Home At 7623 River Point Dr.

flipper

My mom lived next door to this house for 15 years. She built at 7627 in the early 90s after I went to college.

This home was probably only owned by one family. The husband died about 7 years ago or so. I hope this isn't an estate sale.

My mom lived next door to this house for 15 years. She built at 7627 in the early 90s after I went to college.

This home was probably only owned by one family. The husband died about 7 years ago or so. I hope this isn't an estate sale.

Well, there's an open house on Thursday (31st) from noon - 2pm. Isn't that an odd day for an open house?

The detail says "Great property to update or build. Located in Hunters Creek neighborhood of River Bend on cul-de-sac. DESSERT SERVED!" <_<

7627 was designed by Frank Welch, right?

7627 was designed by Frank Welch. It's a beautiful home. My mom often regrets selling it but she wanted to move closer to downtown and her church. Mr. Welch also designed the house I grew up in on Broad Oaks Circle.

My mom has only gone back to 7627 once. The people that moved in apparently made some cosmetic changes that were too much for her to cope!

Some interesting and random updates (I'm thinking primarily of the granite in the kitchen, very incongruous to the cabinets, and the ugly tile in the bathroom), but a gorgeous house nevertheless. The entrance is stunning. I love the back view and the little study with tiny fireplace. :)

Houston Mod is in touch with the realtor to do a Mod of the Month here in August, but I'll be over there today to check it out.

Some interesting and random updates (I'm thinking primarily of the granite in the kitchen, very incongruous to the cabinets, and the ugly tile in the bathroom), but a gorgeous house nevertheless. The entrance is stunning. I love the back view and the little study with tiny fireplace. :)

The date is not confirmed yet, but I went to see it yesterday and it is beautiful. It's small though, and not as "open plan" as you might expect. The setting is woodsy to say the least, but no "back yard" really, just a forest. Jake (my dog) would not appreciate that.

Jason

Glad to hear it, please let us know what day it will be as I would really like to see this house.

• 7 months later...
Just thinking about this house today. It's down to $850K now. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It's still on the market, I think. Hopefully the buyer that was interested will be able to get it soon.

Not a good deal at all, price still way to high. With 7611 River Point Dr down the street at $795,000 listing price, it starts to make this one a little more realistic. Its just taking a long time for people to realize the boom days are long gone and the prices need to come on way back.

I agree it's pricey. But it's in Piney Point Village. I was actually surprised to see a sub $1 million price tag on a nice house in that area.

You could find similar houses for half the price - but they'll be around my part of town, near Brays Bayou in Southwest Houston. You won't get something like that, much cheaper in Memorial.

The McMansion craze has finally hit RiverBend. I drove back thru there about two weeks ago and was amazed at was has been built (or, rather, what has been torn down) since my mom moved. Some terrible new builds back there that completely ruin the scale of what was formerly a fairly intact mcm neighborhood.

One thing about RiverBend though is that while it is in the City of Hunter's Creek, kids are zoned to HISD (a choice of Lamar or Westside). Has something to do with the side of the bayou it is on.

Houston had a boom?

flipper

Yes, I don't know why people continue to say it didn't, when in fact it did. All the same economics and lending practices from the rest of the country were also done in Houston. Obvioulsy not 100% all areas. Look at some basic data for this house. You tell me an approx 80% run up in "value" in 4 years is not boom bubble numbers? Does not even matter if you look at inflation or not, still too high to be "normal". The fact that one could even flip homes shows the housing bubble was present, if it were traditional redlining type of mortgages, it really would not be possible. As in the same as other McMansion infected areas, these neighborhood bubbles were created by builders who artifically ramped up the home "values" by building the out of scale Mcmansions. They were able to sell them due to cheap bubble years money, thats over and prices have to come way back. <_<

What is even more puzzling is people that try and say that certain neigborhoods are basically excluded from basic economics. The people who live in Laguna Beach / Dana Point areas of SoCal also thought that, now they realize its not true.

Edited by retromodernjeff

• The title was changed to Home At 7623 River Point Dr.