Sign in to follow this  
futuredeveloper85

Woodway Square Apartments

In one of my master's classes I have having to do a report on fire and building codes. My prof told me to look into the Woodway Square Apartments. From what I have been told it was a massive apartment complex that burned in 1979. Does anyone have any information about them? Like former residents, how they were set up or anything. I guess they all have been torn down becasue I went over there and everything looks pretty new...

there were multiple buildings all roofed with wood shingles which caused the fire to spread rapidly. this fire prompted the city to update the building code to eliminate wood shingles. there is a document put out by the HFD describing this event and problems the HFD had fighting the fire. I believe some hydrant issues also compounded the problem.

from HFRRF

Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

The fire was massive. I lived on Valley Forge @ Clearbrook then. We were about 1 block away but on the other side of the drainage ditch. The ditch back then was more natural than it is now. I was fairly young at the time, but do remember watching the smoke and flames from the ditch area. I also remember the land sat vacant for a few years before the "nicer" units were built back there.

I worked for a Dutch pipe supply company at the time, and someone from the main office sent us a newspaper clipping from a Holland paper about the fire complete with pictures.

I use to live there when the fire happened my dad was a maintenance man for the complex. I was 13yrs old. I still have pictures of the fire. It looked like a bombing.  So many people lost everything. My dad passed away in February of 1980 we were still living there. It was a sad sad day for all of us.

• Like 1