Five Allen Center: Office Tower At 400 Dallas St.

roadrunner

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see how. Looks to me like it will fill in the gap perfectly....unless you find obscuring the Meridian to be destroying the skyline.

Houston%20skyline3.jpg

It looks to me like it will be farther to the right. That new parking garage is in front of the Merdien. There's a section (triangle) shaped, where the 45N on ramp from Allen Pkwy is. It may cover the 8-sided, brown, Allen 3 or it may be between Enron and Allen 3 from a western perspective.

It looks to me like it will be farther to the right. That new parking garage is in front of the Merdien. There's a section (triangle) shaped, where the 45N on ramp from Allen Pkwy is. It may cover the 8-sided, brown, Allen 3 or it may be between Enron and Allen 3 from a western perspective.

I did this yesterday. I agree it may cover 3 Allen Center but I don't see how it would be between Enron and 3 Allen Center. It would be great if someone could add the new rendering to this photo.

Houstonin2013-1.jpg

I think you have it exactly right.

Off topic, but I think that from this vantage point Main Place might end up being partially visible in the gap between One Shell and Wells Fargo and behind where the Bank One Center is visible. Especially if you moved a little to the right from where this picture was taken. Could be cool.

I like this tower and all but I feel its in a terrible location. I wish something like this would go in near Minute Maid Park or something and extend the skyline that a ways. In this location, it will just be lost and plus it doesnt add much to the street since its right by a huge highway. Sure it will add to the skyline but our skyline from that vantage point is pretty sweet already. I just wish it were going in someplace, like maybe even along one of those terrible looking parking lots near MainPlace. Still, a new tall tower is better than no new tall tower.

I like this tower and all but I feel its in a terrible location. I wish something like this would go in near Minute Maid Park or something and extend the skyline that a ways. In this location, it will just be lost and plus it doesnt add much to the street since its right by a huge highway. Sure it will add to the skyline but our skyline from that vantage point is pretty sweet already. I just wish it were going in someplace, like maybe even along one of those terrible looking parking lots near MainPlace. Still, a new tall tower is better than no new tall tower.

Have to agree with that.

i agree to some extent, i mean yes, it would do good near Minute Maid Park, in the sense to extend it,

but they've already got several projects on that.

What do you think OPP,Disco Tower, & Embassy Suites are doing? They're EXTENDING the skyline.

Also, it's in a great location, there haven't been any significant changes to our skyline district recently.

Welcome to the 21st century, the world is modernizing and changing. Houston is modernizing and changing, and this is exactly what it needs, in that sense. I for one am glad to see a change in that part of downtown. Do you really want to drive to Houston and see the same thing every year. I for one am glad that this is happening.

Can you imagine seeing downtown from this view, not to mention that its the most popular view, the ones that the world sees more often, and having it remain the same. But hey, at least our skyline got longer!

( I think not)

Just my opinion, and intended with no hard feelings.

So yes, its in a great location.

i agree to some extent, i mean yes, it would do good near Minute Maid Park, in the sense to extend it,

but they've already got several projects on that.

What do you think OPP,Disco Tower, & Embassy Suites are doing? They're EXTENDING the skyline.

Also, it's in a great location, there haven't been any significant changes to our skyline district recently.

Welcome to the 21st century, the world is modernizing and changing. Houston is modernizing and changing, and this is exactly what it needs, in that sense. I for one am glad to see a change in that part of downtown. Do you really want to drive to Houston and see the same thing every year. I for one am glad that this is happening.

Can you imagine seeing downtown from this view, not to mention that its the most popular view, the ones that the world sees more often, and having it remain the same. But hey, at least our skyline got longer!

( I think not)

Just my opinion, and intended with no hard feelings.

So yes, its in a great location.

No argument with any of that. It would indeed be nice to see a change in the western skyline. It's always nice to see new towers downtown, wherever they are. It was just an expression of a preference that a new tower would do more to improve downtown if it was built on one of the empty blocks that create such holes in downtown's connectivity. The empty block next to Market Square, for example, the nearly empty block on Main (where Shamrock Tower was supposed to go), any of a number of empty blocks in the northeast sector of downtown...

My thinking is that development to the east and southeast side of downtown will slowly crawl that way. Most the ameneties like restaurants etc are on the western side. It would not make much sense to build on the far east or southeast side of town in my opinion. If there are reasons, there aren't many. I wonder if the east end LRT lines will help draw more buildings out that way though?

My thinking is that development to the east and southeast side of downtown will slowly crawl that way. Most the ameneties like restaurants etc are on the western side. It would not make much sense to build on the far east or southeast side of town in my opinion. If there are reasons, there aren't many. I wonder if the east end LRT lines will help draw more buildings out that way though?

Seems like the East End is well spoken for though. It's one of the busiest CBD construction areas in the whole United States right now, with no signs of slowing down. The Dynamo stadium on the other side of 59 will spur more retail and restaurant development, and we're still pretty optimistic for at least on more large hotel and convention space in that area. I'm just as excited as the next guy for Houston to get "more big stuff", but really what need to do is continue to improve the streetscapes and activity within our CBD. I can't wait until that Soccer stadium is built... then we will have all of our professional sports venues within 6 miles of each other!! Not too many metros around the US can even claim that!!

Why would Allen Center put one of their buildings clear across town?

Why would Allen Center put one of their buildings clear across town?

If the building is to retain the same name then to extend its borders.

If not then to create a new XYZ Center. Or Centre. Whichever you prefer.

I really wish they'd bring this one back.

173478.jpg

Why?

Who would want to be inundated by yet another tall, sleak and beautiful skyscraper that would be iconic in almost any skyline?

;)

All jokes aside, I'm not sure that I'd want BoTSW Tower to be built in the same location. I'm not sure you could enjoy the full impact of it as you approach downtown in that location. Then again, maybe I'm wrong about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Five Allen Center will overshadow 3 Allen Center

FiveAllenCenter-2.jpg

1. Currently under construction,(?) Five Allen Center’s distinctive case, we’re driven by the same ideas: beauty, sustainability and strength. design will provide expansive city and bayou views.

http://www.slideshar...estate-brochure (pg. 9)

http://www.slideshar...re#text-version (text version)

I don't much like the design. Maybe it's the angle, but it seems kind of..chunky.

Dont worry. First of all, the building wont be that chunky looking at all because the plot of land they plan to build this on isnt even nearly that large. Second, although it will be tall, it wont be THAT tall and the plot of land is actually lower than most of the other blocks in downtown unless they plan on raising it. Third, the angle also is having a major impact because it is showing you both sides of the tower which makes the building seem quite large.

Archived