Cy-Fair ISD Reclaims Recognized Rating

mrfootball

Cy-Fair is one again, the largest Recognized school district in the State.

Cypress-Fairbanks may be winning praise for students' high test scores, but they're getting an "unacceptable" for secret-keeping ability.

District leaders spilled the beans Thursday that Cy-Fair has reclaimed a "recognized" rating, the second-highest label issued by the Texas Education Agency.

Ratings for the rest of the state will be released at 1 p.m. today.

"We couldn't keep good news like this quiet," Cy-Fair spokeswoman Kelli Durham said.

Cy-Fair will likely be the largest school district in Texas with a "recognized" rating. Only Houston and Dallas are bigger and neither is expected to crack that category.

District officials also revealed that 49 of the district's 70 campuses earned "exemplary" or "recognized" ratings, an increase from 36 in 2007.

"Teachers, staff members and parents have worked tirelessly so that our students' success rate increased each year in an environment of rising academic standards and state mandates," said David Anthony, superintendent of the 98,000-student district.

The Texas Education Agency made ratings available to districts Thursday via a secured state Web site, so administrators could review the data and alert the state of any mistakes, officials said.

"They should have waited," TEA spokeswoman DeEtta Culbertson said, warning that rating won't be official until 1 p.m. In past years, last-minute fixes have changed data moments before the release, she said.

"It's highly unlikely, but one year there was a glitch in the calculation and some ratings changed," Culbertson said.

Cy-Fair officials said they're confident in their good news and didn't want to keep families waiting.

"We share news with our public as soon as we receive it," Durham said.

HISD's Terry Abbott declined to offer a sneak peek at his district's rating: "Not till (today) at 1 p.m.!" he said in an e-mail.

He did, however, offer this hint in a press release: "HISD will announce Friday a record number of Houston schools have earned the state's highest academic ratings."

Other highlights, Abbott said, will include the first recognized rating for a comprehensive high school in HISD.

The school feeder pattern in my neighborhood (Longwood) had the following ratings:

Hamilton Elementary - Exemplary

Hamilton Middle - Exemplary

Cy-Fair HS - Recognized

The feeder pattern for Coles Crossing (just the other side of Telge from Longwood):

Sampson Elementary - Exemplary

Spillane Middle - Recognized

Cy-Woods HS - Recognized

Pretty impressive for this little pocket of the district...

The feeder pattern for Coles Crossing (just the other side of Telge from Longwood):

Sampson Elementary - Exemplary

Spillane Middle - Recognized

Cy-Woods HS - Recognized

Pretty impressive for this little pocket of the district...

Agreed, the whole area between 249 and 290 (including the Tomball ISD schools...ie Lakewood Elementary) were rated highly.

Is Goodson Middle no longer zoned to Coles?

Not surprising, considering Cy-Fair is suburban, and Houston and Dallas are urban districts.

...And that Cy-Fair contains few (so far) decaying suburbs.

North Forest ISD, Aldine ISD, Alief ISD, and Pasadena ISD have some suburbs that are decaying.

Agreed, the whole area between 249 and 290 (including the Tomball ISD schools...ie Lakewood Elementary) were rated highly.

Is Goodson Middle no longer zoned to Coles?

Interesting, I couldn't find a map of Spillane on their website, but Goodson's website boundary map did include Cole's Crossing. I have a neighbor who has told me their child attends Spillane, so I guess my neighbor is a liar or an exception...anyway both are recognized.

Hopefully we can get mapped to Spillane eventually, it is much closer than Goodson...

Archived