Margaret M. Alkek-Williams Center For Dance At 601 Preston St.

KinkaidAlum

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some additional examples of the new DT Ballet Building on Swamplot today. I must say, I like the designs much better than the one posted here.

the one posted here was some random building in san antonio built in the 80's, i believe... how that became associated w/ the HB building is beyond me

• Like 1

Two (Apparently) Differing Renderings of Houston Ballet's New Building Downtown:

ballet-glass.jpg

ballet-solid.jpg

(courtesy of Swamplot)

What if, i may be wrong, these are the same building , but are rendered from different views.

Besides it is unlikely that they have two different designs, i mean unless its a contest there should only

be one final design, and even if the architect made 2 designs he wouldnt go public about it.

Seriously when was the last architect that asked our opinion about a project?

But i may be wrong. Also the rendering with the glass part shows a concrete wall, and the

rendering with the concrete(or what ever it is, im not an expert) shows glass. But , my theory

on why the glass isn't portrayed in the same hue is that the 1st rendering is in the sunset..

What if, i may be wrong, these are the same building , but are rendered from different views.

Besides it is unlikely that they have two different designs, i mean unless its a contest there should only

be one final design, and even if the architect made 2 designs he wouldnt go public about it.

But i may be wrong. Also the rendering with the glass part shows a concrete wall, and the

rendering with the concrete(or what ever it is, im not an expert) shows glass. But , my theory

on why the glass isn't portrayed in the same hue is that the 1st rendering is in the sunset..

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure about it either. Swamplot speculates that they are different renderings. Giving it a close look, I think, will reveal that the two aren't consistent.

Edited by uhlaw09

The top photo is taken of the block from Smith between Preston and Prarie... the left side is on Smith St while the right side is Preston St.

The bottom photo is taken from across Smith st at the park with the circular sidewalk... and you're seeing the Smith side of the bldg.

So the left side of the top photo is the same as what you are seeing in the bottom photo...... so yeah.. I agree that it's 2 completely different design schemes.

I think we would be lucky to have either one though... they're both very nice looking.

Edited by Highway6

This building looks great and would bring more people into downtown hopefully. I like the top render best. It reminds me of the Bill Clinton Library in Little Rock except that its glass. I hope this gets built, too bad its not taller, but whatever. I still like it. A city needs differing types of architecture and this is a real nice design that will add a lot to the street level on that side of town.

Very nice. I actually was able to see some preliminary drawings and renderings when I visited the Gensler office a few months back. Sorry, I wasn't able to obtain any "leakable" info. ;)

Assuming that the skybridge is the same in both renderings, then the renderings are inconsistent.

I like the top one; the bottom looks like a federal courthouse or something.

Not really. The top rendering is looking north up Smith, the bottom one east across Smith.

I like the one on the bottom. The top one looks like a rather unimaginative glass box. The second looks almost like it has a brushed metal facade. In climates like Houston's I'm fascinated by the idea of building with as few outwardly facing windows as possible, which puts me at odds with most of current architecture.

Not really. The top rendering is looking north up Smith, the bottom one east across Smith.

I like the one on the bottom. The top one looks like a rather unimaginative glass box. The second looks almost like it has a brushed metal facade. In climates like Houston's I'm fascinated by the idea of building with as few outwardly facing windows as possible, which puts me at odds with most of current architecture.

Yes really. I realize the renderings are from different angles. However, if it is the same skybridge in both renderings, then they must be inconsistent, because the facade on Smith in the first rendering (with the sunlight hitting it) is different than the facade on Smith in the second rendering (facing the viewer).

Edited by H-Town Man

H-Town is right.. You're still seeing the Smith Street side of the building in each photo.. and its obviously not the same facade on that Smith side. This inconsistency would point to 2 different design concepts.

Really.

• 7 months later...

I don't know, but I hope it's not that ugly suburban looking thing in post #1.

The suburban building wasn't even the design. Go to the next page to see the design.

Does anyone know what lot this will be on.....kind of odd that they are breaking ground in this economy (if the are). Maybe they met all of their minimum financial requirements just before the slowdown so that's good news for downtown!

Actually, it looks like they are just excavating half of the block. The line runs parallel to Smith and Louisiana. They are even taking out the sidewalks and curbs. Wait, they may just be creating an access drive.

Hey this rendering is better.

houston_ballet_pirages281108_1.jpg

Designed by Marshall Strabala, Director of Design of Gensler, a global architecture and design firm, the Houston Ballet’s new 6-story, 10,219-square meters (110,000-square foot) facility will house practice facilities and executive offices. According to the Houston Business Journal (Aug. 4, 2008), the building is planned for Houston’s Central Business District, on Smith between Congress and Preston, and kitty-corner from the Wortham Center, where the Houston Ballet holds performances.

Strabala is based at Gensler’s Houston office.

Edited by gto250us
  • Like 1