Five Allen Center: Office Tower At 400 Dallas St.

roadrunner

i've been wondering about this one too. i doubt it will get off the ground.

I hope it does.:(

I did research on swamplot and the Brookfield properites website and theres nothing new.

They're probaly still waiting until 50% of it is leased.

Im suprised they have'nt cancelled it yet.:)

Btw has Five Allen Center ever gotten an approval?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anything new on this?

Please don't tell me its......Dead :(

Ok then... the groundbreaking ceremony will be this Wednesday at 10AM. Mayor white will be there to hail this as "...one of the most important job-creating corporate office buildings in this time of economic crisis..."

I hope it does.:(

I did research on swamplot and the Brookfield properites website and theres nothing new.

They're probaly still waiting until 50% of it is leased.

Im suprised they have'nt cancelled it yet.:)

Btw has Five Allen Center ever gotten an approval?

Projects are rarely "canceled" in any formal way. Furthermore, even if this particular design for 5 Allen Center is not built, the "gateway project" will not be "canceled". It's been on the books for a long time and will stay on the books as a planned project.

Ok then... the groundbreaking ceremony will be this Wednesday at 10AM. Mayor white will be there to hail this as "...one of the most important job-creating corporate office buildings in this time of economic crisis..."

^^^^^^^^

Swamplot would most likely post something about this on their site.

I even think the Local news stations would have did reports on this if it was true. B)

As far as the words you said LTAWACS..

...Sarcasm. ;)

Projects are rarely "canceled" in any formal way. Furthermore, even if this particular design for 5 Allen Center is not built, the "gateway project" will not be "canceled". It's been on the books for a long time and will stay on the books as a planned project.

Thanks Houston19514.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Five Allen Center.

Yes, and furthermore, the mayor says that in the spirit of the times this project will go up in HALF the time the Empire State Building did! :P

m. B)

If I'm not mistaken, another factor in the feasibility of this tower was supposedly based on comittment from Devon Energy which is already in a nearby tower. Considering there was said to be some interest before and even after the OKC project was announced, that might be something worth checking back on.

Yes, and furthermore, the mayor says that in the spirit of the times this project will go up in HALF the time the Empire State Building did! :P

m. B)

Ha....The Empire State Building actually broke ground in in the height of the Great Depression. When it was completed, it opened its doors to 40% occupancy and it was quickly dubbed "The Empty State Building". I think we can all agree that it rebounded since then.

Looking at those photoshop images/views on the first page this building is in a great location to make a 'splash' so lets hope that whatever building ends up on the site really defines that edge of downtown .

If I'm not mistaken, another factor in the feasibility of this tower was supposedly based on comittment from Devon Energy which is already in a nearby tower. Considering there was said to be some interest before and even after the OKC project was announced, that might be something worth checking back on.

pretty much

Ha....The Empire State Building actually broke ground in in the height of the Great Depression. When it was completed, it opened its doors to 40% occupancy and it was quickly dubbed "The Empty State Building". I think we can all agree that it rebounded since then.

Looking at those photoshop images/views on the first page this building is in a great location to make a 'splash' so lets hope that whatever building ends up on the site really defines that edge of downtown .

Yup, that was my point. :D

m. B)

Was this already confirmed or something? I didn't see one througout the thread. I was thinking that everyone would be excited about confirmation from their own website.

That website description has been there for a long time... it doesn't necessarily imply a confirmed development. I think it is clear by now that no major projects that did not already have financing in place will be getting off the ground for several years. Especially in Houston with oil at $35/barrel.

That website description has been there for a long time... it doesn't necessarily imply a confirmed development. I think it is clear by now that no major projects that did not already have financing in place will be getting off the ground for several years. Especially in Houston with oil at $35/barrel.

Oh, I knew the description was there, but not that part, because everyone was still speculating as to how tall it would be. But I could be wrong for sure. With my memory, probably am.

Well, the plot of land they're wanting to build that on can't possibly fit a tower that wide. Just look how massive it looks compared to the other towers. I seriously challenge that photo. ^_^

That plot is actually quite large, and with the NE-SW orientation of the curve and the positioning of the building closer to the camera relative to Heritage and Wells Fargo, I think it would be pretty accurate for a 50-story tower.

Was this already confirmed or something? I didn't see one througout the thread. I was thinking that everyone would be excited about confirmation from their own website.

Brookfield updated the site within the past few months.

Originally, that small stub was entitled "Gateway Tract/Site" or something to that effect and only mentioned some general points about the location. A Business Journal article from last year briefly mentioned the more specific data now on the site and apparently it's been updated to show those few nuggets provided.

The original "Gateway" thread can be found here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=11441

That plot is actually quite large, and with the NE-SW orientation of the curve and the positioning of the building closer to the camera relative to Heritage and Wells Fargo, I think it would be pretty accurate for a 50-story tower.

that is an accurate rendering

Looks like a 8oo-85oft range. Also it has a design on the top and it looks more like a trapeziod shape building intead of a square

Actually, it looks shorter than Heritage Plaza despite the angle of the photo.

50 floors without any type of decorative/spired top would put the tower in the range of 650-750 feet. If it makes it off the ground, it will really stand out from every viewpoint except from the eastern perspective.

Actually, it looks shorter than Heritage Plaza despite the angle of the photo.

50 floors without any type of decorative/spired top would put the tower in the range of 650-750 feet. If it makes it off the ground, it will really stand out from every viewpoint except from the eastern perspective.

Hmm I see you might be right.

but are there any buildings in the U.S that are 5o floors and above 75oft? If so 5 Allen Center has a possibility of being above 75oft.

Ok somethings up for sure idk whats going on..but its good! :D

From Swamplot..

5-allen-center-sculpture.jpg

A major downturn in the economy tends to make it a bit easier to happen upon images of developments that have been planned in secret — though finding them can be somewhat less exciting than unearthing plans that are actually likely to happen. A tipster reports HAIF user lockmat’s discovery of two images of Brookfield Properties’ planned Five Allen Center office tower Downtown. We saw one hazy picture of this building back in June. But is there any more to it now than just a few pretty pictures?

Five Allen Center is marked “pre-development” on the Brookfield website: a 50-story, 1.2-million-sq.-ft. office tower planned for a 2.5-acre site at the northwest corner of Downtown — at the northeast corner of Houston Ave. and West Dallas. That’s a rather prominent position.

Archived