living Better Electrically

mrbill

My wife and I recently relocated to Houston from Austin, and love it. We were lucky enough to find exactly what we were looking for in a home - a nice "fifties house" (built in 1958) that was updated enough for our needs.

While going through the house after purchase, I came across a medallion screwed to the wall of the garage, and painted over. I got it off the wall and scrubbed it clean, giving the pictures you see.

After a bit of research, I found the following:

To keep demand high, the electrical industry launched the Live Better Electrically, or LBE, campaign in March 1956. It was supported nationwide by 300 electric utilities and 180 electrical manufacturers.

The campaign got then-actor Ronald Reagan, the popular host of

There are a couple of good steals left in there. The problem is the HISD zoning.

We paid a little more than we wanted to, but it's been more than worth it - I only work 2.5 miles down Westheimer, and we absolutely love the house. Great neighbors also.

On topic, that's really interesting research. Thanks.  Do you know when the program was discontinued?  There was also a "Reddy Kilwatt" logo that was used to promote electricity use.  I wonder if that was related to this program.

I got this in email from someone else who had a slightly different medallion:

The Medallion Home Program was created as an adjunct to the famous GE-sponsored

We paid a little more than we wanted to, but it's been more than worth it - I only work 2.5 miles down Westheimer, and we absolutely love the house.  Great neighbors also.

I think sellers of good 50's style houses are starting to catch on that there is a market for them & asking more. It seems like I can't find the bargains as much this year as last. Anybody else seeing this too?

• The title was changed to living Better Electrically

Archived