So Long, Bennigan's

The one at the Park downtown used to have a deal where if you didn't get your meal in a certain number of minutes it was free.

Yeah they did that at lunch at the one on Kirby/59. I think they even put some kind of stopwatch at the table right after we ordered and told us that, and I told them to take it away because I really don't care. I have been to a couple Bennigans here maybe 5 total times, and every time the place was pretty empty, depressing. But I do like the parking lot like Puma said, nice trees and pavers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My company sells (better yet, SOLD) to them and we were notified last night that their payment service for all of the Houston locations has been cancelled. We had trucks today with orders on them because the warehouse didn't get the memo until late this morning. Needless to say, we had to frantically track them down and make sure they didn't leave any deliveries at the restaurants!

Overall, Bennigan's was lame... but will still be missed. :(

I wonder what will happen to the franchised restaurants in the Middle East. We eat at one here in Doha about once a week. It's actually a decent place to eat, with good service and food that's fairly tasty. In another surprise, the Applebees here is also much better than any location in the US. I won't eat at an Applebees in Houston, but the Doha location isn't bad.

Oh Monte Cristo, I hardly knew yee....

j/k

I have not ate at a Bennegins in 20 years. Obviously I am not the only one.

I don't like the exterior, so I never go in. Well, almost never. I had to meet with someone in March and she arranged it in the one on Kirby/59. Didn't like the wings I ordered. The beer's good though, but that credit goes to AB in St Louis.

Too bad for the employees. Not a good time to lose your job, especially if you don't see it coming.

Hopefully someone will be able to take that location (Kirby & 59) and make something nice out of it. However, that little area is awfully saturated with restaurants.

...then again, I guess you could say that about all of Houston. :lol:

If you can't compete with Chili's and Applebee's, you deserve to close your doors. And that's what happened. Like many folks, I'd not been to a Bennigan's in years, and had no plans to do so again. I month or so ago I passed one, and wondered how they stayed in business. I guess I got my answer.

They are the typical $10 place, but it was in the same company as the rest of the casual restaurants.

Just sad that we will have all these vacant buildings.

Last thing Houston needed was more of them.

That's the truth! This place is starting to look like a ghost town. I may be exaggerating a little, but not much....

I don't like the exterior, so I never go in. Well, almost never. I had to meet with someone in March and she arranged it in the one on Kirby/59. Didn't like the wings I ordered. The beer's good though, but that credit goes to AB in St Louis.

Too bad for the employees. Not a good time to lose your job, especially if you don't see it coming.

Yeah, AB that was sold to some European beverage conglomerate recently... :angry:

I hate globalism.

Hopefully someone will be able to take that location (Kirby & 59) and make something nice out of it. However, that little area is awfully saturated with restaurants.

...then again, I guess you could say that about all of Houston. :lol:

I think that's a jinxed intersection. Restaurants have always seemed to do poorly there on that corner. And if I remember correctly, there was an infamous shooting there at that Bennigan's location!

Yeah they did that at lunch at the one on Kirby/59. I think they even put some kind of stopwatch at the table right after we ordered and told us that, and I told them to take it away because I really don't care. I have been to a couple Bennigans here maybe 5 total times, and every time the place was pretty empty, depressing. But I do like the parking lot like Puma said, nice trees and pavers.

Yep thats what I meant was that specific local (Kirky/59) was very professional and had a nice feel to it. The grounds were brand new and had a new look and many of those beautiful 1940-50's homes directly behind the Taco Cabana were all still there in a row. There is only one left? Blah. :angry:

This was when Bennigan's was one of the newest modern type of trendy places to lounge around and sip a few. There is just too much competition in this city now.

What's this about their parking lots? The one at I45 @ 1960 is just as barren as the other miles of parking lots in this city. Certainly nothing to marvel at.

Thats the one we were at Friday night. Very funky parking angle that makes the whole place seem well.. like its not there.

All the crowd is across the street drinking and watching the T & A at Hooters.

This Bennigans only played rap on the music box and had stale brew. Crater Houston? :)

The one on Kirby was paved with bricks and had a fair amount of trees:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...784138607007237

I guess the exoburb (or whatever my area is called) don't deserve trees. Just miles of hot a** concrete.

Yep thats what I meant was that specific local (Kirky/59) was very professional and had a nice feel to it. The grounds were brand new and had a new look and many of those beautiful 1940-50's homes directly behind the Taco Cabana were all still there in a row. There is only one left? Blah. :angry:

This was when Bennigan's was one of the newest modern type of trendy places to lounge around and sip a few. There is just too much competition in this city now.

Thats the one we were at Friday night. Very funky parking angle that makes the whole place seem well.. like its not there.

