Inappropriate Renovation De jour

domus48

If there was any hope that this property -- possibly a William Floyd -- would retain any of it's original post war modern character, such is dashed (no surprise actually given the all telling front door). At $549K -- with non-upgraded below grade plumbing (caveat emptor!) this one has it all from the standpoint of flipping -- did they gain anything from removing the fireplace?

(see sevfiv's link below)

In an earlier posting I mentioned that this properties overall condition prior to the remodel most likely would have been better served by knocking down and building anew. Interestingly, one can still make the same statement.

Hate to admit it, but I live across the street from this poor sod. The only silver lining is that at least they didn't tear it down, as they've done to so many other houses along that stretch of Memorial. You should see the one at the corner of Memorial and Beltway 8, fer chrissakes. It's about ten times worse...

But, yeah. Dan's right. The entire interior of the house is "chamois." Bland, uninspired, lazy.

The front door is simply criminal. Aside from being ugly (and terrifically cheap-looking; on sale at Home Depot much?) on its own, it doesn't match the style of the house remotely. Here...let me just put a gigantic, stained-glass, walnut door on the front of my adobe hacienda. Same principle at work here.

And those spindly, sickly-looking little columns underneath the arches that dominate the main living area? Hate.

Boo. Times a million. :angry2:

I hate those oval leaded glass doors with the bright shiny brass trim, even on colonial houses. On a mod house like this it looks ridiculous. Painting the brick was another mis-step. They did everything wrong on it.

They stripped the house of its character. It is completely tasteless IMO.

I saw this house before the renovation. It needed a lot of work, but had it been redone properly They could have spent less rehabbing and sold for more. That's the ironic part.

I viewed this house during its previous sale period and to me it was in absolutely horrible shape: walls, floors, ceilings, and exterior all rotting away. So in a way it's kind of nice that it's still standing but about the only mod feature they saved was the courtyard walls of windows. They took down two walls and a two-way fireplace in the kitchen/living area and added the "flyover" at the rear of the center courtyard and the interior archways have no ties whatsoever to the house's style. I'd be really shocked if they can get anywhere close to that asking price.

I wonder if the pitched roofs are original to the house, or are they a later addition. To bad about this house, surprised it wasn't bulldozed. Love those atriums.

I wonder if the pitched roofs are original to the house, or are they a later addition. To bad about this house, surprised it wasn't bulldozed. Love those atriums.

The pitched roofs were added sometime, there was an original photo of the house on the Memorial Bend site with a flat roof. There was evidence in the house of a leaky roof when I viewed it and I guess the original owner thought adding the new elevations would fix it. I'm still kind of new to this thing (looking at older houses) but I hate to say that there was LOTS of deferred maintenance evident in the house. Don't know how long it had been vacant but I believe the house was still owned by the original buyer or at least a longtime second owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Gee, I know I want to spend a lot for a semi-disfunctional kitchen with big tile, and lowest bidder granite counters that looks like absolutely every production house cheaply stamped out in outer suburbia. And there's the standard stamped out brushed stainless appliances that must be a delivered in the dead of night and scream that the designer has never ever taken care of a kitchen before. I know I dream of my appliances looking like Denny's threw them away. The only think that says "culture" about these numbing kitchens is the cultured stone and tile they settled for. For the full "Inquisition" look why don't they throw in some wrought iron wire raclks!

Designers seem to be able to sell this idea over and over because there's obviously a large herd of Lemmings to buy them.

Archived