Standing Room Only - SRO's Sports Bar

pookrat

I'm surprised there hasn't been a topic on this yet. It has been closed for a few weeks now. That place had been around forever. I have alot of friends that were directly affected by the closure and there are a ton of rumors around, some I tend to believe more than others knowing Al from hanging there.

That space was BIG! It looks like they are not going to be re-opening either. The rumor I believe the most is that of a lease dispute. The owner wanted to renogiate the lease to downsize the bar but the owner refused. The "Poker Area" and the Upstairs are really large and I would assume that was hard to keep air conditioned. It has been mentiond that he just wanted to get rid of those two areas and focus on the bar. Now that that is not an option, what do you guys see going in it's place?

What's yer thoughts?

According to B4-U-Eat, the 1960 location has been closed since early June. The other location at Northwest Mall seems to still be open (I wasn't even aware there was one over there...).

SRO's website lists both locations, with simply "currently closed" under the 1960/Champions location. Someone could call and ask them what's up, but I frankly don't care enough to do so.

According to B4-U-Eat, the 1960 location has been closed since early June. The other location at Northwest Mall seems to still be open (I wasn't even aware there was one over there...).

SRO's website lists both locations, with simply "currently closed" under the 1960/Champions location. Someone could call and ask them what's up, but I frankly don't care enough to do so.

I loved SRO's in Champions. I hope they open up again. Whether its at the same location or in a new place.

Someone could call and ask them what's up, but I frankly don't care enough to do so.

Can you say "Burn"~! :lol:

or is it "You got served?" I am not up to speed with this hip talk.

But to answer pookrat's question, the topic did not exist likely because no one cared about it, unlike Bennigan's. . . wait something is wrong here. :unsure::P

I was never a big fan of the SRO on 1960. I always thought it was kind of dumpy. However, I love the SRO at the Northwest Mall. It's much, much larger than any of the previous SRO's and has a much more "open" setup. Go there on a Saturday afternoon during college football season and you will feel like you are at a stadium tailgate. The place is absolutely electric with rabid fans. A bunch of local alumni groups have there game watching parties there. You would never know that there were so many fans of some of these schools in Houston.....notably Ohio St., Florida, Nebraska, Florida St.

• 4 weeks later...
I was never a big fan of the SRO on 1960. I always thought it was kind of dumpy. However, I love the SRO at the Northwest Mall. It's much, much larger than any of the previous SRO's and has a much more "open" setup. Go there on a Saturday afternoon during college football season and you will feel like you are at a stadium tailgate. The place is absolutely electric with rabid fans. A bunch of local alumni groups have there game watching parties there. You would never know that there were so many fans of some of these schools in Houston.....notably Ohio St., Florida, Nebraska, Florida St.

How do you call the 1960 place "dumpy" and not the 290 locale? I felt like I needed a shower after visiting it. I agree that 1960 was a dive..but..so is the NW Mall place.

How do you call the 1960 place "dumpy" and not the 290 locale? I felt like I needed a shower after visiting it. I agree that 1960 was a dive..but..so is the NW Mall place.

Agree with the above comments.

Granted, SRO Champions was THE place throughought the 1990's, one of the best Sports bars in town. I haven't been in a couple years so I can't say whether it was kept up.

Archived