Crazy prediction

Okay. I'm going to go out on a limb to make a prediction here. Sometime during the next five years, the total value spent on developments in Las Colinas in a single year will superceded the total value spent on developments in all of the Houston Metropolitan area in a single year. If I am wrong, then I will bow down to the mighty tall skyscrapers in Houston.

Let's keep an eye on what is going on and update that information in this thread from time to time. Thank you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. I'm going to go out on a limb to make a prediction here. Sometime during the next five years, the total value spent on developments in Las Colinas in a single year will superceded the total value spent on developments in all of the Houston Metropolitan area in a single year. If I am wrong, then I will bow down to the mighty tall skyscrapers in Houston.

Let's keep an eye on what is going on and update that information in this thread from time to time. Thank you.

Nucklehead, you really are a Nucklehead.

Nucklehead, you really are a Nucklehead.

Thanks. My first choice was Numbskull but I didn't know how to spell it.

Oh. By Las Colinas this includes its lead in develops also. This would be the new developments planned on the land freed up when Texas Stadium is demolished, both corridors of 161 leading into it, and the Freeport development to the west of it.

Now comes the hard part.

Waiting.

"Whistling"

OK, Houston metro had over $13 Billion under construction in 2007, an increase over the $12 Billion in 2006. Not planned. Not proposed. Under construction. 2008 is likely up over 2007. Total 5 year construction total is over $53 Billion.

Your turn.

This has to be the most seriously deranged topic ever created at HAIF. Moderators, someone is wasting your bandwidth. Is somebody actually paying money so that nucklehead has a place to write out his 'crazy predictions'?

Nucklehead has practically admitted to being a troll now. Even he calls his own prediction crazy. So not even he seriously believes what he just wrote out. If that isn't creating a thread just for some personal attention, I don't know what is.

Delete thread request. This topic has the word 'flaming' written all over it. The only way this won't turn into total Houston vs Dallas anarchy is that I don't think we are even going to find anyone in Dallas that believes what nucklehead just wrote. Some Houstonians might get stirred up, but I guess that is the only point to this thread.

OK, Houston metro had over $13 Billion under construction in 2007, an increase over the $12 Billion in 2006. Not planned. Not proposed. Under construction. 2008 is likely up over 2007. Total 5 year construction total is over $53 Billion.

Your turn.

Well! One year total? That is going to be tough to beat. There is 4 billion in private TOD investment now in Las Colinas but it is waiting on Light Rail and for Texas stadium to get demolished. Development has already began in anticipation of the stations but it is certain to accelerate the closer those become a reality. Perhaps development will fall a little in Houston while Las Colinas has its best year. The business district could also get a large relocation or two.

Whenever something eventful happens, I'll post it in here.

Stay tuned.

"Whistling"

I know it's stupid to even entertain this thread, but I would assume that the Med Center alone would be in competition with Las Colinas. Anyone?

I would compare the Medical Center to the Telecom Center in Richardson. Telecom Center: 25 million in quality high tech space. Medical Center: 25 million in total space. The Medical Center does look awesome. Certainly one of 3 major business centers in close proximity that make up Houston's single polar metropolitan area.

Las Colinas really has developed beyond the Telecom corridor or the Medical Center in Houston in that it is developing its own lead in developments. In order to arrive at Las Colinas, one will pass through lead in developments first.

Well! One year total? That is going to be tough to beat. There is 4 billion in private TOD investment now in Las Colinas but it is waiting on Light Rail and for Texas stadium to get demolished. Development has already began in anticipation of the stations but it is certain to accelerate the closer those become a reality. Perhaps development will fall a little in Houston while Las Colinas has its best year. The business district could also get a large relocation or two.

Whenever something eventful happens, I'll post it in here.

Stay tuned.

"Whistling"

Wrong again! That $4 Billion in PLANNED development (not even under construction) is for all of Irving, according to Irving city officials.

Man, I do love b##ch slapping this troll!!! :lol:

Wrong again! That $4 Billion in PLANNED development (not even under construction) is for all of Irving, according to Irving city officials.

Man, I do love b##ch slapping this troll!!! :lol:

Why are you ruining my thread?

I already posted those numbers and I'm not going to do it again.

Please go back and look it up.

Of course, all of the TODs in Irving will be built along the stations along the orange line which are either in Las Colinas or in the lead up developments before or after Las Colinas.

I would compare the Medical Center to the Telecom Center in Richardson. Telecom Center: 25 million in quality high tech space. Medical Center: 25 million in total space. The Medical Center does look awesome. Certainly one of 3 major business centers in close proximity that make up Houston's single polar metropolitan area.