All the crowd is across the street drinking and watching the T & A at Hooters.

This Bennigans only played rap on the music box and had stale brew. Crater Houston? :)

It is a very funky angle. Actually that whole little strip is odd. It feels very stop and start and kinda 80s.

That's the truth! This place is starting to look like a ghost town. I may be exaggerating a little, but not much....

Huh? :o

They closed 11. In a metro area that spans just over 10,000 square miles! That's the equivalent of one restaurant per area the size of Dallas County! :blink:

Bennigan's was okay, but I'm going to miss Steak and Ale. I went just this past weekend and it was tasty... wish I went more often.

Funny you mention that; my wife and I have been talking about going to Steak and Ale for months. Specifically the Steak and Ale at Almeda Mall, that I've driven by at least tens of thousands of times in my life without ever stepping foot inside.

Neither of us had ever been into a Steak and Ale, but there's something attractive and secretive about them. We wondered what goes on behind those stained glass doors...

Unfortunately we were too late...unless someone knows of a Steak and Ale that's still in bidness!

Unfortunately we were too late...unless someone knows of a Steak and Ale that's still in bidness!

There are none; all the Steak and Ales closed because they were all corporate. Bennigan's was half corporate, half franchised, and to my knowledge there are no franchises in Houston and only two franchises in DFW.

Their recipes are online, though. Do a Google search and you will find several recipes for the two chains' signature items.

recipes online?? I want to see one for that sandwhich that was fried ass on a plate with a pickle spear--the one that's ham and cheese, on I think either french toast or pancakes, deep fried and dusted with sugar?

I've eaten a lot of not-so-good food, but the one time in 10 years I've been to a Bennigans, someone at my table ordered that and I swear I had to go outside to smoke until they ate it all. I couldn't even sit at the same table as that sandwhich.

recipes online?? I want to see one for that sandwhich that was fried ass on a plate with a pickle spear--the one that's ham and cheese, on I think either french toast or pancakes, deep fried and dusted with sugar?

I've eaten a lot of not-so-good food, but the one time in 10 years I've been to a Bennigans, someone at my table ordered that and I swear I had to go outside to smoke until they ate it all. I couldn't even sit at the same table as that sandwhich.

That's the Monte Cristo that some others were pining for. :lol:

I can't complain too much about Bennigans. That was my first waiter job in law school, and they taught me how to tend bar, as well, a talent I turned into a law degree. Though I have to admit that I haven't been in one in at least 8 years, and the only sandwiches I liked were the French Dip and the Rueben.

Oh, and here's the recipe, crunch.

Fried Ass On A Plate w/pickle spear

Huh? :o

They closed 11. In a metro area that spans just over 10,000 square miles! That's the equivalent of one restaurant per area the size of Dallas County! :blink:

The Bennigans were concentrated in Harris County, with one in Montgomery County. From: http://www.bennigans.com/locations_domestic.php?state=TX

HARRIS COUNTY

In Houston:

*Inside 610

** 3963 Kirby Drive

** 2700 South Loop West

*Inside Beltway, outside 610

** 5015 Westheimer Road

** 12008 East Freeway

** 11940 Dickinson Road

** 222 North Belt Drive East

*Outside the Beltway

** 1330 West Bay Area Blvd

In Humble:

* 140 Fm 1960 E Bypass

In unincorporated Harris County:

* 20210 Katy Freeway

* 211 FM 1960 West

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

* Conroe

** 1301 West Davis Street

Blasphemy!! How can you put down a ham and cheese sandwich that is battered, deep fried, sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, and served with jam! It's as American as high fructose corn syrup!

I haven't been to a Bennigan's for a long, long time. I remember when the one at Gulfgate opened. It seemed exotic and fun at the time. Then TGIFriday's and Chili's showed up, and they all became places my mom liked to go drink with her teacher friends. It's hard to think of a place as exotic or fun and simultaneously hold the image of a gaggle of drunken elementary teachers laughing at all the kooky items stapled to the walls. I dreamed of a truck filled with kooky items and staples, a long high pressure air duct snaking out of it, blasting new restaurants with charm and humor. Thunk! A dented french horn! Thunk! A moose head wearing a "funny" slogan baseball cap!

I was told by an employee that the only franchise in Houston is the one at 1960 and Steubner-Airline... Said it would be closed for a day or two then re-open once everything is hashed out. They could be full of it however...

I was told by an employee that the only franchise in Houston is the one at 1960 and Steubner-Airline... Said it would be closed for a day or two then re-open once everything is hashed out. They could be full of it however...

Yeah...full of lame food! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived