Katy Main Street: Mixed-Use Development

Trae

Hey bman, funding is in place and has been in place, they were working on some other things before they proceeded with the unveiling that took place. Do you know what they are going to be asking for retail rents? I am digging around and will let you know if I find out.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I finally got to the root of it. The "Unnamed" grocery store on Katy Main Street will be ...............an HEB!!! It WILL NOT be an HEB PLUS or HEB CENTRAL MARKET. It will look a lot like the new one that they have built on Bunker Hill and I-10. They will be starting construction very very soon, and will open up three new Houston area stores in the next year or so. I will get the location of the other two ASAP. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I finally got to the root of it. The "Unnamed" grocery store on Katy Main Street will be ...............an HEB!!! It WILL NOT be an HEB PLUS or HEB CENTRAL MARKET. It will look a lot like the new one that they have built on Bunker Hill and I-10. They will be starting construction very very soon, and will open up three new Houston area stores in the next year or so. I will get the location of the other two ASAP. :lol:

Confirmed. This will be an HEB and looking at the plan it will also have a gas station. They have put "HEB" under the retail drawing, and it says "HEB pad-site" which will most likely be the gas station.

http://www.bpirealty.com/Uploads/Documents...eet%20Flyer.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
It will not be an HEB Central Market like the one downtown. They have stopped building those because there is too much waste or shrink. It hurts the bottom line when you have to constantly throw away food so that you can have fresh items the next day. I'll see what I find out about this being an heb or not. Stay tuned.

It's not in downtown.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

BisNow's newsletter contains a blurb about Katy Main Street starting phase two of development. Phase 2 is about 86 acres in size.

The firm is eyeing seven tenantsacross 16 acres for the anchor spots and will break ground when at least three have signed on. In the past six months, BPI has signed Chick-Fil-A, Bank of America, two retail buildings, and Alicia’s Mexican Restaurant: All are under construction and will open soon.

BisNow is e-mail only, so no there's no link action to be had. But you can sign up for it here: http://www.bisnow.com/

katymainstreetaerialretaileraerial2012bigbox.jpg

Calling it "Main Street" is somewhat deceptive, it invokes the wrong kind of imagery. This should be "Katy Freeway Frontage Road and Detention Pond Parking Lot Development with National Retail Tenants Totally Devoid of Any Character Whatsoever."

7310147726_e2df14770d_z.jpg

I wonder if I created a gallery of major "shopping center" developments in Houston, rotated the images, removed all the labels, etc. How many people could match them up with the correct locations? What if I used Google Street View plopped down in a parking lot. Could you even tell what part of the city you were in. Or even what city in the USA.

Calling it "Main Street" is somewhat deceptive, it invokes the wrong kind of imagery. This should be "Katy Freeway Frontage Road and Detention Pond Parking Lot Development with National Retail Tenants Totally Devoid of Any Character Whatsoever."

Totally agree. People so far from anything are desperate to trick others into believing they arent. Pretty sad actually.

Totally agree. People so far from anything are desperate to trick others into believing they arent. Pretty sad actually.

Your a clown... One thing I'll give you though, you've got thick skin. As ridiculed as you are on this forum you just keep coming back with dummer and dummer statements and it doesnt seem to phase you.

For the rest of you young and ignorant folks... You obviously hate anything outside of the loop (or close to it), so why must you always speak negative.

These are the far outer suburbs my beloved brain children, and Houston is no different than any other sunbelt city in this regard. I know you want super dense 60 story buildings, and walkable retail for miles, but that's not going to happen here.

Maybe you could channel your energies to something more important like playing hop scotch.

Your a clown... One thing I'll give you though, you've got thick skin. As ridiculed as you are on this forum you just keep coming back with dummer and dummer statements and it doesnt seem to phase you.

You're. Dumber. Now, for the accusations of ignorance, my hatred of the far suburbs springs from personal experience.

You're. Dumber. Now, for the accusations of ignorance, my hatred of the far suburbs springs from personal experience.

LOL!!! Great comeback...

The ignorance I'm speaking of is a goofy desire for Houston's burbs to be something they are not. Also, as a professional musician for almost 30 years I have traveled to every major city in this country and I find it laughable that you and others here act as if Houston's burbs are pitiful in comparison to other cities (save East coast/Chicago) and they are not.

I'm sure your young and single

and I understand the burbs are far more boring to you, but maybe, just maybe as you get older, have a family, and have to worry about your finances a lot more, you may reconsider your point.

Don't misunderstand, I would like a better design, but in the end these businesses are in this to make money, not please your misguided interests for a place you don't live.

I'm sure your young and single

and I understand the burbs are far more boring to you, but maybe, just maybe as you get older, have a family, and have to worry about your finances a lot more, you may reconsider your point.

