Lindale Park

Does anyone on here live in Lindale Park or do you know anything about the quality of life there?

A colleague at work is getting ready to sell her mother's house on Milwaukee and I am wondering what type of investment it might be for me and my partner.

Thanks.

Does anyone on here live in Lindale Park or do you know anything about the quality of life there?

A colleague at work is getting ready to sell her mother's house on Milwaukee and I am wondering what type of investment it might be for me and my partner.

Thanks.

Sell prices went up fairly dramatically over the last few years. My wife's aunt lives there on Fairbanks and has for 60+ years and has many of the same neighbors as she has had for many years. The rail line is going thru the neighbor (it won't be stopping of course) as it makes its way up to Northline so that might help property values long term but not right away while construction is happening. Additionally, a Precint Commissioner as well as a City Councilman both live in the neighborhood which never hurts.

Thanks.

My partner lives on Milwaukee. I have friends on Fairbanks and I have sold houses on Woodard & Canadian and have a listing on Joyce, so I am pretty familiar with the area.

Lindale Park has a pretty good record of appreciation. They have an active civic club and they put on a 4th of July parade that is pretty impressive. Crime is low, you see a lot of people out walking on Helmers. Retail pretty much sucks, although they are redoing Northline sort of like Gulfgate and that should help. The rail line is going up the west side of the neighborhood too, and I think that will give it a good shot in the arm.

Is it the brown brick house that was just cleared out?

We've lived in Lindale Park for almost 9 years, and are quite happy here. If proximity to upscale retail (or walkable retail) is important to you, you may not be so happy, but as far as access to the rest of the city goes, you're within very close reach of four major freeways (45, 59, 10, and 610), and commuting most anywhere is a breeze because you're going against the major flow of traffic during both the morning and evening rush hours. Crime mostly happens around the neighborhood rather than in it, with the exception of the occasional burglary or petty theft, and those incidents happen pretty much everywhere in Houston. My perception is that it's slightly more of a concern if you're in the area east of Irvington (between Irvington and the eastern boundary of the neighborhood at Robertson). Demographics are predominantly Hispanic, with an increasing number of gays who have been priced out of Montrose and the Heights, and there is a fairly active civic club - check out the website here.

You can get a much larger lot and house for considerably less money than in the Heights, as you're probably aware. From an investment standpoint, I think there's still plenty of room for appreciation, again depending on exactly where you live. Our property value has almost doubled since we moved in. There are still a fair number of houses that could stand to be rehabbed, but there are plenty of others that are mostly original and well-maintained. The neighborhood as a whole should be considered transitional, but eventually more and more people are going to discover the value to be had here, especially once the light rail corridor goes in on Fulton (construction is scheduled to start on that this summer, with completion targeted for 2012). HAIFer rps will probably have something to add here from his perspective as a realtor who is familiar with the area (and I see he already has while I was composing this post. :) )

The rail line is going thru the neighbor (it won't be stopping of course)

Are you sure about that? Last I heard, there was going to be a station at Graceland and Fulton.

We've lived in Lindale Park for almost 9 years, and are quite happy here. If proximity to upscale retail (or walkable retail) is important to you, you may not be so happy, but as far as access to the rest of the city goes, you're within very close reach of four major freeways (45, 59, 10, and 610), and commuting most anywhere is a breeze because you're going against the major flow of traffic during both the morning and evening rush hours. Crime mostly happens around the neighborhood rather than in it, with the exception of the occasional burglary or petty theft, and those incidents happen pretty much everywhere in Houston. My perception is that it's slightly more of a concern if you're in the area east of Irvington (between Irvington and the eastern boundary of the neighborhood at Robertson). Demographics are predominantly Hispanic, with an increasing number of gays who have been priced out of Montrose and the Heights, and there is a fairly active civic club - check out the website here.

You can get a much larger lot and house for considerably less money than in the Heights, as you're probably aware. From an investment standpoint, I think there's still plenty of room for appreciation, again depending on exactly where you live. Our property value has almost doubled since we moved in. There are still a fair number of houses that could stand to be rehabbed, but there are plenty of others that are mostly original and well-maintained. The neighborhood as a whole should be considered transitional, but eventually more and more people are going to discover the value to be had here, especially once the light rail corridor goes in on Fulton (construction is scheduled to start on that this summer, with completion targeted for 2012). HAIFer rps will probably have something to add here from his perspective as a realtor who is familiar with the area (and I see he already has while I was composing this post. :) )

Are you sure about that? Last I heard, there was going to be a station at Graceland and Fulton.

Can you reasonably bike downtown from there? And what routes would you take?

Retail pretty much sucks

That's been my only complaint about the area (that and the fact that I'd like to see the city re-do Irvington from Fulton to at least Crosstimbers).

Anyway, I was just in the area this past Saturday, a nice (but hot) day. I've noticed a couple of the homes along Irvington have been painted. One in particular, a single-story pre-WWII brick home, has gone from deep red brick to a lighter, pewter-like color.

Lots of character in Linwood Park. North Lindale Park isn't bad either, although the quality of the homes isn't of quite the same caliber, IMO.

Can you reasonably bike downtown from there? And what routes would you take?

Yes. Irvington isn't in great shape but traffic isn't really heavy at all. Plus, you can use Fulton as an alternate until they merge. Once you get to about Boundary (or Quitman), you'll want to make a left over to Main and from there isn't a straight shot. Although, going through the tunnel isn't a pleasant experience at all.

Outside of that, pretty straight-forward. Probably a good 20-25-minute bike ride, I'd say.

Archived