29 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Basically they are worried that the Ion will displace the huge homeless population in that area and instead they want the Ion to house the homeless, provide them public restrooms, and give jobs to the people of the area.

So are they protesting the I45 realignment?  I'm sure that will displace more homeless than The Ion.  

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder if the students would be willing to provide the homeless with housing on the Rice campus. Perhaps they could make their dorms more "inclusive" and bring the homeless in to live with them?

Great idea!  Let's see them put their words into action.  There are a bunch of nice covered walkways and other sheltered areas on Rice's campus.  Invite the homeless over there. Problem solved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder if the students would be willing to provide the homeless with housing on the Rice campus. Perhaps they could make their dorms more "inclusive" and bring the homeless in to live with them?

Maybe they can also let the homeless into the coffee shops they go to that are near the 59 in downtown. There are restrooms in there as well.

I don't know about you, but when I want to learn about homelessness or what to do with them, you know who I listen too, the top 1% who go to places like Rice, and who are from the ages of 18-22. You won't believe how wise and smart they are!

Basically they are worried that the Ion will displace the huge homeless population in that area and instead they want the Ion to house the homeless, provide them public restrooms, and give jobs to the people of the area.

I also think its hilarious that this has been an issue for years, but NOW they care. NOW they want to do something about it.

• Like 3

Rice is a university, so you'd have to expect some type of student opposition to its actions from a segment of its students.  This segment, even with Rice's relatively small enrollment, appears to be quite small: Facebook indicates it has only 39 followers and 38 "likes."   

The one point the group makes with which I am somewhat sympathetic is Fiesta's presence in what would otherwise be a food desert.  I am curious if Rice would explore a Buffalo Heights-type development with a grocery store in the Innovation District in the longer term.  I suspect there would be a benefit to attract additional density around the store.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Rice is a university, so you'd have to expect some type of student opposition to its actions from a segment of its students.  This segment, even with Rice's relatively small enrollment, appears to be quite small: Facebook indicates it has only 39 followers and 38 "likes."   

It does seem like just a few students trying to build their resume for grad school, and would probably go away if the Chronicle would stop giving them coverage. Nancy Sarnoff devoted a whole episode of her Looped In podcast to this group.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

The one point the group makes with which I am somewhat sympathetic is Fiesta's presence in what would otherwise be a food desert.  I am curious if Rice would explore a Buffalo Heights-type development with a grocery store in the Innovation District in the longer term.  I suspect there would be a benefit to attract additional density around the store.

Part of my issue too is exactly this....nobody knows the full scope of Rice's plans yet. Why can't we just wait to see what happens?

• Like 1

It does seem like just a few students trying to build their resume for grad school, and would probably go away if the Chronicle would stop giving them coverage. Nancy Sarnoff devoted a whole episode of her Looped In podcast to this group.

It's all about the clicks nowadays. 

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Having heard that Rice "begged" Fiesta to stay, I would imagine that Rice is indeed exploring including a grocery in their long-term plans.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Luminare said:
11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I also think its hilarious that this has been an issue for years, but NOW they care. NOW they want to do something about it.

Agree. I didn't hear much squawking when the tent city under 59 was cleared out and fenced off a year or so ago, which probably displaced more people than are currently frequenting the area.

• Like 2

ah I'm on the fence.  on one hand  , there are people  who need help. On the other  many of them at that area are not homeless. I know  I dealt with them for years when I was assigned to Hermann park and other parks in the area. What happens is Drug dealers mix into the groups because they know that  they are social outcasts. So many people  try to avoid prolonged eye contact including the cops.  it a far more complex issue that most would admit. 

You don't want to persecute a person for being homeless. However you cant be naive  either and pretend that all of them are down on their luck. unfortunately  clustering like that only invites, drugs , violence and a ton of other crimes.  sadly many of them also cluster to protect themselves  from those very things... like I said complex.

Edited by Brandon55
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Brandon55 said:

ah I'm on the fence.  on one hand  , there are people  who need help. On the other  many of them at that area are not homeless. . . Drug dealers mix into the groups. . .

Yes, for all it’s progress,  Midtown still has a healthy population of drug dealers that prey on the homeless.  However, if our community finds a way to successfully treat the homeless and get them off the street, the drug pushers would likely disappear, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brandon55 said:

ah I'm on the fence.  on one hand  , there are people  who need help. On the other  many of them at that area are not homeless. I know  I dealt with them for years when I was assigned to Hermann park and other parks in the area. What happens is Drug dealers mix into the groups because they know that  they are social outcasts. So many people  try to avoid prolonged eye contact including the cops.  it a far more complex issue that most would admit. 

You don't want to persecute a person for being homeless. However you cant be naive  either and pretend that all of them are down on their luck. unfortunately  clustering like that only invites, drugs , violence and a ton of other crimes.  sadly many of them also cluster to protect themselves  from those very things... like I said complex.

What are you on the fence about? Do you think that the Ion development should have to house them, provide them jobs, etc.?

WE are not alone in this epidemic of street people and there are a lot of cities that are having to cope with this very same problem.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that should probably be receiving mental health treatment but you can't force them and most don't want the help. 

