Margaret M. Alkek-Williams Center For Dance At 601 Preston St.

KinkaidAlum

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!!1 :D

Swamplot featured renderings of the building — designed by the Houston office of Gensler — last year. The building will have 6 levels and contain 115,000 sq. ft. of space. A single below-grade level will contain 30,000 sq. ft. of parking. Inside: 9 ballet practice studios, production and wardrobe space, administrative offices, and a dormitory for dancers.
Edited by UpuPUp!

Terrific! It's also pretty awesome that they are launching this when the economy is shaky.

This a great addition to downtown and another visible symbol of the City's commitment to the arts. It is also a huge coup for one of the City's leading performing arts entities. A facility like this could be a great attraction for artistic talent. Bravi, HB!

Was inside today on a rare visit and noticed that they've removed most of the suspended ceiling panels:

IMG_0180.jpg

The backhoes and bulldozers are also working overdrive at the old gas station site, as are the jackhammers on the parking lot and sidewalk immediately next door. It is definitely a construction zone.

Pardon my ignorance on this;

While I understand that they need more office/storage space like any major company does, does this mean they are going to renovate/upgrade/expand the backstage area?

Nice article in today's Chronicle.

The coolest thing I saw aside from the building itself was the fact that they sold the other half of the block to Novare out of Atlanta. They're behind some great residential towers, including the Avenue in Charlotte and 360 in Austin.

A Novare building someday in that part of downtown would add a lot to the skyline and would help the residential component of DT.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/6556005.html

www.novaregroup.com

The coolest thing I saw aside from the building itself was the fact that they sold the other half of the block to Novare out of Atlanta. They're behind some great residential towers, including the Avenue in Charlotte and 360 in Austin.

A Novare building someday in that part of downtown would add a lot to the skyline and would help the residential component of DT.

http://www.chron.com...es/6556005.html

www.novaregroup.com

Most of their projects look very similar. I hope they bring something different to Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/6556005.html

www.novaregroup.com

Very cool. (Except the next sentence tells us that Novare has it back on the market, so apparently no plans for developing it at least any time in the short or mid-term future.)

The Ballet project is sounding and looking better and better. A great addition to downtown.

I really like the idea that people can see rehearsals and stuff from the streets through the windows. That will be kind of cool and maybe a sort of tourist attraction.

I do, as well. Downtown is getting more interesting, every day. And nice bldg design.

• 3 weeks later...

saw this last night and idk if there is already a topic or not. but last night the whole block was under construction and i didnt see any "coming soon" signs or renderings for anything. but there is a sign with a company name that i cant remember.. but yeah if anyone knows please do tell!

saw this last night and idk if there is already a topic or not. but last night the whole block was under construction and i didnt see any "coming soon" signs or renderings for anything. but there is a sign with a company name that i cant remember.. but yeah if anyone knows please do tell!

That block is the bayou! Water.

Near there, though, the Houston Ballet is being built, I believe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...