Lawndale St. And Telephone Rd.

I caught an early flight home from Love field this afternoon and I decided to explore a little. I exited Telephone Rd from I-45 and headed North. Around Lawndale there is a neighborhood with some nice older homes. I believe the huge cemetary was to the East of me. At any rate as I was driving through the school zone near a High School I noticed a bunch of kids running towards my car. I was little nervous until I noticed a fist fight between two kids. I decided it was none of my business so I drove past it. As I went by a couple of kids jumped in front of my car and screamed something. They moved out of my way and I moved on, but not before one of them tossed a rock at my car. It sucked.

I was not overly frightened by the experience, but I was confused as to what was going on. I have read about that neighborhood on this board and thought it was nicer than that.

With that said, I realize that it is spring break and these kids were all probably fired up to be out of school for a week. There was a minor scratch on the car, but nothing too major.

I guess my question is what High School is over there. It seemed a littly tough?

This post was not meant to be a slight on that neighborhood, I was left a little puzzled that is all.

I caught an early flight home from Love field this afternoon and I decided to explore a little.  I exited Telephone Rd from I-45 and headed North.  Around Lawndale there is a neighborhood with some nice older homes.    I believe the huge cemetary was to the East of me.  At any rate as I was driving through the school zone near a High School I noticed a bunch of kids running towards my car.  I was little nervous until I noticed a fist fight between two kids.  I decided it was none of my business so I drove past it.  As I went by a couple of kids jumped in front of my car and screamed something.  They moved out of my way and I moved on, but not before one of them tossed a rock at my car.    It sucked. 

I was not overly frightened by the experience, but I was confused as to what was going on.  I have read about that neighborhood on this board and thought it was nicer than that.     

With that said,  I realize that it is spring break and these kids were all probably fired up to be out of school for a week.  There was a minor scratch on the car, but nothing too major. 

I guess my question is what High School is over there.  It seemed a littly tough?

This post was not meant to be a slight on that neighborhood, I was left a little puzzled that is all.

That's Austin High School.....if you would have driven a little further up Telephone you would have hit Eastwood. I will say kids have no respect anymore...

That's the quirkiness of the Eastside for ya.

send me an email and i'll give you directions to the places you wanted to explore.

Guest danax

The only high school over there is Austin. Those neighborhoods near there are transitional. I know a 60 year old woman who lives in Dissen Heights, which is right next to Stonewall Jackson Middle School (what a name) and she's never had any problems that I know of. Broadmoor is another neighborhood near Lawndale & Telephone and Eastwood is to the north a bit.

I commend you on your explorations. Sounds like your timing was interesting. I don't know the reputation Austin. My daughter went one year to Milby High, which is the other high school on the Eastend and she thought that there was less crime and drugs than Spring High, which she also attended. She did think the academics at Milby were far inferior though.

The only high school over there is Austin. Those neighborhoods near there are transitional. I know a 60 year old woman who lives in Dissen Heights, which is right next to Stonewall Jackson Middle School (what a name) and she's never had any problems that I know of. Broadmoor is another neighborhood near Lawndale & Telephone and Eastwood is to the north a bit.

I commend you on your explorations. Sounds like your timing was interesting. I don't know the reputation Austin. My daughter went one year to Milby High, which is the other high school on the Eastend and she thought that there was less crime and drugs than Spring High, which she also attended. She did think the academics at Milby were far inferior though.

I think the timing was interesting as it was 3:15 on a Friday before Spring Break. I went to private HS and we went wolvey the week before Spring Break. I only wish I could my company to shut down for a week every March. I might get worked up as well.

Sorry to hear of your experiances in the area around Austin HS. I am new to this board/site but already love it however I live on Scharpe St located in Broadmoor which is bordered by Austin HS.

So a few stories on the area from what I have noticed from living there for a year now and my previous home (townhome) in the Heights.

Great neighborhood!!! For the most part the homes are pretty much all brick and all in a state of renewal. I bought in the East Side for investment reasons however I also live in my investment as I am convinced that this side of town is on the verge of great things occuring. The location is one of the prime attributes of the East End with it being so close to the UH, TSU, Downtown, and even the Med Center.

