Sign in to follow this  

Best Mexican Restaurant

Can you translate?

I'm seeing: a turtle, a preacher, sinning cream, music, and large.

don't apply for translator at the UN. a marinated pork sandwich, no sour cream with and large drink. the horchata varies but i'd say it has milk, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.

brains?? :unsure: i don't think barbacoa is suppose to have any brains in it at all.....

Not too much brains, at least...but a little brain never hurt nobody! (Actually my grandpa always told me that the best part of slaughtering a calf when he was growing up was that they'd get "brains and eggs" for breakfast...)

barbacoa2.jpg

brains?? :unsure: i don't think barbacoa is suppose to have any brains in it at all.....

Barbacoa's generally cheek, face, and head meat from cattle. Brains are "sesos". The true breakfast of champions is sesos y lengua (brains and tongue). :P

Laredo Taqueria (Washington @ Snover, or the other locations at Fulton @ Patton and on Cavalcade just west of Fulton) serves really good barbacoa - actually, just about everything they serve is good. I'm particularly fond of the spicy fajitas - they're already plenty spicy, but add a dollop of the incendiary salsa verde and your sinuses will clear very quickly. The tacos are cheap, and they really pack the hungry diners in at lunchtime - there's usually a line at the counter you order and receive your food at that's almost out the door.

This is a little off topic, but the best cheap but delicious food is at Dodo's chicken. It's a columbian restaurant on richmond near the beltway. People come from all over the city to eat the roasted chicken, beans and rice, and arepas. It looks like a little hole in the wall, but TRUST ME it's awesome!!! The family that runs it is so nice, and the name comes from a nickname from one of their children. (Called the father DoDo) I prefer this place to Americas(which is fabulous). You get a wing and breast + 2 or 3 sides and a drink for under 7 bucks. The columbian restaurant next door is pretty good too, but I can't remember the name. I live in Canada now, so I haven't been for a few years. My husband goes back whenever he's in Houston on business. BTW I am a white attractive female and I have gone here by myself, and it's always busy no matter what time of day it is.

This is a little off topic, but the best cheap but delicious food is at Dodo's chicken.
a friend took me there on a recommendation. it was bland.

BTW I am a white attractive female and I have gone here by myself, and it's always busy no matter what time of day it is.

So... you're saying it really is the restaurant, and not you?

There used to be Fandango's. It had really great fajitas and tortillas. Too bad its gone now. :(

Ah, Fandango's, home of the perpetual half-off-fajitas-for-two coupon every week in the newspaper (or maybe it was buy one dinner, get one free - effectively the same thing). I was a poor college student when Fandango's opened, and my girlfriend and I ate quite a few meals there on the strength of that coupon. I've had better fajitas, but you sure couldn't argue with the price.

Ah, Fandango's, home of the perpetual half-off-fajitas-for-two coupon every week in the newspaper (or maybe it was buy one dinner, get one free - effectively the same thing). I was a poor college student when Fandango's opened, and my girlfriend and I ate quite a few meals there on the strength of that coupon. I've had better fajitas, but you sure couldn't argue with the price.

I liked the food and the price was good too.

I’ve been switching from Molina’s in Bellaire and Escalates in Meyerland.  Molina’s carries mole sauce which isn’t offered at your typical Tex-Mex.

On a strawberry margarita kick. Escalates uses strawberry purée

• Like 1

I go to the Escalante's Highland Village OFTEN (probably tooooo often haha)...and actually like Blanco's Taco + Tequila quite a bit (although the queso is not your standard queso as it's more creamy like a cheese soup almost)...but cannot wait for the new Ninfa's to open at BLVD Place! (and Los Tios is opening a block away in the Randall's Plaza on San Felipe...

I will finally have quite a few mexican options walking distance to my condo and work!!!!! yahOOooOoOoo

20 hours ago, gene said:

I go to the Escalante's Highland Village OFTEN (probably tooooo often haha)...and actually like Blanco's Taco + Tequila quite a bit (although the queso is not your standard queso as it's more creamy like a cheese soup almost)...but cannot wait for the new Ninfa's to open at BLVD Place! (and Los Tios is opening a block away in the Randall's Plaza on San Felipe...

I will finally have quite a few mexican options walking distance to my condo and work!!!!! yahOOooOoOoo

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Ninfa's.  Every one I've been to has been sub-par.  I haven't been to the one on Navigation, though.

Is Los Tios going into the space at the end where Ciao Bello was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Ninfa's.  Every one I've been to has been sub-par.  I haven't been to the one on Navigation, though.

Is Los Tios going into the space at the end where Ciao Bello was?

YES! Exactly! Apparently the Adair Family owns the chain now and when the space close to Adair Kitchen opened up they jumped at the chance to put Los Tios there!