Female opinions needed...

ricco67

Someone you've "been seeing" implies that this is a rather casual relationship, even if it's been two years running. Are you "seeing" her or dating her? Is she your girlfriend or not?

Because if not, then giving a piece of diamond jewelry that is (somewhat) heart-shaped is going to send the message that you want it to be more than a casual relationship. If you're aware of this and this is the message you want to send, go right ahead. If this isn't what you were looking to express, then you might want to look for a more casual gift to go along with your casual relationship.

You don't just give diamond jewerly to someone you like. Know what I'm sayin?

Someone you've "been seeing" implies that this is a rather casual relationship, even if it's been two years running. Are you "seeing" her or dating her? Is she your girlfriend or not?

Because if not, then giving a piece of diamond jewelry that is (somewhat) heart-shaped is going to send the message that you want it to be more than a casual relationship. If you're aware of this and this is the message you want to send, go right ahead. If this isn't what you were looking to express, then you might want to look for a more casual gift to go along with your casual relationship.

You don't just give diamond jewerly to someone you like. Know what I'm sayin?

LOL.

I hand out jewelry quite often. Birthdays, accomplishments, etc. (I don't like flowers).

perhaps this one is better?

172047502_MV_PD.jpg

My, aren't you generous? My birthday is coming up in November... :lol:

Okay, so that one above? Lighter on the diamonds, but still with the heart motif. Eh. :unsure:

What about something a bit more generic? I know that sounds like a terrible word to describe jewelry, but you know what I mean...

ETA: Something like this Atlas pendant. I'm by no means suggesting a present from Tiffany's, since that would really send a mixed signal, but I'm saying something that's timeless and elegant and that doesn't scream, "HEARTS, HEARTS, LOVE!!!"

Okay, so that one above? Lighter on the diamonds, but still with the heart motif. Eh. :unsure:

What about something a bit more generic? I know that sounds like a terrible word to describe jewelry, but you know what I mean...

ETA: Something like this Atlas pendant. I'm by no means suggesting a present from Tiffany's, since that would really send a mixed signal, but I'm saying something that's timeless and elegant and that doesn't scream, "HEARTS, HEARTS, LOVE!!!"

If she was a math teacher, I might be more inclined. No.

Normally I'm an earring kinda' guy, but I want to give her a token, Geez.

to ME the pendants says, "Let your heart always have room to grow" as in...whatever it is. But I saw your point in the first one.

Maybe I'll just hand her a pair of black pearl earrings I have lying around.

You missed the point of the Atlas pendant. I wasn't saying something exactly like that; I was saying something that was non-heart, non-love specific. :rolleyes:

A nicer "token" after two years of seeing her would be to make it official... ;)

Okay, I'm going to stop ragging on you now and see what the other chickies on HAIF have to say. :lol:

If she was a math teacher, I might be more inclined. No.

Normally I'm an earring kinda' guy, but I want to give her a token, Geez.

to ME the pendants says, "Let your heart always have room to grow" as in...whatever it is. But I saw your point in the first one.

Maybe I'll just hand her a pair of black pearl earrings I have lying around.

I had to look at that pendant about 3 times before I figured out it was a heart, but open, or something. I must not have great spatial skills. No offense ricco --I didn't care for either one.

Earrings are good, and definitely less fraught with symbolism. I'm a gold kinda gal. What I think is pretty, and not too Kay Jewelers-y (puffy hearts, etc) is gold filigree earrings. Dangly, but not too bollywood.

A nicer "token" after two years of seeing her would be to make it official... ;)

Official, like he stops seeing his other girlfriends? :P Wonder if there are greeting cards for that.

I agree... as my grandmother said when inspecting a piece of jewelry given to me, "Oh, he is SERIOUS about you!" Diamonds and hearts say love, love, love. So if that's what you want to say, go with it. If you want to be a little more vague, no hearts, no diamonds; just something beautiful that says "quality" "taste" and "elegance" without saying "love love love!!!!!" (or even, "love marriage babies!!!" which is how some women might read a diamond heart necklace!) :lol:

Don't worry about what a piece "says." It's what you say that matters.

Just buy a quality piece of jewelry. You can get something from Tiffany for under $200. Single guys and off-brand jewelry salesmen will tell you that brands don't matter, but that's simply not true. If you're in it for the long haul, it matters. How often do you see "I.W. Marks" jewelry on Antiques Roadshow? If you answered "never" -- you win!

Also, don't buy a diamond unless you know what you're doing. A small high-quality diamond is much better than a big, crappy diamond. I always laugh when I see those commercials on TV where the fast-talking voice-over says "I-SI quality" as if that's a good thing. The "I" means "Imperfect." That's not a good thing. On a scale of 1-6 with 1 being the best, an "I" diamond is a 6. An "SI" is a 5. Both suck. If they were any worse they'd be used in industrial applications.

Just get something in gold or silver. The first diamond you get her should be an engagement ring. And if you're embarrassed by your budget then shop Tiffany online. I think there are things for $125. Why buy a rip-off imitation from Wal-Mart for $100 when the real thing is only 15% more?

