HAIF - Houston's original social media

Houston Zoo free admission for those with lone star card

Despite record crowds, officials with the Houston Zoo are looking for ways to attract more low-income families.

Starting Aug. 1, families that use the Lone Star card to receive food stamps and other benefits will have unlimited free admission for themselves and up to eight others.

"We're always trying to expand access," said Deborah Cannon, president and CEO of the Houston Zoo, which set an attendance record with 1.6 million visitors in 2007.

On July 1, ticket prices increased by 25 cents for senior citizens and by $1 for children over 2. Adult admission remains at $10.

full article

my favorite :wacko: quote from the article:

To make matters worse, animals were getting sick after the summer free days because too many people were throwing cotton candy and other items into their pens, zoo officials said.

Well, the zoo officials might consider putting up lots of big, simply worded "don't feed the animals - here's why" signs in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc, throughout the zoo.

ive always liked the houston zoo

when it was hot and steamy i didnt complain

when it was moist and raining i didnt complain

eh, maybe i just like animals enough not to care about the weather

back to topic:

im not sure about the columbus day freebie

i doubt most people even know when is it..

Well, the zoo officials might consider putting up lots of big, simply worded "don't feed the animals - here's why" signs in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc, throughout the zoo.

Maybe those who have so much food that they can afford to throw it at animals should have their Lone Star cards revoked.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe those who have so much food that they can afford to throw it at animals should have their Lone Star cards revoked.

Hey dbig, try to keep up -- the free admission to Lone Star Card-holders is a NEW program starting up in August. The "summer free days" with the food-throwing issue were days when the park was free to EVERYONE.

According to the article, zip code info combined with census data allowed them to estimate that "less than 9 percent of free-day visitors were from low-income areas".

At least try to get your facts straight before deriding the poor.

Hey dbig, try to keep up -- the free admission to Lone Star Card-holders is a NEW program starting up in August. The "summer free days" with the food-throwing issue were days when the park was free to EVERYONE.

According to the article, zip code info combined with census data allowed them to estimate that "less than 9 percent of free-day visitors were from low-income areas".

At least try to get your facts straight before deriding the poor.

:lol:

You'll have to forgive bigtex, Joke. He's normally one of our more compassionate posters, so he is somewhat inexperienced in the art of blaming the poor, as evidenced by your major league smackdown of his post.

Hang in there, Tex! Maybe some of our "libertarian" posters will help guide you through the minefield of effective welfare trash talk. ;)

Yeah, after I finished my post I re-read his and noticed his sig. His sig quote seems to be quite inconsistent with (my reading of) his post.

It made me wonder if I'd completely misread his intent, but at that point I'd already replied.

[in fact, I'm now hoping dbig will come back and clarify that I somehow misunderstood; I'd happily edit my comment if that's the case. Yes, I'm a card-carrying starry-eyed optimist.

I'm also glad I decided against including a line about how a different vowel would seem much more appropriate in "dbig".]

• 12 years later...