Olympics 2008

Deut28Thirteen

Heres the site to the official website of the Olympics. I got the SI about the olympics and there was almost no mention of Brett Favre and the NFL so you know the olympics are close. What are people looking towards the most and who is going to win the most Golds.

I cant wait for Track and Field. Jamaica vs USA in sprints and the Relays. I find it amazing that little crountry can produce some of the worlds top sprintes after America. I like watching long distance because it is a time when African Nations can show the world thats theres more than just proverty there. I love track so I going to watch.

Basketball better win gold, not lose a game, and blow every country they play out by at least 25 points! Sliver or Bronze wont cut it. If we dont win gold we should start looking at college players. I think theres still the want too play for winning and not endorsments. I think most NBA players dont play that way, but theres a good chunk that do. B-BALL is my favorite sport so I am going to love watching them play. I want Yao to do good with his country just dont beat America. Team USA vs Team China on Aug. 10, 2008.

I am not sure if I would look at Baseball but SI has them winning bronze after Cuba and Japan. I am not sure thay can medal but it is a good chane they will if they play at the top of their game because South America has some good teams. I think Cuba and Japan are good picks for gold and sliver.

I want to see if Michael Phelps wins all eight golds and if the 40 something year old women can medal.

I like watching tennis. I think it is a fun sport. I am going for the William sisters to take gold and sliver in singles with Venus winning gold and Maria sharapova taking bronze. The williams sisters to win gold in doubles. Roger Federer then Nadal and taking bronze Djokovic.

The lopez's from Houston so I want them to do good and win gold in taekwondo. Go ninja on them in Beijing! :ph34r:

And of Course America wins the most Golds and medals over all.

So what do yall think about my picks and what are yours?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Olympics have become little more than an over hyped, money grubbing exhibition that has almost nothing to do with National pride and everything to do with individual glory and the almighty dollar.

I don

I don't like any sport whose winner is decided by judging. If there are judges then it's not a sport. Not saying it isn't hard, or entertaining, but I want a clear winner, someone to beat someone else. Not a subjective decision on who did better.

I'm looking forward to track and field for sure. Swimming not so much.

It has gotten more about making money but I still enjoy because it only happens 1 time every four years and that always makes it fun for me to watch. I have more of a problem with the athletes cheating. The Olympics is about who is the best athletes in the world and when the athletes take steroids it takes away from what the Olympics mean. I remember watching and being at the '96 olympics it was fun walking around Atlanta seeing all the diffrent people and the events. What I remember the most was that American Gymnast landing on a hurt foot and that won it for America. When look back at that I think that is what an athlete is suppose to be about.

I'm not sure why, but whenever someone says Olympics, I think of an old SNL skit about the All Drug Olympics (held in Bogota) and someone (I think Kevin Nealon) was dead lifting 1,500 jillion pounds on a combination of horse tranquilizers and cocaine, and his arms ripped out at the sockets (very funny and much like the old Julia Child skit).

Or if it's the winter olympics, I just fantasize about cold weather and schnapps. And then more cold weather. Ahhh.

I'm not sure why, but whenever someone says Olympics, I think of an old SNL skit about the All Drug Olympics (held in Bogota) and someone (I think Kevin Nealon) was dead lifting 1,500 jillion pounds on a combination of horse tranquilizers and cocaine, and his arms ripped out at the sockets (very funny and much like the old Julia Child skit).

Or if it's the winter olympics, I just fantasize about cold weather and schnapps. And then more cold weather. Ahhh.

I think of Dan Jansen busting his arse. Sometimes, I think of the Black Power dudes in Mexico City. Oh, and the US basketball team getting jobbed by the Soviets in Munich.

As for Olympic TV, I think of McDonalds, VISA and Coke...and all make me ill. I also think of cheezy human interest stories on the athletes, which is generally why I no longer even watch the Olympics. I don't care that you got picked on as a child, I just want to see world records.

The events I'm most looking forward to are:

5) The field events. Particularly, any event where it involves throwing something. I don't care who wins the gold. All I care about is who screams the loudest, and who makes the funniest face as they get ready to throw the object.

4) Tennis. I really wanna see Nadal vs. Federer for the gold. The Wimbleton Final this year was the best tennis match ever.

3) Men's Basketball. US international basketball games in the Olympics will be far more passionate and intense than the NBA, which is in itself fun to watch. I also look forward to watching Yao Ming and his teammates represent their home country. Even if they make the quarter-finals, it will take basketball in China to another level.

2) Men's and women's soccer. Two Dynamo players on the US team, and they'll be going up against players like Ronaldinho from Brazil and Messi from Argentina for the gold?! Hells yeah. Then the US women will be going up against Marta from Brazil again. That goal she scored against the US in last year's World Cup was my favorite play of that year. I wanna see if the women can get back to their glory years again even if Wambach's injured

1) USA vs. Jamaica in the track and field relay. I gotta agree; that's going to be exciting to watch. I gotta go for the native country Jamaica for this one B) Back in Jam-Rock, track is the biggest event to watch for any Summer Olympics. I think the black, green, and gold's gonna take it this year.

The best part of the Olympics though will be checking out all their new stadiums and architecture during the events.

