KPRC goes HD

Don't forget -- if it's a YouTube video, you can embed it directly in your message. Just click the "Insert: YouTube" button in the "Insert Special Item" drop-down menu.

I haven't seen KPRC since 2002. They really have toned things down a lot. It's much more watchable. They do need a new set, though. It looks a little like the front porch of a ranch house. Is that a faux stone column between the anchor desk and the weather pod?

Don't forget -- if it's a YouTube video, you can embed it directly in your message. Just click the "Insert: YouTube" button in the "Insert Special Item" drop-down menu.

I haven't seen KPRC since 2002. They really have toned things down a lot. It's much more watchable. They do need a new set, though. It looks a little like the front porch of a ranch house. Is that a faux stone column between the anchor desk and the weather pod?

yeah i don't really watch them either i just heard they went HD. and they just got the set i believe in 06, i don't like it though.

hopefully goign HD will change KPRC to a way more watchable station, one without props in every report.

Yeah, Today I wanted to watch some news at 5 and ABC 13 came on at 5:30, so I flipped down and noticed that KPRC did finally go to HD. I didn't know today was the first day though. They don't really need a new set, Their's is fairly new and really nice, not a ABC 13 set but nice. I have noticed that every station debuts something new on weekend newscast. KHOU debuted in HD Super Bowl night. KTRK debuted their new set on a Saturday. KPRC debuted in HD Sunday. What's with weekends?

Yeah, Today I wanted to watch some news at 5 and ABC 13 came on at 5:30, so I flipped down and noticed that KPRC did finally go to HD. I didn't know today was the first day though. They don't really need a new set, Their's is fairly new and really nice, not a ABC 13 set but nice. I have noticed that every station debuts something new on weekend newscast. KHOU debuted in HD Super Bowl night. KTRK debuted their new set on a Saturday. KPRC debuted in HD Sunday. What's with weekends?

the reason why they debut their sets,graphics,hd on weekends is because they like to test it out to see if it will work and how good it looks, rather than on weekdays when more people watch and try to fix it before the weekday debut.

simply-less people watch weekends, so they test it out and see if their are any flaws and fix it before the weekday

the reason why they debut their sets,graphics,hd on weekends is because they like to test it out to see if it will work and how good it looks, rather than on weekdays when more people watch and try to fix it before the weekday debut.

simply-less people watch weekends, so they test it out and see if their are any flaws and fix it before the weekday

That makes alot of sense, I didn't think about it that way.

I wonder will ABC 13 get a new HD open or Talent Tag like ABC 7 Chicago? They also have really great graphics, even though no one beats our ABC Station.

I wonder will ABC 13 get a new HD open or Talent Tag like ABC 7 Chicago? They also have really great graphics, even though no one beats our ABC Station.

oh wls-tv got new opens when they went HD.

and did you say no one is better than are abc station meaning in houston, or abc7 in chicago.

because i live here in houston and no one is better than channel 13. ha lol.

No, they were updated just last year... a couple of months before WLS, actually. Plus the same graphics firm designed both.

http://www.hothauscreative.com/pages/news.html

Also, thanks for linking to my clip. I don't mind the traffic ;)

Well, you're almost correct. Yes, it is true that the people who make those decisions believe in their hearts that weekends are the least watched days. And yes, that is why the weekend is chosen to debut new features -- to work out the bugs before the big weekday debuts.

BUT -- the numbers show that Sunday night is the most watched night for local television news (people are catching up and getting mentally ready for the new work week ahead). Friday and Saturday are the least watched (people are out doing things). But thinking that fewer people watch on the weekend is engrained in the 9-5 Monday-Friday types (news directors, general managers, etc...) who make those decisions.

oh wls-tv got new opens when they went HD.

Not really new opens. They're pretty much identical to the old ones, just widescreen and shiny and with updated building shots. Otherwise the look and graphics were exactly the same.

My kid woke up earlier than usual this morning and I managed to catch the newscast - they're doing the news in a really over-processed 1080i and the picture is quite grainy. Still better than the SD picture, but I think it would look better if they scaled it back a bit to 720p and eliminated some of the speckle.

In my opinion, Channel 11 news still has the best quality HD picture, esp the radar and some of the shots from the top of their tower near downtown.

My kid woke up earlier than usual this morning and I managed to catch the newscast - they're doing the news in a really over-processed 1080i and the picture is quite grainy. Still better than the SD picture, but I think it would look better if they scaled it back a bit to 720p and eliminated some of the speckle.

In my opinion, Channel 11 news still has the best quality HD picture, esp the radar and some of the shots from the top of their tower near downtown.

Give them a couple of weeks to work out the kinks. There are probably a lot more urgent problems behind the scenes that they have to work out first and then the engineers will go after the final picture quality. If it still looks bad in a couple of weeks then you can assume someone in a position of power likes it that way.

Well, you're almost correct. Yes, it is true that the people who make those decisions believe in their hearts that weekends are the least watched days. And yes, that is why the weekend is chosen to debut new features -- to work out the bugs before the big weekday debuts.

BUT -- the numbers show that Sunday night is the most watched night for local television news (people are catching up and getting mentally ready for the new work week ahead). Friday and Saturday are the least watched (people are out doing things). But thinking that fewer people watch on the weekend is engrained in the 9-5 Monday-Friday types (news directors, general managers, etc...) who make those decisions.

Not really new opens. They're pretty much identical to the old ones, just widescreen and shiny and with updated building shots. Otherwise the look and graphics were exactly the same.

oh that makes since too, thanks.

I know this may be a little off topic from the topic, but does anyone know how to use either Premire Pro, Final Cut Pro or Photoshop to make video clips using and editing with graphic clips?

I don't know if anyone noticed, but speaking of Talent Tags and Opens, As of yesterday ABC 13 has slightly changed their Talent Tags. They've added a very small graphic before the big ABC 13 logo comes from the bottom of the screen. They also changed all of them to say Meterorologist in front of the meteorologist names instead of just their names. Just small changes I noticed.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but speaking of Talent Tags and Opens, As of yesterday ABC 13 has slightly changed their Talent Tags. They've added a very small graphic before the big ABC 13 logo comes from the bottom of the screen. They also changed all of them to say Meterorologist in front of the meteorologist names instead of just their names. Just small changes I noticed.

i just saw the 4pm talent bumper and i noticed it it actually looks neat and makes it look more high class.

Archived