Old Parade of Homes Mod

rps324

The train wreck is in the station. This one is very original, but in need of a FULL restoration. Following an estate sale there is junk left everywhere and it needs a good cleaning for starters.

Despite all that, there is a very interesting small mod that could be a real gem if someone restored it. At only $65,000 the price is right. It was a 1956 Parade of Homes house designed by a senior Architecture student at Rice University. The design was used for the parade after winning a competition at the University.

The Architect, Mel O'Brien, went on to get his Masters from Princeton and was awarded the William Ward Watkin traveling fellowship from Rice University in 1960. He opened his own firm in Memphis in 1963. His principle works there include Christian Brothers High School and Cypress Jr. High, among other things. He was also part of a league of Architects involved in some of Memphis' civic planning projects. (Spaceage found that info for me, the rest came from Stephen Fox). He was also President of the Memphis AIA Chapter in 1969.

Restored this could be a really great little mod house. I will reserve comments as to what I think of the pictures currently on HAR, so suffice to say I took a couple of my own. It definitely needs a lot of work, but for $65,000, what do you want?

The original design apparently called for the carport to be side loading, which it isn't, and it suffers from a poorly executed garage conversion of the carport, although that could be fixed.

pofh8.jpg

P7220015.jpg

The entire main living area has vaulted beamed ceilings. In front is a main living/dining area with an exposed brick wall and a row of clerestory windows.

P7220016.jpg

A wood stained valance at the opposite end.

P7220017.jpg

There are original aqua accordion doors dividing off the den area, where the vaulted ceilings continue and a wall of glass overlooks a back patio space. The den has stained paneling.

P7220020.jpg

P7220029.jpg

there is an hanging light fixture thing above the sink in the kitchen.

P7220021.jpg

I don't think the kitchen has been painted since 1956 and still sports the old yellow patterned formica and yellow appliances with aqua cabinetry. Sorry if this is sideways, I have rotated it on my saved pictures and on Photobucket, and I just can't get it to do right.

P7220023.jpg

I can really see alot of potential in this house. Since I have never done a restoration of an old house, I have no idea what it would cost, but I can definitely say I don't have the budget for it right now. Just out of curiousity, how much would a restoration like this cost, not including the house? I realize it's a broad question depending on many factors, but what would a good ball park figure be?

I've never even seen cabinetry like that! It looks like the perforated wood my father has in his garage workshop, which he uses to hang tools from. :huh: That said, I still love it, especially with the yellow formica. I realize that we're a dying breed, though. I just hope that future generations appreciate this stuff as much as we do, what little of it may be left in the future, that is...

The ad copy about the kitchen is hilarious, too: "...the kitchen, in a U-shape, which permits the housewife to do all her chores just by turning around, and cuts down on the number of steps she would have to take daily." That was very thoughtful of them :lol:

I hope someone rescues this beauty, but given its location and the amount of TLC that it needs (not to mention the crappy job done on HAR of promoting it to any interested parties) I'm sadly doubtful that any justice will be done to it. Someone please prove me wrong!

The house I grew up in in Overbrook (77087) had perforated wood cabinets with sliding doors, just like those, only there wasn't a bank of cabinets like you see on the right there. Our old house was built in '54 I think. My mother hated those cabinets--they'd always get hung up on the tracks.

Maybe it's just the poor presentation on HAR, but I don't think it looks like it's worth sinking 65K into. I guess it could work out as a quick flip, but it'd take some serious money to do it as a restore and that would take someone wanting to do it to live in it. I don't think the nabe is attractive enough for that.

If i had the cash I'd buy it in a heartbeat - there's one thing that creeps me out, though - all those air fresheners:

9ib5hz.jpg

Holy crap. :blink: Good point. Wonder what odor they're masking...

Anyone want to check to see if someone died here? :ph34r:;)

The location of the house really isn't bad. It's on Cayton Street which is loaded with small mods that haven't been modified with exception of 1 or 2. Cayton is in the process of undergoing consideration for Historic Neighborhood Designation. Hopefully by getting that designation it will create some pride inthe homeowners to take better care of their yards and building exteriors.

I've been in this little house several times over the last couple of weeks. It has tons of potential. Nothing..Nothing has been modified. As RPS stated, the garage is unfortunate. I think they built it that way because the lot is in an unusual position. It's placed between the back of 2 homes, so it is essentially in 2 backyards, but still faces the street. Across the street 2 of the best mods on the Parade of Homes were demolished to build a high school track. Therefore, the front faces the track, but there are no windows in the front so that might not matter. All of the windows face a courtyard (behind the garage which I assume the original owners used as additional auto space since it's cement. The windows facing the courtyard are practically ceiling to floor. To take out the cement in courtyard and landscape that area would be a 100% improvement and would really be the centerpiece of the living area.

I think the unfortunate placement of lot could be mitigated with some cool Mod looking fencing and landscaping.