At the time I was looking in the neighborhood and as a newly minted Realtor I found another Home on Munger one street up from Scharpe which I helped my Girl Friend buy and where she now lives as well. A little background we are both white and aged 27 and 23 and both love the place. For the most part all the neighbors are very nice and we have frequent bar-b-q's and get togethers and watch out for each other's properties when on trips. My next door neighbor and his wife also insist on providing trips to IAH and I likewise give them rides to the airport.

It should be noted that the Area Constable Victor Trevino lives in Broadmoor and he does a pretty good job keeping the area watched over and he also throws a big yearly neighborhood party as well. I have two neighbors across the street that are trouble one being a Tow truck driver who is frequently on drugs of some sort and supposdly beating his wife and always getting kicked out although he has cleaned up his act a little bit but I also noticed that they are two years behind on taxes so hopefully this situation will fix itself. The next was a neighbor that parked ie... planted his Semi Truck in front of his home just the cab portion however it was unsightly and I was able to get HPD to address this issue with a couple parking tickets and finally towing the truck after it had not moved in a long long while. So far the truck has been absent for six months or so now.

Anyhow to conclude Hello to all and I really do enjoy my neighborhood, the neighbors, and seeing all the changes occuring every week.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

I HAVE BEEN LIVING 2 BLOCKS SOUTH OF THAT INTERSECTION FOR 3 YEARS

NOW AND REALLY LIKE THE NEIGHBORHOOD. ALOT OF THE HOMES IN THE AREA

ARE RENTAL PROPERTY, AND ARE IN NEED OF REPAIRS. THE PRICE IS CHEAP

THOUGH, AND SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A GOOD INVESTMENT. THERE ARE

POCKETS OF PROBLEMS THOUGH, BUT THATS ANYWHERE.

ITS UNFORTUNATE YOU HAD A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THIS WAS AN ISOLATED INCIDENT.

Sorry to hear of your experiances in the area around Austin HS. I am new to this board/site but already love it however I live on Scharpe St located in Broadmoor which is bordered by Austin HS.

Welcome to the board. I think you find it a pretty interesting site. There are many great topics and most people are curteous to others. I have seen only a few flames which is nice.

As for the incident in your neighborhood, I have already forgotten about it. No big deal what so ever. I have learned that kids will be kids.

When I was 26 I moved into Midtown. It was 1997 (or 98) and the place was still very rough. But I reall thought the area was cool and wanted to experience the revival. Hopefully you will see that same re-birth in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking here awhile, just never had anything

to add.

Does anyone know what happened to the Perry Home site at the corner of Lawndale/railroad tracks, 2 block south of Telephone?

I personally think what killed them is that they didn't see the adjacent train tracks.  I got trapped there 2 days ago for at least 20 mins.

Train tracks have hindered development in many areas. There are many tracks north of Washintgton Avenue and in the Heights. Then there is the track the runs right through Memorial Park, Uptown and Bellaire. First time I went to Uptown, I was surprised to see that train track right among upscale homes and businesses. It must have taken a lot of courage to build expensive homes right next to a railroad track. May be, they are hoping it would go away someday. Well, I hope it does. It is also a major traffic bottleneck for those driving on Westheimer, Richmond and San Felipe.

In regards to Perry Homes, has anyone seen the homes on Woodridge.  I watched them being built, and question the longevity. Does anyone think these homes will still be nice in 10 or 15 yrs.

Concur, but most new construction is not designed for longevity. All of the newer projects even look cheap, like a rush job. If it's like that on the outside, just think at how they were built. At one time, things WERE built with pride, now most builders are just out to make a quick buck. Go look at the apartments in midtown, they are only a few years old and already look bad.

When i purchased I looked at new and was disappointed. A friend of mine is general contractor and came with me on one of my trips. We looked at some townhomes in Midtown that were going for 275k. The inside was relatively unfinished. He told me that he could build it for about 1/2 the cost. I also took him to the house i ultimately purchased, he said yes it is old, however it is a solid structure. It's been standing for over 60 years and he said will at least stand another 60 yrs with maintenance. It was a lot of work, but i'm glad i bought in pecan park. i had it appraised recently and they said i had 80k in equity now and i've only had it a little more than 3 years.