Just checked the Tiffany web site -- there's a lot of stuff for under $100 even. A few pieces are $60.

23429381_l_over.jpg

23579146_M_OVER_1.jpg

And the best part is they're the real thing. You never know what kind of Chinese junk with a fake .925 stamp might be on the shelves at your local megamart. If you get Tiffany (or Cartier, etc...) you're also buying the peace of mind of knowing that it's genuine.

Just get something in gold or silver. The first diamond you get her should be an engagement ring. And if you're embarrassed by your budget then shop Tiffany online. I think there are things for $125. Why buy a rip-off imitation from Wal-Mart for $100 when the real thing is only 15% more?

THIS.

I agree... as my grandmother said when inspecting a piece of jewelry given to me, "Oh, he is SERIOUS about you!" Diamonds and hearts say love, love, love. So if that's what you want to say, go with it. If you want to be a little more vague, no hearts, no diamonds; just something beautiful that says "quality" "taste" and "elegance" without saying "love love love!!!!!" (or even, "love marriage babies!!!" which is how some women might read a diamond heart necklace!) :lol:

And a MILLION TIMES THIS.

Diamonds are for serious, for seriously. :)

Just go for something simple and elegant. No hearts. No diamonds.

I love it. The first two women to reply refer you to Tiffany's and Cartier.

From a left-handed guy's perspective the first one looks like a swan.

From this left-handed guy's perspective, I saw the female form. The bottom heart resembled the bottom, and the top heart resembled breasts.

Perhaps I have been drafting too close to those tractor-trailer mudflaps lately? :blush:

My first thought is, MAKE SURE SHE LIKES HEARTS!!!

Some women, my wife being a perfect example, can't stand anything with a heart on it.

My wife also would kill me if I ever brought home a rose or a carnation. She has a strong dislike for both types of flowers.

Personally, I like to give my wife simple, elegant jewelry that she can wear for decades.

I don't get it. You've been seeing a woman for 2 years, you aren't in love with her, and you want to give her jewelry? What's your angle?

This is exactly what I was wondering...

Maybe he wants to make sure she doesn't leave the stable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he wants to make sure she doesn't leave the stable. :lol::lol::lol:

If that's the case, then it needs to be Cartier, preferably a watch or bracelet. Necklaces just don't lend themselves to jangling in front of less fortunate friends' faces. And rings are for wives.

Girlfriend don't stay in her place for a dangly heart. It's gonna take a statement piece!

Kidding aside, while editor makes a very good point about quality, I wouldn't get silver, not even from Tiffany. Silver is for money clips and engraved pens and cute costume jewelry we women buy for ourselves. Go with gold.

Kidding aside, while editor makes a very good point about quality, I wouldn't get silver, not even from Tiffany. Silver is for money clips and engraved pens and cute costume jewelry we women buy for ourselves. Go with gold.

I disagree. The blue box goes very far, even with silver inside. But I guess I've always been a cheap date. :P

Good lord, I'm gone for a couple of hours....

FINE! I'll just stick with ear rings (I have an "IN" with yurman) and call it a day. I just usually give purses or jewelry, so pendants were just something "out of the box" (so to speak) for me. Personally I HATE Bulgari. I always think of it as expensive costume jewelry.

For you nosey people, this is a shamrock tower. :)

In another life I worked for a jewelry company. Neither pendant looks like anything other than mass-produced, mall store quality jewelry.

I'd stay away from itty-bitty diamonds. At first glance, they look like C-Z.

Something from one of the better-known contemporary designers like David Yurman will be more memorable and hold its value - doesn't matter if it's silver, gold or a combination of the two.

I need an opinion on this piece:

172046106_MV_PD.jpg

Not a female here either, but this looks very much like a woman's top and bottom. This same logo was used for a topless place advertisment & an early playboy letters to the editor in the magazine long time ago.

Just a thought. She may get angry unless she is very broadminded & or has a real great sense of humor.

I see personally invision Jayne Mansfield or M Monroe. "Bottoms up" was the name of the Club! Yes!

In another life I worked for a jewelry company. Neither pendant looks like anything other than mass-produced, mall store quality jewelry.

I'd stay away from itty-bitty diamonds. At first glance, they look like C-Z.

Something from one of the better-known contemporary designers like David Yurman will be more memorable and hold its value - doesn't matter if it's silver, gold or a combination of the two.

Oh, I totally agree. But, and I hate to say this, you spend what you think its worth (puts on bodyarmor).

Not a female here either, but this looks very much like a woman's top and bottom. This same logo was used for a topless place advertisment & an early playboy letters to the editor in the magazine long time ago.

Just a thought. She may get angry unless she is very broadminded & or has a real great sense of humor.

I see personally invision Jayne Mansfield or M Monroe. "Bottoms up" was the name of the Club! Yes!

I never thought about it that way, but now I'm glad I'm just going with earrings. Safe.

For you nosey people, this is a shamrock tower. :)

I'm a nosey person, but I don't think I understand the reference. This relationship commemorates an earlier relationship that was tragically destroyed?

Archived