My favorite restaurant that has gone missing in Houston is Arno's. They were originally located on Cedar St. in Bellaire, adjacent to the Bellaire Triangle. Though nothing more than a hole in the wall in a non-descript strip center, they had Nothern Italian cuisine to die for. I especially enjoyed the stuffed mushroom caps appetizer and any of the main entrees. I recollect that Arno's moved to Montrose Blvd. in the early 80's and most of the ambiance and great tasting food did not make the move with the restaurant( I always wondered if someone else bought the restaurant because the food just wasn't the same). I would be thrilled if the original owners recreated the original Arno's again

Edited by RED ZONE

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - I just today googled Arno's and saw your post. I used to cook at Arno's at the Bellaire location. In fact, I'm making the dill-stuffed mushrooms for a dinner party tonight! I haven't been in touch with the owners for years and now am a lawyer in Washington, DC but still make lots of our old favorites from those days!

My favorite restaurant that has gone missing in Houston is Arno's. They were originally located on Cedar St. in Bellaire, adjacent to the Bellaire Triangle. Though nothing more than a hole in the wall in a non-descript strip center, they had Nothern Italian cuisine to die for. I especially enjoyed the stuffed mushroom caps appetizer and any of the main entrees. I recollect that Arno's moved to Montrose Blvd. in the early 80's and most of the ambiance and great tasting food did not make the move with the restaurant( I always wondered if someone else bought the restaurant because the food just wasn't the same). I would be thrilled if the original owners recreated the original Arno's again

Wow - I just today googled Arno's and saw your post. I used to cook at Arno's at the Bellaire location. In fact, I'm making the dill-stuffed mushrooms for a dinner party tonight! I haven't been in touch with the owners for years and now am a lawyer in Washington, DC but still make lots of our old favorites from those days!

Would you be willing to share some of those recipes? Especially the mushroom caps.....

Edited by RED ZONE

The mushroom caps were easy. Remove the stems and dice them with an equal quanity of onion. Saute in butter, add cream cheese, lots of chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper. Stuff the caps, and dust with parmesan and drizzle with melted butter. Very hot oven. Enjoy!

The mushroom caps were easy. Remove the stems and dice them with an equal quanity of onion. Saute in butter, add cream cheese, lots of chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper. Stuff the caps, and dust with parmesan and drizzle with melted butter. Very hot oven. Enjoy!

Thanks so much

• 1 month later...
  • 13 years later...

About Arnos...the amusing thing about the famous Stuffed Mushrooms was that the owners had a huge collection of cooking Magazines (there weren't many different ones back then...mostly Gourmet.  They got the recipe from Gourmet and as everyone agrees, it was one of the more popular items on the Menu.  One day Janice (I think that was her name)...one of the owners...received a request for the recipe from Gourmet Magazine. It seems that they had a column where readers could mention an item they'd had in a restaurant and Gourmet would try to get the recipe for them.  We all had a good laugh at that. I  was Manager at that time.

• Like 1