Wow. About 2/3 the size of the TMC. And completely, utterly, incomparable in just about every way imaginable.

permabanned3uc7.gif

Of course, all of the TODs in Irving will be built along the stations along the orange line which are either in Las Colinas or in the lead up developments before or after Las Colinas.

WTF?

Mods, please leave this thread open. It's comedy.

Nucklehead ownage!!! :lol:

Dallas Morning News article

The pertinent part...

Water Street is among more than 95 development projects worth more than $4 billion being planned in Irving.

Note that these are all over Irving, and only PLANNED projects. My numbers are actually construction projects that started in each of those years.

Also note that I found that article, which is dated June 27, 2008, on Dallas Metropolis, which is where you should go back to.

At first I was annoyed by this thread, but now it is really is starting to make me laugh out loud. I guess next, nuckledhead will tell us that within 10 years Las Colinas will surpass New York City in population and that from now on DFW will be referred to as the Las Colinas metropolitan area and Dallas and Ft Worth are just suburbs of Las Colina, Texas (where ever that is). In reality no one outside Texas (and few outside DFW) ever even heard of it. It isn't even on the map.

If nucklehead can start a thread called 'Crazy predictions' then maybe we all should. I predict that within 1 year DFW will have been eaten up by global warming and everyone will have moved to back to where they came from. It was 107 today, it's supposed to be 108 tomorrow. I think this explains all these nonsensical and incoherent ramblings coming from the north.

At first I was annoyed by this thread, but now it is really is starting to make me laugh out loud. I guess next, nuckledhead will tell us that within 10 years Las Colinas will surpass New York City in population and that from now on DFW will be referred to as the Las Colinas metropolitan area and Dallas and Ft Worth are just suburbs of Las Colina, Texas (where ever that is). In reality no one outside Texas (and few outside DFW) ever even heard of it. It isn't even on the map.

If nucklehead can start a thread called 'Crazy predictions' then maybe we all should. I predict that within 1 year DFW will have been eaten up by global warming and everyone will have moved to back to where they came from. It was 107 today, it's supposed to be 108 tomorrow. I think this explains all these nonsensical and incoherent ramblings coming from the north.

Well, my real concern is that Houston added in value this year the entire net worth of the real estate in the city of Irving. But I am still bullish on Las Colinas. It always attracts enormous investment as it will during this next round of expansion. We will see.

I heard Las Colinas is a front-runner for hosting the next Olympics on US soil, and also that it will become the new capital of Texas as soon as legislators realize its awesomeness.

I also heard Las Colinas is still a dry area, so it automatically sucks.

Well, my real concern is that Houston added in value this year the entire net worth of the real estate in the city of Irving. But I am still bullish on Las Colinas. It always attracts enormous investment as it will during this next round of expansion. We will see.

Why are you concerned? In fact, why did you create this idiotic thread? In fact, why are you doing any of this at all? Not that we don't already know the answers to these questions. The subject of this thread is not about Las Colinas, DFW or Houston. It is about YOU and you know it.

In the never ending battle for title of Texas' superior city, I'm glad you are not on our side. You are not helping to promote the Las Colinas metropolitan area at all. You don't sound bullish about it, you actually are coming off sounding like you are trying to make fun of it. That is just how 'crazy' your prediction is.

It would be like me going on to the Chicago forum and creating a thread that predicted that Houston was going to build the 5 tallest buildings in the country within the next year. I would only be setting Houston up for a barrage of insults and no one would take me or my city seriously. And what would be the point? What a waste of human energy.

I'll be glad when school starts up. Maybe then you'll worry about getting your algebra homework to your teacher on time and stop wasting bandwidth on this otherwise terrific web site.

What's Las Colinas? I've never even heard of it.

Edit: And I'm not trying to be funny, I really don't know what Las Calinas is.

Las Colinas is a suburban business district in Irving. It has its own little people-mover system, and with DART's financial troubles, the Orange Line won't be going there for a while (something nucklehead won't mention). It's close to DFW Airport, too. That's about it.

Sounds to me like Nucklehead either owns land in Las Colinas or is a real estate agent in that area.

Oh, and from now on -- if you're going to throw numbers around (I'm talking to both sides here) you'd better have sources and/or links to back them up.

And once again I'll quote from the top of this page:

My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF

And their Bennigans shut down last week.