The location of the house really isn't bad. It's on Cayton Street which is loaded with small mods that haven't been modified with exception of 1 or 2. Cayton is in the process of undergoing consideration for Historic Neighborhood Designation. Hopefully by getting that designation it will create some pride inthe homeowners to take better care of their yards and building exteriors.

I've been in this little house several times over the last couple of weeks. It has tons of potential. Nothing..Nothing has been modified. As RPS stated, the garage is unfortunate. I think they built it that way because the lot is in an unusual position. It's placed between the back of 2 homes, so it is essentially in 2 backyards, but still faces the street. Across the street 2 of the best mods on the Parade of Homes were demolished to build a high school track. Therefore, the front faces the track, but there are no windows in the front so that might not matter. All of the windows face a courtyard (behind the garage which I assume the original owners used as additional auto space since it's cement. The windows facing the courtyard are practically ceiling to floor. To take out the cement in courtyard and landscape that area would be a 100% improvement and would really be the centerpiece of the living area.

I think the unfortunate placement of lot could be mitigated with some cool Mod looking fencing and landscaping.

That's great to hear about the potential for "Historic Designation" for Cayton St. That 'hood really needs it. Talking about the landscaping, you'd be surprised what a good landscaping design can do to a house & yard. (I just had work done, in my own backyard). My old Sunset Landscaping Book (revised ed. 1968) has interesting ideas for odd shaped lots. And the books usually feature mod-style homes.

• 3 weeks later...

The word on the street in Glenbrook is that this little gem will have a happy ending. A young couple that are into mod design apparently have a contract on it. Let's hope they get it ! I'd love to see this house done up !

This kind of rare find is like a paleontologist finding a dinosaur body with all the flesh still on it! Someone must have been an unbelievably good housekeeper to have kept all that so original. Restoration from what I could see of the photos and just walking by should not really be that big a chore. A good cleaning - done as a preservationist rather than an anal wire brush and scouring powder type - to the woodwork and that kitchen would really minimize any refinishing needs. The fundamental elements of this house are so solid - it's almost a gift. I'd love to see the inside and do some detailed photography before any renovation begins.

If I wasn't in the middle of a preservation project on mine, I would buy this in a heartbeat. If the people who buy it ever read this, I would readily volunteer my services in consulting with you to develop a restoration plan, pro bono. There is a certain good feeling to this one, just imagine the years of love that kind of long term care represents.

Keep in mind that an essential core population of this neighborhood did realize their American dream. They married their sweethearts, raised the kids, nurtured the grandkids, paid off mortgages, retired, and worked their way through all the travails of life together. A majority of these were happy homes because the architecture was fresh, imaginative, and stimulated the possible. The elements are all there to continue to do that.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm with the "just clean it up" crowd. A purist's dream....a livable time machine. I really love this house! :)

Sorry to say the contract with the couple that was going to fix this up right fell thru. It's back on the market. Someone please save this little gem !

If I wasn't already up to my ears in mod I would.

Why not?

It's obvious to a historian from glances at the present photos that a great deal of love and care has gone into keeping this little house over the years. As original as the interior appears to be and although the owner aged and could not maintain it recently - it's still a gem. Why doesn't the home owner's association in Glenbrook buy this to preserve it? They can use it as their office as well as a repository for the neighborhood house plans, archives, and a meeting place. Restored it will serve as a neighborhood symbol and used by realtorsx and politicos to show where the neighborhood came from and what it could be. Scouts and garden clubs could gather there and volunteers maintain it. Workshops for new owners interested in preservation skill learning and basic "how to take care of your home" training. Maybe the newly organizing Hobby Area Chambers and Improvement people could use it as an office (tucked in a bedroom)?

It's across the street from a school and the expenses are very affordable for any of these applications. Grants could be pursued to reimburse acquisition, restoration, and establish it as a historic building. The HOA could also simply acquire it, restore it to neighborhood standards, and sell it to recover their cost and have something they all want to live beside as well.

I also speak from experience of a sort. While on the Board of Directors of our HOA, we bought a unit and did just this. Keep in mind that HOA money is not "spent" but simply parked in an asset. If your neighbors want to restore Glenbrook to prominence and protect all their existing investments - get directly involved and do it. They are all runnming the risk of having this snapped up and badly done or torn down to build whatever. In all these risks, what you have with all it's tarbnished, but polishable charm - will be irrevocably lost.

Here's an even crazier but good idea. RDA/Cite should buy this house and have Rice Students restore it and publish the results in Cite. Now there's a full circle moment for you. RDA is very much into the small, efficient, green house and something tells me they could afford it and write off any losses that doing this kind of thing might present.

Maybe Houston Mod will someday be able to do something like that, but not yet.

Why not?