The Olympics have become little more than an over hyped, money grubbing exhibition that has almost nothing to do with National pride and everything to do with individual glory and the almighty dollar.

I don't like all the attention "favorites" get before they have competed, or at times even qualified. Remember Bow (I think his name was) a few years back, the guy that was so hyped, then fell flat of his famous face? What a joke.

I don't like the politics that surround the Olympics. I don't like the graft involved, like with the illegal under the table payoffs to the Olympic Site Selection Committee. And I don't like the way the networks (especially ABC) manufactured drama when showing the events. This is especially prevalent with individual events where they show the performers out of order to make sure the results are not known until the last person has finished.

I quit buying into this overblown extravaganza years ago. But then, that's just my opinion.

Over hyped? This is not the NBA, NFL or MLB where teams are crowned "World" champions. Sure overall they have the best athletes in their sport. But these athletes truly are competing against the best in the World. I mean, to watch and see who the fastest guy in the world is? To be able to say out of billions of people that live on this planet, you're the fastest living human being?

These people train for four years for this one event. They don't play for a super bowl or world series every year. They get one chance every four years and just maybe a second chance in another four?

And these guys train for four years, I have no problems with them making money. They don't have time for a full or even part time job.

I just ignore all the commercial stuff people complain about. It's part of it all, whatever.

This event deserves all the hype it gets.

I think in the late mid-to-late 70s, the Olympics were fun. Lately, I think they've become too commercialized and boring.

I can understand commercialized, in the way that they run commercials and have sponsors. But doesn't everything?

And how so boring? Are you just used to it and therefore bored? Athletes are doing things faster and faster and breaking world records.

These people train for four years for this one event. They don't play for a super bowl or world series every year. They get one chance every four years and just maybe a second chance in another four?
That

Olympics=that visual for me too

edit - Phil Hartman:

206mt6q.jpg

:D

I also think of cheezy human interest stories on the athletes, which is generally why I no longer even watch the Olympics. I don't care that you got picked on as a child, I just want to see world records.

Yes! I hate that crap. What was it called, "Dick Enberg's Olympic Moments" or something? Every time I hear the sappy music it's time to change the channel. Bring on the world records and USA gold!

I can understand commercialized, in the way that they run commercials and have sponsors. But doesn't everything?

And how so boring? Are you just used to it and therefore bored? Athletes are doing things faster and faster and breaking world records.

I dunno. It just feels plastic. It doesn't feel like champions of champions, just another sporting event.

Also, I think some of the slickness has killed it for me. They have all these loopy camera angles, floating cameras, tracking camera, cameras up the cracks of the loogers (or however you spell it).

I dunno ... and all the COMMENTATORS!!! I wish they would just STFU and let us enjoy what we're watching with less comments. I don't need them to tell me that "someone picked up a ball, now he's moving with the ball ..."

Gimme a break.

I get stoked with the boxing! None of that dance around the ring 12 to 15 rounds, in olympics they have three, three minute rounds to show their stuff....

Over hyped? This is not the NBA, NFL or MLB where teams are crowned "World" champions. Sure overall they have the best athletes in their sport. But these athletes truly are competing against the best in the World. I mean, to watch and see who the fastest guy in the world is? To be able to say out of billions of people that live on this planet, you're the fastest living human being?

And these guys train for four years, I have no problems with them making money. They don't have time for a full or even part time job.

I just ignore all the commercial stuff people complain about. It's part of it all, whatever.

This event deserves all the hype it gets.

I agree with Lockmat on this one. It's a chance to see world competition where each country's athletic pride is the motivation for winning in front of the world, instead of just winning a domestic league title.

From CNN.com

China on alert after deadly border attack

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Authorities have stepped up security ahead of this month's Beijing Olympics after an attack killed 16 police officers and injured 16 more in northwestern China, state-run media reported on Tuesday.

Link

Seems like several Muslim terrorist groups plan to sabotage the Olympics. Stay tuned.

From CNN.com

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Authorities have stepped up security ahead of this month's Beijing Olympics after an attack killed 16 police officers and injured 16 more in northwestern China, state-run media reported on Tuesday.

Link

Seems like several Muslim terrorist groups plan to sabotage the Olympics. Stay tuned.

They also just experienced a really strong quake.

From CNN.com

Link

Has the Muslim link been confirmed? If not I would stay away from that, China has other enemies as well. But if it has been confirmed, it only further shows how the radical muslim actions land so far from true muslim ideals. This event is about friendly global competition, socializing, and making connections.

20thStDad, is that red hair on that baby??! :)

Like fire! I swore I wouldn't have a redhead after so many damn sunburns as a child, but apparently I can't just make that happen. I love it though, hers is beautiful although my has very much browned out. I keep hearing redheads will be extinct in 100 years or whatever, but I see them everywhere. Recessive gene, maybe, or maybe there's a genetic revolution coming...

Just to avoid being too OT, I heard a silly rumor they were going to add gender testing to the drug testing they do at the games. I laughed it off like a chain letter, but the more I think about it, yeah, some of those chinese athletes...there is no way of telling one way or the other. And the east Germans back in the day.

Archived