Travis Center: 2900 Travis St.

midtownuser

• 2 weeks later...
I ate here on Friday and it was fantastic!

The ambiance is really cool. It was much trendier on the inside than I expected. Prices were really reasonable and you get 25% off the bill at Happy Hour! I have a new Happy Hour spot.

Thanks for the great compliments!

And I can't believe we're finally open! lol

We've been open for 3 weeks now!!

And we've been doing pretty good. I just want to thank you guys for all your support

and please don't hesitate to swing by, grab some food and drinks and say hi!

Here's our hours if you decide to come:

Lunch - 11am to 2:30pm (No Lunch Sat/Sun)

Dinner - 5pm to 10pm

After Hours - Fri/Sat til 4am

Happy Hour Daily (25% off Full Bar, Sushi Bar, Full Menu Excluding Entrees) - 5pm to 7pm and All Day Sunday 5pm to 10pm!

Again, Thanks for everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to try this place out today...didn't quite work out because they had no high chairs. The staff didn't seem to know if that was on purpose or if they just didn't have any yet, but I'd like to know.

It looked pretty cool inside, very trendy. Maybe a few babies here and there would kill the trendy vibe or something. Ended up going to Tomo, which was ok but not as good as it was last time we went.

Went to try this place out today...didn't quite work out because they had no high chairs. The staff didn't seem to know if that was on purpose or if they just didn't have any yet, but I'd like to know.

It looked pretty cool inside, very trendy. Maybe a few babies here and there would kill the trendy vibe or something. Ended up going to Tomo, which was ok but not as good as it was last time we went.

Being a parent myself, I was under the impression eateries were required to have high chairs much the same way they had to have handicap access (or whatever the current PC term is). Hrm...

I think I will try out this place tomorrow. Wifey loves sushi. :)

Edited by LTAWACS

Hi! I completely apologize for this mishap. I remember when you guys came in. We had ordered high-chairs from our restaurant supplier but still have not received them. The staff was not aware of our situation. So their was some confusion when you guys came. I take full blame that this happened. We haven't had requests for high chairs since we've been open so it never became an immediate concern for us. But I misjudged it. I will be sure to try our best to accomodate you guys and anyone with children next time. Please accept my apologies and come by again. Ask for John and I will take care of you!

Hi! I completely apologize for this mishap. I remember when you guys came in. We had ordered high-chairs from our restaurant supplier but still have not received them. The staff was not aware of our situation. So their was some confusion when you guys came. I take full blame that this happened. We haven't had requests for high chairs since we've been open so it never became an immediate concern for us. But I misjudged it. I will be sure to try our best to accomodate you guys and anyone with children next time. Please accept my apologies and come by again. Ask for John and I will take care of you!

No worries, I figured it was just a startup thing you're working through. We definitely want to try the place - any idea when the high chairs will arrive? I think we'll just call ahead next time to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey! We should have them in by tomorrow!

Went there tonight and it was great. Awesome food and the place looks excellent. my only question is why the large restroom "lobby"? Looks like you could squeeze a couple more tables in a cramp that space down. unless there are plans for storage or something. Not really a big deal, I thought everything was fantastic.

My wife and I considered dining here last Friday night. It was about 10 at night and the parking lot was basically empty. However, every single space was blocked off with orange cones for the valets. Ridiculous. Valets should not be allowed to block off spaces right in front of a restaurant. If that is the case, you're basically charging for parking. Go on, just admit it.

If parking is really a problem for Crave, they need to acquire off-site parking, and have the valets earn their tips by going back and forth instead of just camping out right in front of the restaurant.

And no, this is not just about a couple of bucks. I don't want a valet driving my car if I can avoid it. I feel like I need to lock up my radar detector and my iPod before he gets in, and I worry about my laptop in the trunk. Then you always wonder how carefully he's parking your car and the cars next to it if he's in a rush.

There's also the idea that I'm paying someone for a convenience that is not really a convenience at all. If the valets just park my car in one of the spaces they've blocked off right out front, I guarantee it takes me more time to hand my car off to the valet and tip him than it would for me to simply pull into the space myself.

Above all, seeing every single space blocked off sends an unfriendly message to potential customers. Would Crave put orange cones in front of its doors and not allow anyone in unless they tipped a doorman first? The effect of blocking off all of the parking spaces is just the same. Sorry, but no Crave Sushi for us until they unblock their parking lot.

I have similar sentiments as Furious about valet parking (I don't partake) and the sight of cones right in front of a restaurant seems like a big turn-off..

I also hate valet parking and never do it out of principle. It's so completely unnecessary when they take your car and drive it 15 feet to a spot. Thanks, I really needed your help for that. There was no valet when we went at 6:30, does it do that later because the lot is shared with a club or something? Or is this just the following of an idiotic trend in Houston?

