8 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

I think people are happy fiesta is closing because of how it looks. It's an eyesore driving down 59, its a building on half the block and surface parking on the other half, this structure literally belongs in the suburbs. It has nothing to do with the fact that its a "fiesta" and everything to do with how it looks. The closing of the store is "good news" because 1. It's shows that this major development is moving forward 2. The area itself will look a lot more appealing once everything is done.  How are you going to be annoyed that this is closing but want this project 😂 fiesta isn't a small mom and pop store, if they wanted to downsize and stay in the area, they could. 

912448620_ScreenShot2020-07-07at11_17_17AM.png.59711cc63ea3a1fa702f55850712999f.png

Fiesta is a great idea with poor execution. I think they have a great market, but haven't been able to capitalize on it. I am hopeful they figure out how to grow and make money. No reason why they cant attract a variety of customers.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I think people are happy fiesta is closing because of how it looks. It's an eyesore driving down 59, its a building on half the block and surface parking on the other half, this structure literally belongs in the suburbs. It has nothing to do with the fact that its a "fiesta" and everything to do with how it looks. The closing of the store is "good news" because 1. It's shows that this major development is moving forward 2. The area itself will look a lot more appealing once everything is done.  How are you going to be annoyed that this is closing but want this project 😂 fiesta isn't a small mom and pop store, if they wanted to downsize and stay in the area, they could. 

You think people are excited a business (that is surrounded by empty parking lots) is closing because it has a parking lot? If this was 5-10 years from now when Rice has completed developed every other phase of construction, I could see that. This closing will only add to the emptiness in the neighborhood and remove an affordable grocery option for a large swath of central Houston. I understand that negotiations were not successful, but this is not a good turn of events for any stakeholder (Rice included).

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

You think people are excited a business (that is surrounded by empty parking lots) is closing because it has a parking lot? If this was 5-10 years from now when Rice has completed developed every other phase of construction, I could see that. This closing will only add to the emptiness in the neighborhood and remove an affordable grocery option for a large swath of central Houston. I understand that negotiations were not successful, but this is not a good turn of events for any stakeholder (Rice included).

Isn't there another grocery store near Midtown? Pretty sure there is. Maybe they are doing more brisk business?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Quite right.  My understanding is that Fiesta's lease had expired and that RIce "begged" them to stay.  Hopefully, Rice can accelerate their plans for the Fiesta block (without delaying their plans for other blocks...).

• Like 5

Have we chosen a name yet for this area of Midtown? I miss the days of Swamplot. 

I'll start.

SoMid--that's South Midtown. Or SoMid(dle of the road and uninspired and full of transients that are being heralded as the new urbane Houstonians but stay less than a year and have trash tastes)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HOU_huckster said:

Have we chosen a name yet for this area of Midtown? I miss the days of Swamplot. 

I'll start.

SoMid--that's South Midtown. Or SoMid(dle of the road and uninspired and full of transients that are being heralded as the new urbane Houstonians but stay less than a year and have trash tastes)

It'sstillpartofgreater3rdwardyouyuppiescum has a nice ring to it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, HOU_huckster said:

I'll start.

SMID - South Midtown Innovation District

...or maybe SoMID?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Big E said:

Isn't there another grocery store near Midtown? Pretty sure there is. Maybe they are doing more brisk business?

The closest grocery stores to Fiesta are Kroger (1.5 miles), HEB (2 miles), HEB (2 miles), Randalls (1.5 miles). That doesn't sound far, but that is 20 mins on the bus or 30 min walk each way. This is the closest store for me to bike to and it takes around 5 mins to get there, but I am limited on what I can purchase.

Those other grocers are offering delivery services, which may be leeching clientele from Fiesta.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

The closest grocery stores to Fiesta are Kroger (1.5 miles), HEB (2 miles), HEB (2 miles), Randalls (1.5 miles). That doesn't sound far, but that is 20 mins on the bus or 30 min walk each way. This is the closest store for me to bike to and it takes around 5 mins to get there, but I am limited on what I can purchase.

Those other grocers are offering delivery services, which may be leeching clientele from Fiesta.

There is Whole Foods 1 mile away...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Slightly off topic and total speculation, but I don't see how HEB doesn't plant a huge Central Market or HEB in Midtown in the next 3-5 years with the amount of luxury housing and quality development U/C or proposed in Downtown, Midtown, and Museum District.  This corridor becomes more walkable and livable every year. I'd be shocked if HEB isn't engaging in early discussions for a  destination store likely a part of a grander development - maybe the South Main Innovation District?

• Like 4

Two things: 1) that fiesta has had a full parking lot all day with just regular joes cars, no big trucks with equipment, so I guess the community knows and is trying to get some deals; and 2) this morning I saw some bros in suits walking around the lot. Its hot outside for a suit right now, so I'm assuming this wasn't just some randoms walking around with suits in that area, lol. Strange day. 

• Like 4

Fiesta says homeless was the reason but a blind and deaf man knows why - why even lie?

Once you head east there are no grocery options outside of an old Kroger on Polk I think. The next Fiesta is way on Griggs or the Wal Mart off Wayside

can someone explain why the homeless found that place to be popular from the past? Was it always a problem in the 60s and 70s?

Edited by hbcu
  • Like 1

these places:

Randalls on Louisiana

Kombat Kroger

Fiesta on Wayside

HEB in Gulfgate

Fiesta on Mikawa at 610

brand new HEB on 288/McGreggor (replaced HEB on Scott/OST)

Walmart on Wayside has been a thing for a number of years now

if you consider smaller places, there's an Aldi on OST, a Sellers Bros on Canal near Wayside, La Michoacana on Lawndale at 75th, and so many smaller places.

east of 288, south of buffalo bayou, and inside the loop (and including Midtown) is sparse for grocery, but we aren't wanting, there are options, the loss of this Fiesta is not going to be noticed.

and yeah, if I were asked why I didn't shop at this Fiesta, number 1 reason on my list would be homeless.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is a *huge* area you're talking about. That Fiesta absolutely fills a need - I shopped there pretty regularly when I lived nearby simply because it was nearby and *good enough.*

Without it there, there are no grocery stores south of Elgin until you get past the Medical Center. Partly this is a question of scale - these are urban neighborhoods, and part of the benefit of an urban neighborhood is walkability. For that to be sustainable, you need someplace to go to get groceries. That doesn't have to be an HEB - Michoacana, Phoenicia, or even more of a hipster bodega like Revival works, but right now there is nothing. 

• Like 6