Margaret M. Alkek-Williams Center For Dance At 601 Preston St.

KinkaidAlum

Does anyone know the name and/or any other information on this building? They just started building it in the last few months.

I was at my friends place at the Tennison building and could see cranes and such.

The only thing I know is that it is to be 22 stories and the only reason it is being built at this time is because The Wortham actually bought into it so it would be built.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the name and/or any other information on this building? They just started building it in the last few months.

I was at my friends place at the Tennison building and could see cranes and such.

The only thing I know is that it is to be 22 stories and the only reason it is being built at this time is because The Wortham actually bought into it so it would be built.

I'm 95% sure that's the site for the new Houston Ballet building. It won't be 22 stories or residential.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=17042&st=80

Edited by Highway6

From where did you get this information?

This is the first I have heard (or noticed) the living quarters in it. How many units?

The new Houston Ballet building will not only house the offices and studios of the professional company, it will also house the Ben Stevenson Ballet Acadamy. There will be some living space available for students of the Acadamy.

Can't find the information right now, all the Chronicle articles have been deleted (grr Chronicle). Currently they're using a couple townhouses on Dunlavy between W Gray and Dallas.

The Chron doesn't delete articles. Look in the archives.

Here's the info:

"six stories housing administrative offices, nine studios (they currently have six), a black box theater (a new amenity) and a dorm for 20 students (eight more than they now house in two townhomes). Including the land purchase, it's a $53 million project."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, more recently, there was a fairly small "Ball room" or reception hall there with quite a bit of open parking surrounding it.

Never seen it do any business that I can remember.

I think you've got your threads/sites mixed up. The ball room was on the site of the Embassy Suites. The drive-through bank was on the site of the Ballet building.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...