Five Allen Center: Office Tower At 400 Dallas St.

roadrunner

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are saying they are planning on adding 3 towers or that they just have room for 3 more towers.

If you check out this Brookfield link it list the three possible sites for 3 highrises.

http://brookfieldofficeproperties.com/content/portfolio/development-8943.html

They are:

Five Allen Center

Allen Center Clay Street

1500 Smith Street

They all say Pre-development phase.

If you check out this Brookfield link it list the three possible sites for 3 highrises.

They are:

Five Allen Center

Allen Center Clay Street

1500 Smith Street

Wow great news, although I hope they come out with a captivating design for these.

They are:

Five Allen Center

Allen Center Clay Street

1500 Smith Street

Not to be too much of a downer, but I'm pretty certain those locations been in "pre-development" for an extended period of time. Maybe 5+ years, if not more... Definitely remember rumblings about 1500 Smith since before the last recession, and I'm pretty certain there was a thread around here at one point where we were all trying to pin down where they'd have the room to build.

Not to be too much of a downer, but I'm pretty certain those locations been in "pre-development" for an extended period of time. Maybe 5+ years, if not more... Definitely remember rumblings about 1500 Smith since before the last recession, and I'm pretty certain there was a thread around here at one point where we were all trying to pin down where they'd have the room to build.

You are absolutely correct.  I would not expect any of the Allen Center proposals to come to fruition any time soon.

• 2 months later...
I know I might get bashed for this, but here goes... I'm kind of glad if they scaled this one back a bit. For it's height at that location it will throw the whole balance of the western skyline off. While I like the glass facade, I would prefer if anything got built Downtown west of Louisiana it wouldn't dwarf the skyscrapers in front of it. Some shorter buildings will help with the density factor, but anything taller will throw it all off - unless it was significantly taller and became a "center piece".

I too agree about the reduction. It would have been like a glaring pimple on the end of a nose if this building had remained the same height. The other Allen building (tall brown one) would be totally removed from the western view of the skyline. The building, even at 35 stories, just doesn't 'fit' in that location.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/three-months-four-developments/

Cassidy Turley was just named the leasing agent for the Allen Center, the first-time owner Brookfield has gone third-party in Houston (it's still leasing the rest of its 8M SF CBD portfolio). It's a 3.1M SF assignment across three buildings. Although Brookfield hasn't released details yet, we know a redevelopment of the iconic complex is in the works, and the firm has discussed breaking ground on a fourth Class-A tower at some point.

If they ever build it, there is no way it'll be the 40-50 story tower we've seen in renderings.  I have to believe with all the new & refurbished SF coming online in the next 3-4 years downtown, this will ultimately be shelved again . . .  unless . . .  they somehow incorporate a 4-5 star hotel into the mix . . .  pure conjecture on my part . . .

If they ever build it, there is no way it'll be the 40-50 story tower we've seen in renderings.  I have to believe with all the new & refurbished SF coming online in the next 3-4 years downtown, this will ultimately be shelved again . . .  unless . . .  they somehow incorporate a 4-5 star hotel into the mix . . .  pure conjecture on my part . . .

Nothing has changed... Five Allen Center is on the shelf until they sign an anchor tenant.  If/when they sign an anchor tenant (or more than 1), they will then determine the size/height of the building.  If they sign 1 million square foot anchor tenant, you can bet they will build a 40-50 story tower.  If they don't sign an anchor tenant, they will build nothing.

Maybe I can shed some light on this and we may want to merge this thread I created in another part of the forum: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29020-new-facade-for-one-allen-center/

^ New facade for One Allen Center.

Brookfield is, in fact, going to redevelop One Allen Center with the same organization that redeveloped the JW Marriott in downtown. I haven't posted it in other thread yet but the latest I've heard is for a sleek all-glass design for One Allen Center. Now, I have not heard any word about Two Allen Center or any of the other complex because my client has only been assigned to work on One Allen Center; however, that doesn't mean the rest of the complex isn't going to be upgraded as well.

I've also heard targets of late 2014 but it's still way too early for an exact time table.

One Allen Center has the highest vacancy rate out of all their buildings(and the highest of any Class A building in the CBD) which might explain why it is getting a complete remodel. The other Allen buildings have some pretty high vacancy rates too so they are probably getting at least some interior improvements.

I'm in Two Allen.  The buildings are actually fairly efficient office space and they are having some success renting to multi-tenant floors.  The problem is they lost (Hess, Devon, Kinder Morgan) all in the span of a few years.  That's pretty devastating.  The leasing claimed that One Allen is the only building getting a redo.  I'm sure it's possible, but I'm looking at fairly large stone on the exterior of the building right now, and a glass facade seems really tricky and expensive.

I'm in Two Allen.  The buildings are actually fairly efficient office space and they are having some success renting to multi-tenant floors.  The problem is they lost (Hess, Devon, Kinder Morgan) all in the span of a few years.  That's pretty devastating.  The leasing claimed that One Allen is the only building getting a redo.  I'm sure it's possible, but I'm looking at fairly large stone on the exterior of the building right now, and a glass facade seems really tricky and expensive.

Even though it may be expensive, from what I've heard, Brookfield sees the competition that is coming from several other planned renovations and even the newer proposed towers, and they also see that they need to make changes now or face loosing even more tenants in the future. They see it as an investment to redo the interior and exterior of One Allen Center. 

Now I can't say what my sales profession entails on a public forum, but like I said, my client is the actual supervisor for this project. As soon as I get any renderings, I'll post them here but so far it is way too early for any of that. Brookfield is simply in the consultation phase on how to redesign One Allen Center. 

I like 5 AC honestly, especially in its current state. We already know Brookfield is willing to test patience to get the tenants needed to get this thing off the ground. So by that logic, I thinks it's a safe bet that 609 Main, Chevron, Capital, Hilcorp, and maybe International towers can make their move first. The 5 AC is perfect at 35-40 floors, it's a large sized building adding more infill/structural density to that part of Downtown.

In many ways, Houston, Dallas, and Miami are the US versions of Toronto on the rapid infill and skyscrapers.

Archived