I didn't expect much from this thread until some numbers do come in which could take some time. I'm just thinking that part of the reason Uptown is slowing down, besides a dip in the economy of course, is that a shift is taking place with investors deciding to invest in Las Colinas in the future. The investment in Uptown, and in Central Dallas in particular, is going to be focused rather than spread out as has been the case.

Las Colinas tends to attract phenomonal investment. I'll post numbers on this in the future. The last investment which was over 7 billion lost steam as most investors decided to wait on the arrival of Light Rail while demand for office space fell. Then the plan for what to do with Texas stadium was submitted which became another dead line.

I think development from Las Colinas is going to spill into this new Texas stadium site and not the other way around.

Let us see if any of this does indeed come true.

Back to waiting.

"Whistling"

Why are you concerned? In fact, why did you create this idiotic thread? In fact, why are you doing any of this at all? Not that we don't already know the answers to these questions. The subject of this thread is not about Las Colinas, DFW or Houston. It is about YOU and you know it.

In the never ending battle for title of Texas' superior city, I'm glad you are not on our side. You are not helping to promote the Las Colinas metropolitan area at all. You don't sound bullish about it, you actually are coming off sounding like you are trying to make fun of it. That is just how 'crazy' your prediction is.

It would be like me going on to the Chicago forum and creating a thread that predicted that Houston was going to build the 5 tallest buildings in the country within the next year. I would only be setting Houston up for a barrage of insults and no one would take me or my city seriously. And what would be the point? What a waste of human energy.

I'll be glad when school starts up. Maybe then you'll worry about getting your algebra homework to your teacher on time and stop wasting bandwidth on this otherwise terrific web site.

I just think people in Houston don't see a shift in the office market in DFW. Once again, downtown Dallas hasn't been the premium district to build office buildings for a while now. That designation goes to the little micro downtown of Preston Center which only has that distinction because of its marvelous location and its very limited area to build. The premium area for business in the future is going to be around Las Colinas, in my opinion, with the premium area in Central Dallas concentrated around the Arts District.

People keep focusing on Central Dallas which has been a shrinking market for some time now when compared to the business districts of Las Colinas, the Platinum Corridor and the Telecom Corridor.

Take the added office space in Uptown and in downtown Dallas and subtract that from the office space lost to conversions to that of a hotel and to that to housing conversions (Mercantile and Republic) in downtown Dallas and the office market has been shrinking since the 80s.

When this pridiction was made, I wasn't expecting it to do anything for a while. Right now I'm just waiting for numbers.

I think regardless of what does happen with this prediction, people are going to be impressed with the pocket Hercules Las Colinas has become.

I just think people in Houston don't see a shift in the office market in DFW. Once again, downtown Dallas hasn't been the premium district to build office buildings for a while now. That designation goes to the little micro downtown of Preston Center which only has that distinction because of its marvelous location and its very limited area to build. The premium area for business in the future is going to be around Las Colinas, in my opinion, with the premium area in Central Dallas concentrated around the Arts District.

People keep focusing on Central Dallas which has been a shrinking market for some time now when compared to the business districts of Las Colinas, the Platinum Corridor and the Telecom Corridor.

Take the added office space in Uptown and in downtown Dallas and subtract that from the office space lost to conversions to that of a hotel and to that to housing conversions (Mercantile and Republic) in downtown Dallas and the office market has been shrinking since the 80s.

When this pridiction was made, I wasn't expecting it to do anything for a while. Right now I'm just waiting for numbers.

I think regardless of what does happen with this prediction, people are going to be impressed with the pocket Hercules Las Colinas has become.

Why don't you make any sense?

*prepares for page long rambling on Las Colinas*

Las Colinas is a suburban business district in Irving. It has its own little people-mover system, and with DART's financial troubles, the Orange Line won't be going there for a while (something nucklehead won't mention). It's close to DFW Airport, too. That's about it.

Las Colinas was just a suburban office park before its last expansion. We tend to think of urban in established terms, tall buildings for example, rather than including whatever it has become in its contemporary form. Right now contemporary urban is low rise, mixed use developments based around TOD and town centers. The developments in Irving will begin with small amounts of office space.

Las Colinas isn't a suburban office park but something between that and the conventional downtown best defined as a boomburb:

http://www.mi.vt.edu/data/files/talks/planning_boomburbs.pdf

Unlike the typical office park, Las Colinas is developing into the undenible centerpiece of its own lead in developments. This would include development north of it along the LBJ freeway in Farmers Branch, developments west in the Freeport office park and in DFW airport itself, along the 161 corridor to its south, and the new developments expected to happen to the east once the Cowboys move to Arlington so that Texas stadium can be demolished.

Archived