It's obvious to a historian from glances at the present photos that a great deal of love and care has gone into keeping this little house over the years. As original as the interior appears to be and although the owner aged and could not maintain it recently - it's still a gem. Why doesn't the home owner's association in Glenbrook buy this to preserve it? They can use it as their office as well as a repository for the neighborhood house plans, archives, and a meeting place. Restored it will serve as a neighborhood symbol and used by realtorsx and politicos to show where the neighborhood came from and what it could be. Scouts and garden clubs could gather there and volunteers maintain it. Workshops for new owners interested in preservation skill learning and basic "how to take care of your home" training. Maybe the newly organizing Hobby Area Chambers and Improvement people could use it as an office (tucked in a bedroom)?

It's across the street from a school and the expenses are very affordable for any of these applications. Grants could be pursued to reimburse acquisition, restoration, and establish it as a historic building. The HOA could also simply acquire it, restore it to neighborhood standards, and sell it to recover their cost and have something they all want to live beside as well.

I also speak from experience of a sort. While on the Board of Directors of our HOA, we bought a unit and did just this. Keep in mind that HOA money is not "spent" but simply parked in an asset. If your neighbors want to restore Glenbrook to prominence and protect all their existing investments - get directly involved and do it. They are all runnming the risk of having this snapped up and badly done or torn down to build whatever. In all these risks, what you have with all it's tarbnished, but polishable charm - will be irrevocably lost.

Great idea and it would be wonderful. But Glenbrook doesn't have an HOA, only a civic club. The and whopping $25 annual dues are voluntary. There just aren't the funds for the civic club to take this on. But I hear there are a few folks interested in this great house who will do right by it. Hopefully one of those will work out soon.

• 1 month later...

hi all.

my SO and i will hopefully close on this property at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. both of us have a love and a healthy respect for MCM and have already hopefully taken some steps towards seeing it restored/remodeled. we're both first home owners so this is a new and really exciting opportunity for us.

i've already scheduled a meeting with the houston historical commission for landmark status and hopefully that will go through. i would really like to thank user rps324 and his help with everything. if it wasn't for his patience and repeated showings of the house, we would have never gotten into it.

thanks.

aj & j.

hi all.

my SO and i will hopefully close on this property at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. both of us have a love and a healthy respect for MCM and have already hopefully taken some steps towards seeing it restored/remodeled. we're both first home owners so this is a new and really exciting opportunity for us.

i've already scheduled a meeting with the houston historical commission for landmark status and hopefully that will go through. i would really like to thank user rps324 and his help with everything. if it wasn't for his patience and repeated showings of the house, we would have never gotten into it.

thanks.

aj & j.

Good Luck, good to see so many people appreciating a neighborhood I grew up idolizing! The 'hood really does have some awesome homes. I have a feeling it's on it's way up. Sounds like rps is working hard these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Folks! What I did today was clean the masterbath and master bedroom. Swept and mopped the floors. Also the living room carpet is gone. Lookin'

good and these photos are from my blackberry. I should bring my digital camera so you guys can enjoy the photos a little more. I also have flickr and

please go there for the photos and after as of today. :)

Link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmtworld/

Hello Folks! What I did today was clean the masterbath and master bedroom. Swept and mopped the floors. Also the living room carpet is gone. Lookin'

good and these photos are from my blackberry. I should bring my digital camera so you guys can enjoy the photos a little more. I also have flickr and

please go there for the photos and after as of today. :)

Link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmtworld/

Wow yall got alot done this weekend! Looking good.

Thanks for the pictures! Keep them coming. You will want all the pictures you can get when you go for the Good Brick Award, and you definitely should.

Jason

Plus, you'll want to hire me to shoot a bunch of new pictures for the presentation! :D

I was allowed to go by and look over this jewel yesterday afternoon. The guys were great and seem to be off on an interesting adventure to make this their home. This is an absolutely amazing time capsule. It appears that an original owner lived her entire adult life here as a single mom raising a troubled child. The interior elements are all still in place right down to the Talk-A-Radio intercom/house radio system, electric stove top, and accordion doors. The entry is terrazzo tile. Great design and a serious human interest back story - what else could one want!

These guys do have a pretty steep hill to climb getting it back in shape, but they seem to be embracing this challenge. I know from long experience that heavy restoration and remodeling efforts are fraught with many things that jump up and surprise everyone. These surprises make budgeting and schedule practically impossible to maintain as tight a control on as all expect. These efforts also put severe strain on the best relationships and friendships along the way. I've even had clients divorce and several seperate, and almost all quarrel during these projects! It's like the old story of remembering it's hard to drain the swamp when you're up to your wallet in alligators.

In talking with the guys, they seem to value planning and have a pretty good one going. With almost 25 years of project management experience, I know how to appreciate a good plan. When one first looks at a project like this it's very easy to be overwhelmed. Where to start?, What to do? The pressure of needing to "do" something right away is a very real one. They seemed to take a step back and start seeing what they had and prioritizing - a very good thing. And effectively drawing upon the collective experiences of groups like this are a tremendous help.

I'm kinda excited to see how this one progresses.

post-6473-1226333101.jpg

Archived