On the woodridge project, they also build 4 standalone homes over the back fence (lina and deborah are the streets) I think they are asking about 180k. ridiculous.

Train tracks have hindered development in many areas. There are many tracks north of Washintgton Avenue and in the Heights.

When I was looking to buy my townhouse 2 years ago I looked at Midtown, Montrose and Rice Military area. The reason I did not buy closer to Washington was the train tracks. There were some great houses being built over there, but the ones I could afford were fronting the train tracks. Forget about the delay and the wait, I was not happy with a train cruising by at 2am. I live on the Montrose/Midtown border and I can still hear the train (I assume downtown) blowing their horn at all hours of the night. It is very soft since I am a few miles away. Living right on that would drive me crazy.

When I was looking to buy my townhouse 2 years ago I looked at Midtown, Montrose and Rice Military area.  The reason I did not buy closer to Washington was the train tracks.  There were some great houses being built over there, but the ones I could afford were fronting the train tracks.  Forget about the delay and the wait, I was not happy with a train cruising by at 2am.    I live on the Montrose/Midtown border and I can still hear the train (I assume downtown) blowing their horn at all hours of the night.  It is very soft since I am a few miles away.  Living right on that would drive me crazy.

Does anyone know how many of these tracks are heavily used and which ones are abandoned/lightly used? Perhaps some of those tracks could be removed. I believe I read/heard it somewhere that the city is trying to do that.

Does anyone know how many of these tracks are heavily used and which ones are abandoned/lightly used? Perhaps some of those tracks could be removed. I believe I read/heard it somewhere that the city is trying to do that.

i know ones in the eastside, off of washington, and those just inside the loop are used. many of the abandoned ones have already been removed. and YES the horns at 3am are ridiculous. I live about 1 mile from several sets of tracks and hear their horns blow.

• 1 year later...
I caught an early flight home from Love field this afternoon and I decided to explore a little. I exited Telephone Rd from I-45 and headed North. Around Lawndale there is a neighborhood with some nice older homes. I believe the huge cemetary was to the East of me. At any rate as I was driving through the school zone near a High School I noticed a bunch of kids running towards my car. I was little nervous until I noticed a fist fight between two kids. I decided it was none of my business so I drove past it. As I went by a couple of kids jumped in front of my car and screamed something. They moved out of my way and I moved on, but not before one of them tossed a rock at my car. It sucked.

I was not overly frightened by the experience, but I was confused as to what was going on. I have read about that neighborhood on this board and thought it was nicer than that.

With that said, I realize that it is spring break and these kids were all probably fired up to be out of school for a week. There was a minor scratch on the car, but nothing too major.

I guess my question is what High School is over there. It seemed a littly tough?

Like everyone said, it was a very isolated incident. (by the High School)

If you shift over closer to the east from Telephone Road & Lawndale by the Forest Park Cemetary you have to be persistant but you can find something very reasonable. About a year ago I sent an email blast to numerous friends, volunteers, collegues to come by and see the bargains. I am presently in the middle around Sunnyland and these houses are selling approx 40-60K which is unheard of these days. Most are 1-2 bedrooms but those prices can you argue? I sent the email as a means of bringing more professional people back in as it once was. And like others in this forum stated its slowly getting back the way it was. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you have a bit of vision and potential to better the area by all means enter. When I 1st saw my home I saw it as a diamond in the rough. What was once a plain simple salt box style home is now Gothic-Victorian with palm trees all around. You get the picture. I have fantastic views to my left of a wooded area and to right side I have the downtown skyline. I converted my never used attic into a loft so in essence I now have a 3 story home with newly added balconies all around. What can I say, it's been a labor of love. Now the not so good part, we are on a consant pursuit of lessening some of the local crime. Now that is everywhere like everyone said. So its not always rosey. There is a 2 story on the 5600 block of Lawson/Sunnyland and it has been vacant for a long time. Looks quite sound on the outside. Please buy it. We need good neighbors. Shout it from the highest mountain!

• The title was changed to Lawndale St. And Telephone Rd.

Archived