Olympics 2008

Deut28Thirteen

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How exactly did you expect NBC to pay the almost one BILLION dollar price tag to carry the games? ($935,000,000.00 I think it what it paid.)

Not sure what this has to do with my statement, unless you are chastising me for my display of un-Americanism in not showing proper respect for American companies that make me obese (Coke), give me heart attacks (McDonalds), and charge me usurious interest rates (Visa). On that count I plead guilty.

I have split the political stuff into its own thread here. Please keep this thread about the games.

Looks like you missed a post (#62). :D

Moving on, here's a YouTube video from a spectator at the stadium of the drum sequence. Frankly, it is even better than NBC's version, as you can actually hear how loud the chants and drums were in the stadium.

My spine still tingles watching this. I am a bit of a drum freak. :blush:

If you spend $300 million on something, it BETTER be damn impressive. Loved the opening ceremonies. I am wondering just how much time the guy running around the top of the stadium practiced that. I thought for a second that when he unlatched his harness to turn sideways, that he had an equiptment malfunction and I said "Oh Shizzle !!!" out loud. The fireworks were amazing and all those l.e.ds in HD were pretty nifty. I liked how they showed Yao, but I was even more impressed with that little 9 yr. old boy/hero that Yao was holding, THE WHOLE TIME !?!?! I agree though, simply a stunt to turn our heads away for a few moments.

Looks like you missed a post (#62). :D

Moving on, here's a YouTube video from a spectator at the stadium of the drum sequence. Frankly, it is even better than NBC's version, as you can actually hear how loud the chants and drums were in the stadium.

My spine still tingles watching this. I am a bit of a drum freak. :blush:

I get goose bumps listening to the drums!

Pretty impressive display. No country is going to be willing to spend $300 million on their opening ceremony again, especially one with a democratic government.

It was a grand introduction for China. A coming out party. They might not be able to host another Olympics , so they wanted to make a good impression.

Looks like Yao Ming hurt his right ankle today against the Redeem team. Not good news for the Rockets. I hope the Chinese team doesn't make it to the qualifying medal round. That way, he can rest his foot. He is about 50-60% healed from his surgery.

Watch the 2008 drummers and try to not imagine the Chinese Army.

I didn't think of the Chinese army. When I saw the drummers (and the people under the moving blocks of type) I thought of reducing the complexity of individual humans to the simplicity of pixels in a matrix. Disturbing.

The greatest comeback that i've seen in swimming history.

I happened to tune in just a couple of swimmers before that last feat of athleticism.

I listened to the announcer talk about Australia a lot and was figuring that they were in the lead. My thought: ho hum, if it isn't us, at least its them. Then France gained a strong lead. My thought: Damn, well at least it isn't Russia. Then I watched as the American guy pulled ahead at the last moment and won by eight hundredths of a second. My thought: so this is why people watch the Olympics! To watch the French be disappointed on a worldwide stage made possible by American corporations. It felt really good.

Made me want to go eat at McDonald's have a supersized Coke, and pay for it with a Visa card.

That was amazing! Lezak is a stud, coming back from that far behind.

Now if we could just get some commentators that are not such debbie downers before every event and are at least a little optimistic. It is Michael Phelps we are talking about, not the economy!

Made me want to go eat at McDonald's have a supersized Coke, and pay for it with a Visa card.

This is no b.s. I watched the games last night eating a supersized chicken-selects and a diet coke - that my wife paid for with her Visa debit card! :lol: lol..

I missed the swimming but did get to watch some women's floor exercises.

The greatest comeback that i've seen in swimming history.

...and after winning - they almost lost it in the celebration! ... I heard on CNN that one of the swimmers almost fell back into the water, after the race. That is against the rules. So not only did they *just barely* win, they *just barely* hung on to it!

You just witnessed the greatest race in Olympic history. The anchor swam a 46 flat to pull it off, un frigging believable

"The Americans? We're going to smash them. That's what we came here for."

I'm sure french swimmer Alain Bernard is sleeping like a baby tonight; Wakes up every other hour and cries.

Yeah the swimming relay is a great example of why the US is such a great country... we've got drive and discipline that just can't be matched. Well when we put our minds to it. Other than that, we're a bunch of grumpy, snooty lazy a##holes.

The parity between different countries in swimming has been really impressive... the rest of the world is catching up to US and Australia. The top 5 teams all broke the WR set by the US 'B' team in prelims (USA, France, AUS, ITA, SWE), which is unheard of in recent times.

China's arcitecture rings false to me.

It's all a grande charade in my eyes.

I just saw a video clip of their arenas and it was designed by some of the well known architectural firms in the world. The structures are solid and designed with ingenuity. Nothing false about it.

Olympic Opening Uses Girl's Voice, Not Face

Olympic opening song uses Chinese girl's voice, but says her face was 'not suitable'

A 7-year-old Chinese girl was not good-looking enough for the Olympics opening ceremony, so another little girl with a pixie smile lip-synched "Ode to the Motherland," a ceremony official said

I'm not a big Olympic watcher, but great for the men's gymnastic team's bronz metal win last night. Especially since Jonathan Horton and Raj Bhavsar are from Houston, as is the team coach!

Do most the Houston gymnasts train at Bella Karoyi's gym? Houston always seems to have quite a presence when it comes to Olympic gymnasts.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching some Japanese game show called "Ninja Warrior" and was surprised to find out that one of the contestants, Jordan Jovtchev from Bulgaria, lives and trains here in Houston. He participated in the '04 Olympics.

Archived