Best Views In Houston

The pictures that Bengiann posted (especially of Chase Tower) got me thinking...what is your favorite view of the city? Specifically from up high, where you can see for miles, but any old favorite view will do. :)

My first favorite view is from the observation deck on the 60th floor of Chase (aka Texas Commerce) Tower. It's only open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, but it's free and it offers amazing views of the city.

My second favorite view is on the other end of downtown, from the balcony of The 43nd, a restaurant on the 43nd floor of the Wedge Tower. The restaurant itself is decidedly moo, but the view is totally worth the trip (just get a drink or two from the bar; forget about getting food there). Best part? It's a totally open-air balcony, so you can step outside and let the winds rip through your hair as you check out the city below. It's awesome. :D

How 'bout y'all?

One of my favorites is the skylobby facing southeast on the 57th & 58th floors of Wells Fargo Plaza. It's a lesser seen look at the city, and there's just something about seeing the structural bracing stretching across both of the floors. It's a shame they've been iffy about cameras in the past, though.

When driving, the northbound ramp from the west Loop (eastbound) to SH 288 allows an impressive view of the expanse of the city's various skylines.

Even better in my opinion is the eastbound Westpark Tollway connector to 59. It gives a great panorama encompassing Reliant/Astrodome, Med Center, Downtown, Greenway Plaza, Uptown/Galleria, and even into Memorial (you can see the big church towers on San Fillipe). I haven't seen a better view of Houston.

Second best in my opinion is the view of downtown/Med Center/Reliant/Astrodome from 288 northbound...can't remember where, maybe around the 610 exits?

The best view I've ever had of the city was from the top of the coffee storage silos at what used to be the Maxwell House plant on the East side. I had to go to the top a couple of times in the early 80's for work. Great views, as it's pretty much the tallest structure on that side of town except for the San Jacnto Monument.

Second best in my opinion is the view of downtown/Med Center/Reliant/Astrodome from 288 northbound...can't remember where, maybe around the 610 exits?

I think it's best from the Airport Road overpass, personally, but yes, this is my 2nd favorite, too.

The best IMO is from the top of the East 610 Loop bridge over the Ship Channel on a clear day. You can catch inner loop waterfront, large ships, variouis rail yards, UH, Downtown, the Medical Center, the Museum District, and the Galleria area, all from one glance. And turn your head 180 degrees to glimpse the awesomeness that is the Houston Ship Channel industrial complex.

The view from the last row in the upper eastside deck at Rice Stadium on a clear day. Can see the skylines from Westhcase, Uptown, Upper Kirby, and Downtown. Then turn around and see the TMC.

Also, on a beautiful day in winter (clear and crisp), the view from the top of Terminal C's parking garage is pretty nifty.

The view from the last row in the upper eastside deck at Rice Stadium on a clear day. Can see the skylines from Westhcase, Uptown, Upper Kirby, and Downtown. Then turn around and see the TMC.

Also, on a beautiful day in winter (clear and crisp), the view from the top of Terminal C's parking garage is pretty nifty.

Similar to this is the view from the club level deck on the north side of Reliant Stadium. Very nice view of downtown through Westchase from there.

The pictures that Bengiann posted (especially of Chase Tower) got me thinking...what is your favorite view of the city? Specifically from up high, where you can see for miles, but any old favorite view will do. :)

My first favorite view is from the observation deck on the 60th floor of Chase (aka Texas Commerce) Tower. It's only open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, but it's free and it offers amazing views of the city.

My second favorite view is on the other end of downtown, from the balcony of The 43nd, a restaurant on the 43nd floor of the Wedge Tower. The restaurant itself is decidedly moo, but the view is totally worth the trip (just get a drink or two from the bar; forget about getting food there). Best part? It's a totally open-air balcony, so you can step outside and let the winds rip through your hair as you check out the city below. It's awesome. :D

How 'bout y'all?

The view from Scott Gertner's Skybar is awesome.

You know, I've lived here for 27 years and still never managed to make it up there. One of these days... :rolleyes:

Do it. They have a free buffet at happy hour. You can sit outside and watch the sun set behind the Transco(Williams) Tower. On the inside, the stage is in the northeast corner, with downtown right behind it. I agree, this has the best view that I've seen in Houston and I've been around here for 30 years.