I actually drove into the parking lot with the intent of eating there; parked my car in a spot that didnt have a yellow cone, valet guy came out and told me I had to valet. I drove off. There is no reason why I have valet my car when every parking spot was empty, I wasn't going to park across the street.

• 2 weeks later...
Screw them and their Valet Only Parking Policy!

Make the drive over to Sasaki.....it's worth it. Wesrhiemer at Fondren

Hello Everyone,

I see that valet parking seems to be an issue with people on the forum here and others who have visited us as well.

And I deeply deeply apologize for this.

We currently have valet in place only on Friday nights and Saturdays nights. It is complimentary before 10pm.

After 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays, It is $5 for Crave Guests and $15 for the Club Crowd.

The reason why we have this in place is to control the club crowd surrounding us.

If we had no valet at all controlling who can park for $5 and who parks for $15, the club crowd would take over and therefore their would be no parking for Crave patrons at all until who knows when.

And If it were free valet for Crave patrons, Someone could very easily say their going into Crave around that time, walk out the side door and go elsewhere until 3 in the morning which would end up being a wasted space an actual Crave patron could of had.

Please understand that parking is a huge problem in midtown around that time. And we are extrememly limited with only 20 spaces.

This is the only viable solution we have currently.

But we are willing to do things to improve it for our guests. So we are willing take suggestions in to making this situation better.

Please forward any suggestions to me at: john@wecravesushi.com

Thank you!

When are yall gonna get a proper sign?

I tryed Crave a couple monthes ago, it was good, my wife liked the cayenne pepper on the edamame. If we'rte ever out and about in the wee we'll stop by again.

Parking is a problem all over midtown and valet parking tends to exacerbate the problem imo.

I have a mailbox at the UPS off McGowen and it's simply a hassle when all the available parking is coned and all the street parking is taken.

so why are you providing parking for OTHER businesses if you care so much about your own clientele? $$$

Hi Musicman,

To answer your question, we have to rely on the fact they are coming back to eat at our place after 2am considering we stay open til 4am those nights. At $15 for the Club clientele is a value for them considering our prime parking location. And for the club-goers to park elsewhere, doesn't provide us with much exposure. And it also hints at the club-goers to actually pay even less if they decide to eat at our place right then or the next time they park in our lot. Club-Goers are potential Crave clients as well. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Edited by CraveSushi

When are yall gonna get a proper sign?

I tryed Crave a couple monthes ago, it was good, my wife liked the cayenne pepper on the edamame. If we'rte ever out and about in the wee we'll stop by again.

Parking is a problem all over midtown and valet parking tends to exacerbate the problem imo.

I have a mailbox at the UPS off McGowen and it's simply a hassle when all the available parking is coned and all the street parking is taken.

Hi infinite jim,

We won't have proper signage until the exterior/fascia of the building is renovated to modernize the building.

The renovation process is out of our control. It is in the control of our land-lord.

Once this is done, which we hope is in the near future, we will have proper signage.

Valet has its advantages and disadvantages. We will try our best to make the situation better for everyone.

It is just real hard for us inside to know who's coming to Crave and who's not. And we just don't want having 20 tow trucks in our lot trying to tow everyone not coming to Crave either.

So valet almost seems to be a must.

Btw, Thank you for stopping by our restaurant and the good remarks! I hope we'll see you again!

Hi Musicman,

To answer your question, we have to rely on the fact they are coming back to eat at our place after 2am considering we stay open til 4am those nights.

and you're ignoring the fact that you've already received customer complaints regarding the valet parking. guess the club kids who pay $15 are "better" customers.

and you're ignoring the fact that you've already received customer complaints regarding the valet parking. guess the club kids who pay $15 are "better" customers.

Hi Musicman,

We have not ignored any customer complaints on site. Every parking issue there has been resolved by me personally.

I have personally paid out of my own pocket, not Crave's pocket, for customers parking in the past and recently.

And no one is better than the other. I'm sorry if you feel that way, but our intentions are not to make any person better than the other.

If you have dined here, you would know that we treat everyone with the upmost respect regardless of anything.

The solution we have now has had minimal complaints.

And minimizing this situation is all we feel we can do for the time being until something better arises.

Without valet around 10pm to 2am on Friday or Saturday, Crave customers will have "zero" parking.

Please forward me any suggestions you may have to help with this issue.

john@wecravesushi.com

Thank you!

I think Crave rocks! I have eaten there a few times and the valet situation has never been a problem. If you have a problem paying $5 to park and you are there during valet hours then find a spot on the street. You are in a big city! If you were in any other of the top 5 largest cities in the U.S. you'd pay a hell of a lot more to park.

If you live in Midtown just walk there. It's healthy and better for the environment.