So Long, Bennigan's

recipes online?? I want to see one for that sandwhich that was fried ass on a plate with a pickle spear--the one that's ham and cheese, on I think either french toast or pancakes, deep fried and dusted with sugar?

I've eaten a lot of not-so-good food, but the one time in 10 years I've been to a Bennigans, someone at my table ordered that and I swear I had to go outside to smoke until they ate it all. I couldn't even sit at the same table as that sandwhich.

recipes online?? I want to see one for that sandwhich that was fried ass on a plate with a pickle spear--the one that's ham and cheese, on I think either french toast or pancakes, deep fried and dusted with sugar?

I've eaten a lot of not-so-good food, but the one time in 10 years I've been to a Bennigans, someone at my table ordered that and I swear I had to go outside to smoke until they ate it all. I couldn't even sit at the same table as that sandwhich.

That's the Monte Cristo that some others were pining for. :lol:

I can't complain too much about Bennigans. That was my first waiter job in law school, and they taught me how to tend bar, as well, a talent I turned into a law degree. Though I have to admit that I haven't been in one in at least 8 years, and the only sandwiches I liked were the French Dip and the Rueben.

Oh, and here's the recipe, crunch.

Fried Ass On A Plate w/pickle spear

Edited by RedScare

Huh? :o

They closed 11. In a metro area that spans just over 10,000 square miles! That's the equivalent of one restaurant per area the size of Dallas County! :blink:

The Bennigans were concentrated in Harris County, with one in Montgomery County. From: http://www.bennigans.com/locations_domestic.php?state=TX

HARRIS COUNTY

In Houston:

*Inside 610

** 3963 Kirby Drive

** 2700 South Loop West

*Inside Beltway, outside 610

** 5015 Westheimer Road

** 12008 East Freeway

** 11940 Dickinson Road

** 222 North Belt Drive East

*Outside the Beltway

** 1330 West Bay Area Blvd

In Humble:

* 140 Fm 1960 E Bypass

In unincorporated Harris County:

* 20210 Katy Freeway

* 211 FM 1960 West

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

* Conroe

** 1301 West Davis Street

Blasphemy!! How can you put down a ham and cheese sandwich that is battered, deep fried, sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, and served with jam! It's as American as high fructose corn syrup!

Edited by 20thStDad

I haven't been to a Bennigan's for a long, long time. I remember when the one at Gulfgate opened. It seemed exotic and fun at the time. Then TGIFriday's and Chili's showed up, and they all became places my mom liked to go drink with her teacher friends. It's hard to think of a place as exotic or fun and simultaneously hold the image of a gaggle of drunken elementary teachers laughing at all the kooky items stapled to the walls. I dreamed of a truck filled with kooky items and staples, a long high pressure air duct snaking out of it, blasting new restaurants with charm and humor. Thunk! A dented french horn! Thunk! A moose head wearing a "funny" slogan baseball cap!

I was told by an employee that the only franchise in Houston is the one at 1960 and Steubner-Airline... Said it would be closed for a day or two then re-open once everything is hashed out. They could be full of it however...

Yeah...full of lame food! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
on da news today...some bennigan's and steak and ale's will be reopening.

So regarding the website then, since the national brand is going, they would have to come up with something like www.benniganshouston.com or something I bet.

Edited by Pumapayam