Hmm? I'm a married, and a homeowner. My finances are just fine. No kids, because we don't like kids.

I think this kind of development is sad anywhere -- in the far suburbs, in the loop, in Chicago, on Mars. It's about one kind of experience and one kind of development that ignores all local context and culture. It's boring because it's homogenous.

You guys are so busy hating that you didn't read the rest of the article, which talks about building a hotel and convention center on the property at part of phase III. Assuming that gets built (which granted is an assumption), wouldn't you agree that moves it out of the generic shopping center characterization that was used earlier?

(pause for generic abuse of suburbs in general)

Further to Gary's point, I would tell you that if you don't have children, you probably don't understand the appeal of the suburbs. If you never have children, then you probably never will. However, if at some point you do have children, you may be surprised to find that it changes your attitude about many things.

I was out there a couple of weeks ago and to me the sad thing is, the actual main street of Katy (maybe not technically, but that's the way I always thought of hwy 90 through town) is still not much better than 30 years ago. Considering that traffic is gridlock and developments are stacked next to each other all the way to Fulshear, I don't see the strip center demand waning anytime soon. I hadn't realized it was now solid down 99 all the way to the prison land! To each his own, but that whole landscape just makes depressed. Our own self-imposed version of European post war housing. One endless note of lowest common denominator infrasructure, with a veneer of consumerism that always offers another brand but never any meaningful choice. Dunno, maybe it's just seeing the prairie landscape covered with it, because I don't have the same visceral reaction when driving through other parts of town built up the same way.

Except that this wasn't pristine prairie land.

It was mostly corn, cotton or rice fields. Or ones that had gone fallow - and turned into scrubland choked by tallow trees. There are a few areas around FM359 out there that are attractive - with some rollling hills and some actual semi-forested areas, but for the most part this is old farmers cashing out - which is fine. Their kids don't want to run cattle and drive a tractor anyway - it's too hard work for them, so it solves a problem for these old-timers and provides affordable housing for people with children and keeps them away from the uber-cool inner loop areas. Only problem I see is the proliferation of faux-stucco - but in the long run - not my problem as long as I don't accidently buy a house with that stuff gooped on.

I agree, poor naming. When I think Main Street, I think a dense, grided, walkable experience. This looks like all those cookie cutter freeway shopping centers.

Boring.

I agree, poor naming. When I think Main Street, I think a dense, grided, walkable experience. This looks like all those cookie cutter freeway shopping centers.

Boring.

That's because it is a cookie cutter freeway shopping center. What else would you do with an HEB, Chick-fil-A, Walgreens, bank and a Whataburger? Put them a 50-story tower there instead?

And why all the obsession with the name of a shopping center? Do you actually believe the name of a project has anything to do with what the project is? Is technical accuracy the new requirement for naming a project?

Just a quick scan down the going up forum....Where are the docks at Richmond Landing? It's just a cookie-cutter 5-6 story infill apartment. Same with the Lakes @610 being built. There is no lake around there. There is a widened drainage ditch attached, but I doubt there will be much fishing or water-skiing done there. Or the Houston Pavilions - just a 3-block long box with stores and restaurants. No outdoorsy-openness to speak of - thats the reason its failing according to everyone on here.

They are all "aspirational" names developers slap on to give somebody a warm fuzzy feeling for choosing to move there. When I see the word Titan - I think of the progenitor of Zeus and the other Olympic gods. Boy would I be disappointed to see a 20-something story condo instead.

But because this is a development in a far-suburb - which fits the surrounding demographic profile and is cost-effective, it is hated on - even though it will probably never be seen by the bulk of the haters - much less visited.

That's because it is a cookie cutter freeway shopping center. What else would you do with an HEB, Chick-fil-A, Walgreens, bank and a Whataburger? Put them a 50-story tower there instead?

And why all the obsession with the name of a shopping center? Do you actually believe the name of a project has anything to do with what the project is? Is technical accuracy the new requirement for naming a project?

Just a quick scan down the going up forum....Where are the docks at Richmond Landing? It's just a cookie-cutter 5-6 story infill apartment. Same with the Lakes @610 being built. There is no lake around there. There is a widened drainage ditch attached, but I doubt there will be much fishing or water-skiing done there. Or the Houston Pavilions - just a 3-block long box with stores and restaurants. No outdoorsy-openness to speak of - thats the reason its failing according to everyone on here.

They are all "aspirational" names developers slap on to give somebody a warm fuzzy feeling for choosing to move there. When I see the word Titan - I think of the progenitor of Zeus and the other Olympic gods. Boy would I be disappointed to see a 20-something story condo instead.

But because this is a development in a far-suburb - which fits the surrounding demographic profile and is cost-effective, it is hated on - even though it will probably never be seen by the bulk of the haters - much less visited.

What can we do to prevent this?

Archived