What Makes You Tick?

lockmat

I've been contemplating the meaning of life holistically lately, and even more so just my reason for living day to day life - waking up and living and being responsible.

Sometimes I have a hard time living my life consistently with what I feel my purpose is and my world view.

What about all of you? What makes you tick? Do you have a hard time being consistent with living with that view?

I've been contemplating the meaning of life holistically lately, and even more so just my reason for living day to day life - waking up and living and being responsible.

Sometimes I have a hard time living my life consistently with what I feel my purpose is and my world view.

What about all of you? What makes you tick? Do you have a hard time being consistent with living with that view?

I don't claim to know anything at all, in the purest philosophical sense, and therefore internal consistency is not an issue.

But on a day-to-day basis, I tend to focus upon the hedonistic pursuit of such things as please me. I had a sig that I used for a long time that defined this formulaically.

EDIT: Just to clarify, "hedonism" carries with it a connotation that needs to be ignored. I'm using its precise definition, but also in a very broad sense. It applies, basically, to anything that I would want to do. The essential message is that I know what I like and pursue it.

What a timely post. This has been a huge topic for me lately.

At this point in my life, I'm just trying to be the best person I am able, given the position I find myself at this age. I want to provide for my family, let all the important people in my life know I love and care for them (both through words and action) every day, and simply to be a kind individual.

I think what makes one tick depends on one's age, and the responsibilities (or lack thereof) that comes with experience. For the most part, I don't find my worldview difficult to practice. What I do find frustrating is my current inability to take my passions and turn them into a way to make money in order to support my family. I feel life is much too short to waste my days working at desk for a big corporation (and making them a lot of money). But, especially given the economy right now, I am grateful that I have a decent paying job which allows me to enjoy my passions when I'm not at work. It's a double-edged sword I suppose...

I think to simply put it (overly simple, though, and leaves room for much interpretation as it is subjective), asking one question of yourself is what it comes down to:

Are you a "positive difference maker?"

What makes you tick? Do you have a hard time being consistent with living with that view?

People, it will always be people that make me tick.

I enjoy all kinds of people, I thrive on it. It doesn't matter if it's one on one (even better) or in a big crowd. I love it.

It is the easiest thing in the world to do.

I call it having internal mass appeal.

Everyone has a story to tell & we learn from each other, it's that simple. :)

I don't tick; I gurgle.

If you mean what keeps me from killing myself, I enjoy the hell out of life. I have an amazing daughter and a the world's greatest fiancee. My job is fun. The world is big and full of things to experience.

Even when it's painful, life is still better than the alternative.

People, it will always be people that make me tick.

I enjoy all kinds of people, I thrive on it. It doesn't matter if it's one on one (even better) or in a big crowd. I love it.

It is the easiest thing in the world to do.

I call it having internal mass appeal.

Everyone has a story to tell & we learn from each other, it's that simple. :)

I must say, I'm 100% with Vertigo. Understanding and learning from others will keep you grounded. People are my source of energy. On a more philosophical note: everything else to me is distraction and static. Too many people get too wrapped up in the idea that they have some higher purpose. It's just the opposite for me. It's the lower purpose that keeps one honest. Modern western society has taught people to aspire. But most of us don't really have anything to offer, other than to be decent humans. If I've quoted Fight Club a thousand times, I'll quote it again: we are not unique and beautiful snowflakes. Age helps a lot in accepting all this.

If you read RedScare's signature, that about sums it up for me.

What in tarnation? :o

Sounds like someone needs a little cheering up! Maybe a Spartan Cheer will do!

nocaption1.jpg

Well, when you get up and go to a job everyday that's just 'eh' and you're 25 and realize this is what life is gonna be like until I die, well, thoughts like that come to mind. I wondered why people don't commit suicide more often. Not that I plan on it, trust me.

And it's not that I don't have things in my life to make me happy, I do. I believe I have a correct perspective on how to never let myself down and truly be content.

Ok, now everyone thinks I'm the community crazy man, or did someone get nominated for that already? :lol:

Has anyone read the Biblical book of Ecclesiastes? (k, now I'm really gonna get it)

Well, when you get up and go to a job everyday that's just 'eh' and you're 25 and realize this is what life is gonna be like until I die, well, thoughts like that come to mind. I wondered why people don't commit suicide more often. Not that I plan on it, trust me.

Ah. You're 25. One of the things you can do to find more joy in life is get older. I know pop culture equates youth with happiness, but pop culture is wrong. Each decade of my life has made me happier and more serene.

