Houston In Automobile Commericals....

UrbaNerd

Soo, does anyone here remember any automobile ads that were taped in Houston?

Currently, Mercury is running a commercial about the Mountaineer that takes place in Midtown- you can see the Post Apartments, various lofts, and 1500 louisiana in the distance...

Soo, does anyone here remember any automobile ads that were taped in Houston?

Currently, Mercury is running a commercial about the Mountaineer that takes place in Midtown- you can see the Post Apartments, various lofts, and 1500 louisiana in the distance...

Yah, Toyota use to be Houston Crazy with shots of Downtown. Ford once, I belive, and Chevy had one, but now mostly shows Dallas with a Houston Freeway sign. Thats all I can think of.

• 1 month later...

I've seen a Subaru commercial with Lance Armstrong in it that takes place in Houston. The subaru is driving on I-45 and you can see the three aches of the new Metro Transit Authority building in the background. There is another shot where you can see the skyline coming up 45.

Yah, Toyota use to be Houston Crazy with shots of Downtown. Ford once, I belive, and Chevy had one, but now mostly shows Dallas with a Houston Freeway sign.  Thats all I can think of.

That is because those commercials are shown just in Texas. Especially the ones that say "Ford is the best in Texas."

That is because those commercials are shown just in Texas.  Especially the ones that say "Ford is the best in Texas."

It's sad, but true. The commericals that we see showing off Houston rarely air anywhere else. Texas is a large enough market that car companies make special commericals which only air in Texas. While they're at it, it's easy for them to re-edit the shots to tailor the commercials to Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Oklahoma City, which is frequently considered part of the Texas market in some industries.

Once I was watching TV in a hotel in Oklahoma City and saw a commercial for some truck or another and it was the same jingle I was used to from Houston, except that "Texas" was replaced by "Oklahoma" and a few of the skyline shots were removed, but many of the other shots were still there.

I've seen a Subaru commercial with Lance Armstrong in it that takes place in Houston.  The subaru is driving on I-45 and you can see the three aches of the new Metro Transit Authority building in the background.  There is another shot where you can see the skyline coming up 45.

This commercial plays in Los Angeles.

That is because those commercials are shown just in Texas.  Especially the ones that say "Ford is the best in Texas."

I know, Toyota Power Team Dealer doo-la. But what about the Lone Star additon, Texas whatever Dodge/Ford/Chevy (2) have. The one Hertz Commercial, the one with San Francisco, LA, Houston, and Miami, was played threw out the south. I'm sure it changed for other cities... But Houston was the only one out of the 4 that showed the Skyline, and a good one at that!

I know, Toyota Power Team Dealer doo-la. But what about the Lone Star additon, Texas whatever Dodge/Ford/Chevy (2) have. The one Hertz Commercial, the one with San Francisco, LA, Houston, and Miami, was played threw out the south. I'm sure it changed for other cities... But Houston was the only one out of the 4 that showed the Skyline, and a good one at that!

Yeah, the Hertz commercial does play around the country. "Close to you." lol.

It also works the other way. Houston was subjected to Applebee's commercials for years before the first Applebee's opened in the Houston area. It's just easier/cheaper to buy time on a hundred TV stations than to pick and choose.

Yah, Toyota use to be Houston Crazy with shots of Downtown. Ford once, I belive, and Chevy had one, but now mostly shows Dallas with a Houston Freeway sign.  Thats all I can think of.

Those Toyota commercials are really done by Gulf States Toyota. They're based in Houston. This is the toyota cartel in the region. They're also the reason why the arena is named after Toyota.

How about the one they did for the Camry LE in LA? HOW did they get the highways cleared for that? Or did they use a bluescreen?

How about the one they did for the Camry LE in LA?  HOW did they get the highways cleared for that?  Or did they use a bluescreen?

I'm not sure about L.A., but in other cities where I've seen them using freeways for commericals, it's usually on a Sunday morning or evening and they only shut down the freeway for 15 minutes at a time.

I'm not sure about L.A., but in other cities where I've seen them using freeways for commericals, it's usually on a Sunday morning or evening and they only shut down the freeway for 15 minutes at a time.

Are you just making this up as you go? No car company, ad agency or film crew is shutting any freeway down. They may close a street here or there or perhaps use a bit of an unfinished, unopened freeway, but the implications of closing an operating state or interstate highway are too ridiculous to even ponder for a mere ad agency or film crew.

This is the kind of thing that ran off many of the old members. Save your speculations for Montrose1100

Are you just making this up as you go? No car company, ad agency or film crew is shutting any freeway down. They may close a street here or there or perhaps use a bit of an unfinished, unopened freeway, but the implications of closing an operating state or interstate highway are too ridiculous to even ponder for a mere ad agency or film crew.

This is the kind of thing that ran off many of the old members. Save your speculations for Montrose1100

You're forgetting one important thing. $. Almost anything's for sale.

Um, Its been done before. Ever seen the Movie Speed?

Lexus 4X4 under the "Enron" circle.

Highlighting our bumpy roads.

They should have gone down Dairy Ashford close to Westheimer to the new Tollway.

P.S. Applebees is AWESOME!! When they say "Eating Good in your Neighborhood" they mean by the memorbilla that they collect by the local high schools like their pom poms, their letter (from their letter jacket), newspaper, etc...

I ate at Applebees all the time in El Paso, TX and I loved it!! and it WAS in my neighborhood. Its an overglorified Bennigan or chili's.

and much more expensive!

Are you just making this up as you go? No car company, ad agency or film crew is shutting any freeway down.

Nice flame. Too bad you have nothing to back it up.

Freeways are shut down all the time for a number of reasons. Freeways exist because they are tools of commerce, not just transportation. They are shut down for things like moving a large house or a private yacht, relocating livestock, and yes -- filming commercials, TV shows, and movies.

How do I know? Because it's my JOB to know. All it takes is the right permits, and the right fees paid. Every state, and most large cities, employ people whose full-time job is making things like this happen for TV shows, commericals, and movies. In Texas, it's the Texas Film Commission.

Nice flame.  Too bad you have nothing to back it up.

Freeways are shut down all the time for a number of reasons.  Freeways exist because they are tools of commerce, not just transportation.  They are shut down for things like moving a large house or a private yacht, relocating livestock, and yes -- filming commercials, TV shows, and movies.

How do I know?  Because it's my JOB to know.  All it takes is the right permits, and the right fees paid.  Every state, and most large cities, employ people whose full-time job is making things like this happen for TV shows, commericals, and movies.  In Texas, it's the Texas Film Commission.

Not to oversay what you said.. did that make sense?

I saw a guy (I was with my dad who was driving on 59 on Sunday going to Sugar Land) trying to jump from the overpass of the freeway ledge and police were there. i'm surprised they didn't shut down the street below, get back up, OR close any of the lanes down. If that guy would have jumped, he would have definately suceeded his mission in killing himself. BUT we didn't hear about it on the news so I hope things turned out the best and he decided NOT to jump!

not to burst a bubble or anything, but many automobile commercials are local or regional. a camero commercial in houston will not be the same camero commercial in atlanta. i doubt the commercials with houston as a backdrop are more than that. many of the voice overs identify texas or houston specifically as you're seeing houston as a back drop.

Archived