Years ago, when it was Cody's we went up there to see the various fireworks (probably the 4th of July). You could see the shows in downtown, Hermann Park and even Clear Lake and Sharpstown.

One of the best views I have seen from up high was when I closed on my current home... the closing was in an office near the top floor of San Felipe Plaza in the Galleria... facing Downtown... WOW! You could see ALL of Houston!

From the ground I just love the view of Downtown you get heading eastbound on West Dallas east of Waugh. I always turn down that street when I go to my friend's place in Montrose from the Heights... Wells Fargo looks amazing.

Okay, I know this is gonna sound weird, but I like the view of the city from the humps on S. 610 (like around Stella Link or maybe even S. Main).

I also like the view of the city from the top of the bridge bringing you from 59S onto BW 8. Great view, but dangerous to do anything more than a quick view of the cityscape before bringing eyes back to hairpin (one lane and TALL) overpass.

Yikes.

From the ground I just love the view of Downtown you get heading eastbound on West Dallas east of Waugh. I always turn down that street when I go to my friend's place in Montrose from the Heights... Wells Fargo looks amazing.

I drive home that way sometimes from the office, and I have the exact same feeling. I love it!

It's cool being at The AIG. The drive down allen pkwy is great, both ways. I actually have a scenic commute! Plus my office overlooks the dandelion (gus wortham) fountain, and i get to watch the dogs play in it.

You know, I've lived here for 27 years and still never managed to make it up there. One of these days... :rolleyes:

Oh, that place brings back memories. It was called Cody's and was one of the best places to go in the 70's,

When I was a student at UST, a bunch of us guys went there on the openning weekend of hunting season. The place was packed with women just looking for college guys that didn't hunt. Well, we were on the hunt of course.........and the view was great too.....even back then.

It has been too long since I played there, but Hermann Park golf course, I don't know what hole (front 9 I think between 6-8?), from the tee box there is a perfect view of downtown, with the park right there all around you. We used to stop and enjoy for a bit if time permitted.

I drive home that way sometimes from the office, and I have the exact same feeling. I love it!

It's cool being at The AIG. The drive down allen pkwy is great, both ways. I actually have a scenic commute! Plus my office overlooks the dandelion (gus wortham) fountain, and i get to watch the dogs play in it.

Kewl... AIG is a nice building. Yea Allen Pkwy is really nice too... but driving down West Dallas towards Downtown makes Downtown look so amazing... for some reason it just makes the buildings look taller and more dominating (that might be a weird word to describe it but that's what came to my mind ha ha ha). I especially love how Wells Fargo looks (and I normally don't care much for that building) and how Downtown is angled and how all of the buildings are bunched together... just looks awsome. :wub:

Even better in my opinion is the eastbound Westpark Tollway connector to 59. It gives a great panorama encompassing Reliant/Astrodome, Med Center, Downtown, Greenway Plaza, Uptown/Galleria, and even into Memorial (you can see the big church towers on San Fillipe). I haven't seen a better view of Houston.

easily the best view i've come across... our city looks massive with towers everywhere. very unique and cool view.

One of my favorite views is from the grove. I love seeing the park then all the towers in the back ground with all the new development. I aslo like the view from the ship channel bridge. And coming in on 288 from pearland. You can see the three main skylines from one huge one.

One of my favorite views is from the grove. I love seeing the park then all the towers in the back ground with all the new development. I aslo like the view from the ship channel bridge. And coming in on 288 from pearland. You can see the three main skylines from one huge one.

I've been meaning to try The Grove... seems like a great place.

Really? I will find my way there next Sunday and check it out.

This is going to sound strange, but I always liked the nighttime view driving down 59 at night from Fountainview out to the beltway. Miles of sprawl and strip centers, but it is kind of cool in its own way when it is all lit up.

easily the best view i've come across... our city looks massive with towers everywhere. very unique and cool view.

I've searched for the best views of Houston for a while, and the best that I've seen is from the 610 South exit ramp onto 288 North.

It's elevated and the Med Center, Uptown, Greenway, Allen Parkway, and Downtown skylines all mesh together to make one awesome urban skyline. If I had a camera and knew how to take good pictures, I would park and sneak up onto the ramp to take some pictures one day. That view captures Houston better than any I've seen yet.

Archived