You have no idea what your life will be like until you die.

Well, when you get up and go to a job everyday that's just 'eh' and you're 25 and realize this is what life is gonna be like until I die, well, thoughts like that come to mind.

Grasshopper, you really need to get out more!

I have a simple solution. Travel as much as you can. Make a priority to spend you time and money that way. Go by yourself if no one will go with you. Trust me. If nothing else, you will have fun, meet women, gain valuable perspective, and you can put off the 'eh' stage until your 40s, the way god intended.

25 is much too young for 'eh'. It makes me sad to hear you say that. You should be sleeping 2 hours a night and wringing everything out of life that you can! (And that doesn't mean partying in the traditional sense, if you don't want it to be) Someone like Uncle RedScare should give you some advice from the male perspective.

edit--meme is right, it gets better as you get older. But it still shouldn't be a drag now.

I'd like to enjoy my job, but I don't expect to. I just think it's kind of sad when I hear this every week from coworkers passing by:

Monday - "How's it goin?" - "It's Monday. Four more days 'til Friday"

Tuesday - "How's it goin?" - "It's not Monday"

Wednesday - "How's it goin?" - "It's hump day, almost there!"

Thursday - "..." - "Just one more day"

Friday - "..." - "It's Friday"

Next week...repeat

Next week...repeat

It never fails.

Crunch, don't get me wrong, I like those things and they can bring temporal satisfaction, which is fine. I just don't find my ultimate satisfaction in them because they never completely satisfy. I'll always be looking for something new and it'll never stop.

I think the one thing I get down about is the daily grind that life is. I am not ashamed to admit that I hate it; doing the same thing over and over every day. Getting up, going to work, blah blah blah

But hey, that's life. It's what I do in between the monotony that counts.

While I know that for some it is not possible for whatever reason, I'd recommend working toward doing something for work that you enjoy. Not that you'll enjoy it forever, but those of us that work usually spend quite a bit of our lives doing whatever it is we do. If I'm someone's going to spend 40 hours every week somewhere, it would be nice to like it and do something "useful."

On the other hand, people have to do what they have to do - in that case, pursue your interests through hobbies, travel (like crunch mentioned), etc...

oh, and ps: I love my job, but I still get the "is it Friday yet?" blues :)

I don't even notice work any more, and I do it pretty hard for over 40 hours a week. I think I enjoy my job...I'm here right now and it's all good. But when I leave the office, it's gone. Don't think about it, don't talk about it. Life is about the other stuff. For me, playing with the cutest little baby girl in the world, who will have nothing less than complete attention from mommy or daddy, or both if she wants it. She is hilarious. I used to tie my purpose to my life's work, whatever that is, but now I'm falling more in line with crunch, it's the other, little things that make it what it is. One day I have dreams of running either a brewery or a barbecue place, but really that's just because I'll need something to do after I "retire" or I will go insane. Or 20thStMom will.

Anyway, 25 wasn't that long ago for me, but I remember hating coming to work every day. Since then, that's just faded, and I think I'm slightly schizo the way I separate my work time from the rest of my time, but it works for me.

I don't even notice work any more, and I do it pretty hard for over 40 hours a week. I think I enjoy my job...I'm here right now and it's all good. But when I leave the office, it's gone. Don't think about it, don't talk about it. Life is about the other stuff. For me, playing with the cutest little baby girl in the world, who will have nothing less than complete attention from mommy or daddy, or both if she wants it. She is hilarious. I used to tie my purpose to my life's work, whatever that is, but now I'm falling more in line with crunch, it's the other, little things that make it what it is. One day I have dreams of running either a brewery or a barbecue place, but really that's just because I'll need something to do after I "retire" or I will go insane. Or 20thStMom will.

Anyway, 25 wasn't that long ago for me, but I remember hating coming to work every day. Since then, that's just faded, and I think I'm slightly schizo the way I separate my work time from the rest of my time, but it works for me.

I agree. When I leave work, I don't even think about it. Never have.

While I know that for some it is not possible for whatever reason, I'd recommend working toward doing something for work that you enjoy.

Amen. I had a job about 23 years ago that I didn't enjoy. I worked there for a week and then quit. Staying there would have driven me over the edge. I'm incredibly lucky because something I do for fun in my spare time also happens to pay pretty well as a full time job. I know everyone can't be that lucky, but don't settle too soon.

Archived