How much do you spend monthly on gas?

editor

Monthly fuel bill  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on gas each month?

• Zero-$49
    • $50-$99
    • $100-199
    • $200-$299
    • $300-$399
    • $400-$499
    • $500-$749
    • $750-$999
    • $1000+

I'm caching up on some reading this weekend and I'm stunned to see how much some people spend on fuel for their cars/trucks. One article said the AVERAGE person in California's Inland Empire (near L.A. I had to look it up) spends $1,300-$1,500 per month on fuel.

I thought maybe the article was unique or wrong or something. Then a little later I read an article on Bloomberg that has a blurb mentioning some guy spends $600/month to commute (gas and tolls) from Clear Lake to the western part of town.

I had no idea it cost that much. Pick a range on the poll above so I can see if I'm as out of touch as I fear.

Slightly related -- I just ran across this commuting calculator that shows how much each trip to and from work costs you.

Depends on if you mean me or the entire household. I voted for entire household. With family in Baton Rouge, months where we go visit them are a slight spike. Anywhere from $300 to $500 range is where we've been hitting. Commute is 45 miles round trip, every other Friday off, and I carpool with someone most days. That has been great.

I commute 48 miles round trip. My wife works part time out of the house, but still drives around a decent amount (and there's a trip to Lafayette about once a month also). So for the household, our gasoline runs about $300-$350 monthly.

I fill up once every 3 weeks and last time it was about $37. That typically includes one trip to Katy and all the rest is ITL.

What are you driving with such a tiny tank? Even our little Mazda is costing us $50+ to fill. Probably once every 2 weeks, so $100/month.

edited because corrected by spouse...

What are you driving with such a tiny tank? Even our little Mazda is costing us $50+ to fill. Probably once every 2 weeks, so $100/month.

I guess it's an 11 gallon tank. A Scion xb. I don't run it completely dry; I get usually just under 10 gallons in when I fill up.

More companies need to let their employees work from home for those jobs where it makes sense. I've been working from home for several years, and I find I'm more productive, especially when I'm really busy. So my monthly gas expenditure is around $60.

What I really can't wait for is a better supply of alternative fuel vehicles. I'm not a fan of the Toyota Prius look, but I hope to find a 50+ MPG vehicle for my next car, probably in a couple of years. If they Chevy Volt lives up to the hype (up to 150 MPG), I will probably be in line to buy.

I guess it's an 11 gallon tank. A Scion xb. I don't run it completely dry; I get usually just under 10 gallons in when I fill up.

Oh, that's pretty good. My husband likes the Scions; we were looking at one last year but ultimately didn't purchase a new car.

That commuting calculator is cool. Thanks for posting it. Heck. I'm spending more money a month then I thought. I have a 36 mile commute myself and only get 16 mpg. Comes to $166 a month and that's just for my truck. Doesn't count the rest of the family. That really blows.

The calculator estimates that with 3.5 miles round trip, I spend about $13/month on gas to get to and from work...

It's the non-work driving that kills it for me, but I am making an effort to walk/rail/carpool whenever possible.

Archived