Best Mexican Restaurant

I don't want to found like some food snob but I have yet to find the Mexican restaurant that I am looking for. Maybe it's Cal-Mex or Organi-Mex but I like brown rice and sauteed veggies instead the usual. Los Ang. used to have lots of places like that.. any ideas?

I've done Chipotle and Mission burritos and they are just so-so.

About your mystery rice, I believe you are talking about Arroz Integral.

Hmm. I've never heard of that. Do you know of any restaurants that serve that?

It's just the name for almost any rice dish made where brown rice is prominent. In spanish brown rice is called arroz integral, not arroz cafe. It's not very popular in traditional Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants. It's more popular in restaurants that serve New Spanish, Noveau Latino, Southwestern, New Brazilian, Thai, Indonesian, "Health", or Indian cuisine.

Last year I was taken to lunch at a restaurant near Kirby & 59. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name. I ordered some enchiladas and when my food arrived.. there was arroz integral and frijoles negras. I wanted traditional, but was too hungry to say anything. :D

my mom's house. :)

danax you should give the 100% taquito a try.  it's on the southside of 59south inside the loop.  i don't remember if they had a veggie variation, maybe something with avocados.  maybe trophy property knows since he goes there????

is a burrito mexican?  I thought that was an american invention.

First, I'm sure most mexicans in Houston definitely agree with that. The best mexican food in the city is from either their mom, grandma, or an aunt. :D

The deepest history I've ever found for the burrito is that it comes from northern Sonora, but it's shunned by most of Mexico as an american food. So, I guess one would consider it an adopted american-mexican food. The reason it was invented and it's namesake are both obvious.

Burrito offsprings - The chimichanga is from Tucson, and the "mission" burrito, aka "california burrito", is from SF.

Fajitas are from Texas, it became popular after being given as payment to cowhands and vaqueros. Through most of history, the skirt steak was considered a very undesirable cut of meat. In Mexico, they are called Arracheras. They were very tough and not very juicy, so only the poorest families bought the skirt steak. Modern Arrachera is usually made with fajita, not arrrachera.

Carne Asada, Mexico's version of barbecue(Barbacoa is not barbecue it's roasted cow head, and Barbecue refers to american/texas barbecue) and comes from Tamaulipas(north and central). Normal ingredients are the meat, oranges, beer, and onions. It is usually served with corn tortillas and is usually accompanied with beer, guacamole, totopitos, and frijoles a la charra. The dish "Carne Asada(a la Tampique

Guest danax
The birthplace of the Margarita is disputed, most mexican culinary experts doubt it is from Mexico.. because in Mexico, Tequila is never mixed. It's almost "sinful" to mix it with anything, unless it's with Sangrita.  The Frozen Margarita is distinictly Tex-Mex from DFW, no dispute over that.

Thanks for the info about arroz integral. I'll keep my eye out for it. I probably wouldn't have figured out before that it means "whole rice".

As for the margarita, the story I heard is that Rita Hayworth used to go down to Ensenada in the 40s while living in L.A. and the bartender there invented it and named it after her.

I'll tell you what Fajita Flats is good for.... Those long margarita lunches where you just never quite make it back to work. Did that for two years... but it was ok I was with my boss.

That place does get crazy. Watch out for womens birthdays... the waiters do some funky stuff. I think I blushed.  :o

haha, yes, and bachelorette parties are even more fun to witness. Ive been eating the steak there lately. 13.95 for 18oz Ribeye that is better than Saltgrass or Outback (a tad shy of Pappas bros or Ruths Chris).

Guest danax
TELA'S.  I have been there many time.  Great Margs, Awesome Queso and I love the quesadillas.    Give it a try.  I always forget how yummy that place is.

Muchas gracias, Trophy. I will definitely have to check it out now.

Guest KOKON Steel

I've always been partial to Taco Bell. Good, cheap, fast food- well worth it. Simple use of beans tortillas, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Plus they have very good marketing campaigns- who could forget Hakeem vs. Shaq on the double bicycle or that little dog. Classic.

Reminds me of my summer vacations in San Luis Potosi.

KSteel

• 4 months later...

There are too many good Mexican Restaurants in Houston to pick:

100% Taquito for amazing tortas and authentic Mexican food

Guadalajara has really good flautas

Ninfas and Cafe Adobe have great burritos (try them with chile con queso on top)

Jalapenos on Kirby has really good enchiladas verdes

The original Ninfas has some killer margaritas and some great food

For greasy 1950's style Tex-Mex go to Spanish Village

For some of everything (Cuban and Tex-Mex) go to El Meson

There are too many good Mexican Restaurants in Houston to pick:

100% Taquito for amazing tortas and authentic Mexican food

Guadalajara has really good flautas

Ninfas and Cafe Adobe have great burritos (try them with chile con queso on top)

Jalapenos on Kirby has really good enchiladas verdes

The original Ninfas has some killer margaritas and some great food

For greasy 1950's style Tex-Mex go to Spanish Village

For some of everything (Cuban and Tex-Mex) go to El Meson

I'm glad to see someone start this back up. i will have to disagree with your Cafe Adobe. That is one step up from Taco Bell. Jalapenos is ok texmex but nothing i would recommend.

your 100% taquito, original ninfa's and spanish village are good!!

I'm glad to see someone start this back up.  i will have to disagree with your Cafe Adobe.  That is one step up from Taco Bell.  Jalapenos is ok texmex but nothing i would recommend. 

your 100% taquito, original ninfa's and spanish village are good!!

I like Cafe Adobe.

I also think Pappasito's and Lupe Tortilla's have kickin Fajitas.

I should not have read this post right before lunch. I now need some Taco's.

My personal favorites:

Fajitas: Ninfas on Navigation, Taqueria Los Mexicanos (truck) on Harrisburg

Enchiladas typo Mexicana: Aquascalientes on Edgebrook

Breakfast: Taqueria Alacran on Harrisburg

Barbacoa: Taqueria Taconmadre on Edgebrook

Micheladas: Mariachis on NASA Rd. 1

Shrimp Cocktail: Cancun

Great Tex Mex:

1. Cyclone Anayas!!!

2. Lupe Tortillas - Fajitas!! Salsa is different, but good!

3. Original Ninfas

4. Cafe Adobe

5. Tin Star is really good and really fresh!! Highly reccommend this place!

6. Escalantes - pretty good

Berryhill - not a huge fan of this chain.

Chillis sucks!

Chipotle - sick of it. I prefer Freebirds

Molina's on HWY. 6 is good. I also like Pappasitos, Los Tios and Ninfas. I do agree that Texas has the best Mexican food in the country. I do have a funny story though, while I was in the tiny northeast Tennessee town of Rogersville I found out that they have a Mexican resturant and I tried it and it was actually pretty good.