HAIF - Houston's original social media

Transit Oriented Developments

We already have one of those plazas/parks in front of our convention center. It will be completly surrounded by highrises in five years. It has proven to be quite successful.

And if you think what nucklehead is saying here is bad, go check him out at Dallas Metropolis. He has that whole site believing Dallas/Irving/DFW Airport, will steal most of Houston's oil companies and Continental Airlines because "they are not smart to be away from the big North American magnet". Something like that.

No. I said Exxon is based in Houston while its global headquarters is based in Las Colinas. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some of the global operations of the oil companies in Houston chose to base their global operations in Las Colinas for the same reason. DFW IS the big magnet of North America because Las Colinas is becoming the premier business district in North America.

In the DFW metroplex, the pull towards DFW and Las Colinas is undeniable as it is a constant threat to get relocations from the other business districts. Any company in any industry could decide to relocate from the Metroplex to Las Colinas and it wouldn't be a shock to anyone. It always makes sense to relocate to Las Colinas. All the other business districts in DFW need gimmicks or subsidies just to compete.

Atlanta's airport, for example, doesn't have a pocket Hercules like Las Colinas built next to it. Atlanta just has a lot of flights and passengers flying in and out. The development that DFW airport has helped establish in and around its immediate area is far more significant than the numbers of flights and passengers that Atlanta's airport handles on a daily bases.

No. I said Exxon is based in Houston while its global headquarters is based in Las Colinas. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some of the global operations of the oil companies in Houston chose to base their global operations in Las Colinas for the same reason. DFW IS the big magnet of North America because Las Colinas is becoming the premier business district in North America.

In the DFW metroplex, the pull towards DFW and Las Colinas is undeniable as it is a constant threat to get relocations from the other business districts. Any company in any industry could decide to relocate from the Metroplex to Las Colinas and it wouldn't be a shock to anyone. It always makes sense to relocate to Las Colinas. All the other business districts in DFW need gimmicks or subsidies just to compete.

Atlanta's airport, for example, doesn't have a pocket Hercules like Las Colinas built next to it. Atlanta just has a lot of flights and passengers flying in and out. The development that DFW airport has helped establish in and around its immediate area is far more significant than the numbers of flights and passengers that Atlanta's airport handles on a daily bases.

For the love of God, stop it already!

Nucklehead, do you not know why tamtagon said that? Ahem..."Mister Nifty" from DM.

Yes Trae. Let me say that you are stunningly beautiful. Can I use your picture as a background for my desk top?

For the love of God, stop it already!

I came to forums to leave the shallow chatrooms, Gary. Have you ever been to a chatroom? Do you think you are in a chatroom?

How are those working out for ya?

The foreigners love the bronze statues because the old episodes of "Dallas" are still doing great around the world. Perhaps the modern world would rather watch a modern oil barron in an episode of "Houston" screw the world as J.R. once did? I had a hell of a time keeping my two sons from poking their eyes out on their horns. Then you have the unsightly bronzed cow manure to watch out for.

I came to forums to leave the shallow chatrooms, Gary.

Talk about shallow chat. Your posts are goofy at best, and I bet I'm speaking for most when I say, stop trolling. It's amazing that you continue your rhetoric as matter of fact when it's almost completely baseless.

Your losing respect, and fast.

Wow, what garabge.

Yes Trae. Let me say that you are stunningly beautiful. Can I use your picture as a background for my desk top?

You're f.cking weird.

Wow, what garabge.

Look, the people in this forum were saying things like "Well, all the development in DFW is happening in and around Uptown while the development in Houston is all spread out." Yet, Las Colinas is booming also. You can't put your finger on what is happening in Dallas because the market is in transition. Has been for many years in fact. When the micro urban area of Preston Center is the premier business district in DFW (only 3 million square feet of office space) something is amiss. I think the premier status in DFW is moving from downtown Dallas to Las Colinas; while, I think the premier status in Central Dallas itself is going to center around the Arts District area. Central Dallas has become too large a district to isolate its premier designation to within a freeway loop as it once did before the 80's collapse.

this thread is getting out of hand. i hate to see the dogpile by the usual suspects. doesn't matter whether nucklehead is right or wrong (regardless of who he/she may be), civility is necessary.

if you don't like what's being said, or have anything constructive to add to the discussion, check out other threads please.