There are also a good many that are addicted to drugs, and alcohol. Our health services especially the emergency fire and ambulance personnel are heavily burdened and often 

returning to pick up the same person who has just been released from a hospital only to be in need again. A lot of this has to do with the changing of the mental health laws that put many of these people back on the streets. Unfortunately no-one has seemed to come up with a solution that's equitable for all. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

What are you on the fence about? Do you think that the Ion development should have to house them, provide them jobs, etc.?

No , I dont think that the responsibility of private sector. That on is on us( society) 

32 minutes ago, bobruss said:

WE are not alone in this epidemic of street people and there are a lot of cities that are having to cope with this very same problem.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that should probably be receiving mental health treatment but you can't force them and most don't want the help. 

There are also a good many that are addicted to drugs, and alcohol. Our health services especially the emergency fire and ambulance personnel are heavily burdened and often 

returning to pick up the same person who has just been released from a hospital only to be in need again. A lot of this has to do with the changing of the mental health laws that put many of these people back on the streets. Unfortunately no-one has seemed to come up with a solution that's equitable for all. 

Hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I apologize because we’re getting off topic here.  But I will add in just this one comment on what is an important side topic.  I have traveled to Japan — most recently in late ‘18 — and see a very different picture.  I have been all over that city and beyond.  All kinds of neighborhoods.  Rich, poor, touristy and local.  I don’t remember seeing ANY homeless people.  The sidewalks are clean.  Their streets are safe (so safe, in fact, that people park their bikes on the sidewalk and don’t lock them).  I’m guessing that Japan has its share of poor, mentally ill people.  What are they doing differently to help these people so that they don’t live in filth on the streets, turn to drugs and resort to petty theft for money?  Maybe the answer to the homeless problem at home has already been answered. Maybe we just need to study and adopt best-practices from others.  Just a thought.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

I have traveled to Japan — most recently in late ‘18 — and see a very different picture.  I have been all over that city and beyond.  All kinds of neighborhoods.  Rich, poor, touristy and local.  I don’t remember seeing ANY homeless people.  The sidewalks are clean.  Their streets are safe (so safe, in fact, that people park their bikes on the sidewalk and don’t lock them).  I’m guessing that Japan has its share of poor, mentally ill people.  What are they doing differently to help these people so that they don’t live in filth on the streets, turn to drugs and resort to petty theft for money?  Maybe the answer to the homeless problem at home has already been answered. Maybe we just need to study and adopt best-practices from others.  Just a thought.  

You won't see homeless people in China, either.  In both countries, they are taken care of by their families.  Our culture is different, with much weaker family ties, so in the US they don't have the support network from their family that they would have in some other countries.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rechlin said:

You won't see homeless people in China, either.  In both countries, they are taken care of by their families. 

Beg pardon?

According to many sources, there are hundreds of thousands of homeless people in China.

I don't know if anyone rolls through this area often, but the homeless in the area have been completely changed since a year ago, starting with the breaking up of the camp. That left many of those individuals loitering in the area up until maybe a month and half ago, when I really noticed that some of the homeless that I had gotten to know (yes I'm that guy, I'm sorry) no longer aggressively asked for money from cars when I was at the lights. Some of them seemed to have moved on because I don't see them in the mornings or nights anymore.

I think something has already changed either in the way the police have been handling them (they are out there kind of frequently) or because of pressure from Rice/the neighborhood associations. My neighborhood associated did mention that they have been working with area shelters/police officers to help the population shift from that spot under 59 by Fiesta. I second that notion about the drug dealers though, I always feel bad when I see the older G's out there with the backpacks counting money with the zombie'd out people sitting next to him. 

Or im completely wrong and its just too hot so they aint wanting to come outside. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

You won't see homeless people in China, either.  In both countries, they are taken care of by their families.  Our culture is different, with much weaker family ties, so in the US they don't have the support network from their family that they would have in some other countries.

That's a common misconception. I've traveled to Asia many many times (my wife is Vietnamese) and there are homeless everywhere, just as much as there are here. As I said, it's an issue that every major city has to grapple with, even around the world. You will have quite a large amount of people begging for money in China and Vietnam. We even saw it in Taiwan and Taiwan is very modern.

3 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I apologize because we’re getting off topic here.  But I will add in just this one comment on what is an important side topic.  I have traveled to Japan — most recently in late ‘18 — and see a very different picture.  I have been all over that city and beyond.  All kinds of neighborhoods.  Rich, poor, touristy and local.  I don’t remember seeing ANY homeless people.  The sidewalks are clean.  Their streets are safe (so safe, in fact, that people park their bikes on the sidewalk and don’t lock them).  I’m guessing that Japan has its share of poor, mentally ill people.  What are they doing differently to help these people so that they don’t live in filth on the streets, turn to drugs and resort to petty theft for money?  Maybe the answer to the homeless problem at home has already been answered. Maybe we just need to study and adopt best-practices from others.  Just a thought.  

I spent 2 weeks in Japan back in '17.  The homeless people were super low key and off beaten paths.  The ones I saw had all their stuff with them and didn't setup till after last train.

• Like 1