Cleburne and Fanning, will decrease safety, mobility, and walkability in the neighborhood. The developer did not consult with the neighborhood before requesting these variances, and has provided no reason that these variances are necessary in its application for a variance.

The Coalition is individuals and organizations of neighbors, community leaders, scholars, students, and supporters of Third Ward and communities of color across Houston. Their goal is to develop, secure, enforce, and sustain, a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) with Rice Management Company as they develop the Innovation District at the edge of Third Ward, in order to ensure the safety and viability of their neighborhood.

As the South Main Innovation District helps to usher in a new era in Houston's economy, HCEDD envisions an Innovation District that benefits Third Ward and communities of color through historic and cultural preservation, housing, jobs, businesses, innovation, education, and food security. These topics are are drawn from the Third Ward Complete Communities Action Plan, the Third Ward Comprehensive Needs Assessment Data Report, and HCEDD community meetings.

Member organizations as of December 5, 2019 include:

• Emancipation Economic Development Council

• Third Ward is Home Civic Club

• Houston Society for Change

• Houston Black American Democrats

• Texas Coalition of Black Democrats - Harris County

• Northern Third Ward Neighborhood Implementation Project

• Greater Third Ward Superneighborhood 67

• Project Row Houses

• International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 88

• Harris County AFL-CIO 

• Senate District 13  

• C-STEM Teacher and Student Support Services, Inc.

Sincerely,

-[Name]

[organization/affiliation/who you are]

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Luminare said:

It's not nimbyism - that's when somebody doesn't want something that will bring noise or traffic or visual blight. They don't care about any of that. This is more like gimmeism. Oh, you're developing something near where I live? Gimme jobs. Gimme cheap housing. Gimme cheap groceries. Otherwise I'll use politicians and the media to try to bludgeon you and your development. You thought you owned land in my fiefdom Midtown and could build what you wanted on it? Cute.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

It's not nimbyism - that's when somebody doesn't want something that will bring noise or traffic or visual blight. They don't care about any of that. This is more like gimmeism. Oh, you're developing something near where I live? Gimme jobs. Gimme cheap housing. Gimme cheap groceries.

I think you need to coin that! I like that word haha.

Basically they have an Entitlement Complex. They truly feel that the world owes them something when in realty...nobody does.

• Like 2