At the risk of starting all of this nonsense up again, I just have to say...every time I've ever been to Las Colinas, I feel like I've stepped onto a movie set that suddenly shut down production. The place is eerily quiet, both during business hours and during the evenings/weekends. There was never anyone in the restaurants, no one on the streets or sidewalks, and the apartments seemed to have maybe 50% occupancy. It felt like the end of the world or something. All that infrastructure -- roads and canals and "people movers" -- just sitting vacant, going to waste.

I don't get it, I guess. Why is Las Colinas such a big deal? I understand that there are some big companies based there and I know they have some decent housing (I've got a friend who rents an apartment in the "CBD" for an exorbitant amount of money...), but it seems deathly quiet considering those facts. Have I missed something every time I've been?

At the risk of starting all of this nonsense up again, I just have to say...every time I've ever been to Las Colinas, I feel like I've stepped onto a movie set that suddenly shut down production. The place is eerily quiet, both during business hours and during the evenings/weekends. There was never anyone in the restaurants, no one on the streets or sidewalks, and the apartments seemed to have maybe 50% occupancy. It felt like the end of the world or something. All that infrastructure -- roads and canals and "people movers" -- just sitting vacant, going to waste.

I don't get it, I guess. Why is Las Colinas such a big deal? I understand that there are some big companies based there and I know they have some decent housing (I've got a friend who rents an apartment in the "CBD" for an exorbitant amount of money...), but it seems deathly quiet considering those facts. Have I missed something every time I've been?

It is quiet now because DART claimed they didn't have the money to finish the rail to Irving [Las Colinas] as planned. There is 4 billion dollars of personal investment in TOD [transit oriented development] waiting to meet up with the rail stations planned along the orange line in Irving. These developments will be in Las Colinas and in its lead in developments. What I find incredible is that one can expect investments to increase the closer one gets to the opening date of the rail stations.

When splitting relocations up into global, national and regional headquarters, Las Colinas is a great place for a global headquarters because of DFW airport, the answer most often given why companies move there, although the business district does have all kinds of national and regional headquarters also.

So true. And the "movie set that suddenly shut down production" is a pretty good description of Victory Park too...

My thing is that it seems so isolated. It even seems isolated from the City of Irving. While I applaud them for trying to create an independent center that can cater to its residents/workers without any outside influence, it seems to also shut itself off from the rest of the Metroplex and its overall vibrancy.

For all the flack that Plano, for example, gets, it at least seems to try to include itself in its immediate surroundings. I don't know if that's intentional or not but it certainly seems to be more prevalent than Las Colinas.

:lol: this is so true.
My thing is that it seems so isolated. It even seems isolated from the City of Irving. While I applaud them for trying to create an independent center that can cater to its residents/workers without any outside influence, it seems to also shut itself off from the rest of the Metroplex and its overall vibrancy.

When I first lived in Dallas, I lived in an apartment in Las Colinas. I can assure you that the isolation is real. NOTHING is close by, though in fairness, nothing is more than 30 minutes away, either. Every trip to get anything or do anything required a 10 to 20 minute drive, whether it be groceries, booze, dining or entertainment. I am sure there are more retail and grocery stores nearby now, but I am also quite sure that the booze, dining and entertainment still requires a 10 to 20 minute drive.

Anf for the love of GOD, someone plant a TREE! Anyone! It looks like a lunar landscape in there!

Some people may find this thread amusing; others, annoying. Whether it's informative is questionable.

If you like the direction this thread has taken, please report it to the moderating team. I'll gladly reopen it if the other moderators and editor think it's worthy.

Until then, this thread is closed.