Stephen F. Austin Senior High School At 1700 Dumble St.

Vertigo58

Oh what the heck, now there is a topic just for Stephen F Austin HS located on Dumble street.

http://www.gcs.k12.in.us/nwhs/images/mustang%20logo.jpg

There is a recent mailing to sign up for a grad directory that will list all graduates dating back to when the school first opened. Need current biographical info for the directory.

Anyone interested can call Toll Free 1 866-783-7609

Kelly J. Hardy

Harris Connect Directory Office

http://www.harrisconnect.com/

Call so you (or family) can be included!

There were a few additonal comments from others that attended Austin on the Jackson Jr High topic. If anyone has any past photos/stories join in! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Oh what the heck, now there is a topic just for Stephen F Austin HS located on Dumble street.

mustang%20logo.jpg

There is a recent mailing to sign up for a grad directory that will list all graduates dating back to when the school first opened. Need current biographical info for the directory.

Kelly J. Hardy

There were a few additonal comments from others that attended Austin on the Jackson Jr High topic. If anyone has any past photos/stories join in! :D

I called them and updated a couple of weeks ago. Also payed my 99 dollars for the book. Hope its better than the last one. Go Mustangs!

I called them and updated a couple of weeks ago. Also payed my 99 dollars for the book. Hope its better than the last one. Go Mustangs!

You should get an email with confirmation. I was a bit leery at first but feel more confident now. Yep, I just got the book but you can also get on disk if preferred. I still have my 76 & 79 books, Yeowee! :D

You should get an email with confirmation. I was a bit leery at first but feel more confident now. Yep, I just got the book but you can also get on disk if preferred. I still have my 76 & 79 books, Yeowee! :D

I ordered my book last week. :D SFA didn't published a yearbook for my senior year, story goes is that some 'effen' thief broke into the safe and stole our hard earned money that was supposed to used to publish it. I was very upset. :angry: But I'm happy now that I finally get to have one.

I ordered my book last week. :D SFA didn't published a yearbook for my senior year, story goes is that some 'effen' thief broke into the safe and stole our hard earned money that was supposed to used to publish it. I was very upset. :angry: But I'm happy now that I finally get to have one.

A tad off topic but whenever I hear of any reunions I get images of that mascot "Stevie" galloping around on the old auditorium stage. I used to crack up when he would emerge out of now where during pep rallies and freak out the unsuspecting crowds of students. It was always a mystery whom was underneath all the garb. Hilarious. :lol:

A tad off topic but whenever I hear of any reunions I get images of that mascot "Stevie" galloping around on the old auditorium stage. I used to crack up when he would emerge out of now where during pep rallies and freak out the unsuspecting crowds of students. It was always a mystery whom was underneath all the garb. Hilarious. :lol:

In 1973 it was Alex Morales as the head and Michael Crawford as the rear. I dated both of them. The horses butt was much more fun. We are still close friends after 35 years.

mustang%20logo.jpg

Kelly J. Hardy

I attended Austin 1959-1962, and I bought the book too. Really enjoyed the discussion of Jackson Junior High last night. We lived on Jefferson at the time (56-59) and I walked to Jackson (as I previously had walked to Cage Elem. 1950-1956).

Someone asked about Brigade last night. You were right, Brigade was disbanded, but they fund scholarships and still meet each February for a luncheon at the Junior League. There was an explanation about disbanding in one of their newsletters--something about changing values and demographic.

I really miss the old East End.

Edited by jwolfe44

I really miss the old East End.

It truly was a city within itself. Like we commented on several EEnd topics, many of the kids I grew up with had parents that owned business's along Telephone Road, went to local churches, ballpark, schools, etc. By the early 80's everyone fled in droves. Keep posting about the good old days! We love it! :P

Hey vertigo, you remember how we weren't suppose to leave campus for lunch? Well, of course a bunch of us still did. We would either end up at Itallian Beef House or a little hole in the wall called Phifers. I think thats how it was spelled. It was located on the end of a little shopping strip not on but near the corner of Telephone and Dumble. Could have the the same strip where Lerners was. They had really good food. It was a tiny place with a counter with stools and booths down one wall.

Hey vertigo, you remember how we weren't suppose to leave campus for lunch? Well, of course a bunch of us still did. We would either end up at Itallian Beef House or a little hole in the wall called Phifers. I think thats how it was spelled. It was located on the end of a little shopping strip not on but near the corner of Telephone and Dumble. Could have the the same strip where Lerners was. They had really good food. It was a tiny place with a counter with stools and booths down one wall.

It's funny how several business's near Austin HS catered to the students. There were very nearby ice cream shops/florists, etc.

Mustang Malt Shop (across the street) had green/white colors and a Mustang kicking in the air on the sign? Pretty sure. Place closed by 1978?

Atchinson's or there is that florist caddy corner and still there to this day! Could buy your sweetheart a corsage and of course Homecoming arrangements too. It was such a big deal for the cheerleaders or other girls to show off around homecoming with all the long ribbons and bells, etc.

Heap-o-Cream Ice Cream Shop on Telephone Rd (next door to Leonard's Dept Store) here is where many kids from all schools would hang out and then there was Frank's Grill too.

Pretty much all along or near Dumble and most of Near EE intersections was like a small town America. Everyone knew and spoke to everyone. :D

It's funny how several business's near Austin HS catered to the students. There were very nearby ice cream shops/florists, etc.

Mustang Malt Shop (across the street) had green/white colors and a Mustang kicking in the air on the sign? Pretty sure. Place closed by 1978?

Atchinson's or there is that florist caddy corner and still there to this day! Could buy your sweetheart a corsage and of course Homecoming arrangements too. It was such a big deal for the cheerleaders or other girls to show off around homecoming with all the long ribbons and bells, etc.

Heap-o-Cream Ice Cream Shop on Telephone Rd (next door to Leonard's Dept Store) here is where many kids from all schools would hang out and then there was Frank's Grill too.

Pretty much all along or near Dumble and most of Near EE intersections was like a small town America. Everyone knew and spoke to everyone. :D

Mustang Malt Shop was closed before I got there in 72. we sat over there on the benches to smoke before school. I was SO cool. lol. They tried to reopen it during 74 but the school made them close it down after a week since we were NOT suppose to go off campus during school hours. I put my order in and paid them before school and they would bring my lunch across the street. After it closed we went back to sneaking off campus.

I do admit that my years at Austin were the best and most fun years ever. My homeroom was just next door to the (then) 3rd floor lunchroom. You could see all the way south to the Gulf frwy from that lunchroom and when the tall windows were open the breeze would pass thru very nicely. I can still hear the sound of everyone walking across that very shiny, waxed wood floor.

Our homeroom teacher was Mrs Spinks who taught homemaking, so we kids always sat at tables with ovens and cooked cakes/desserts near us (torture).

Our lockers were right in the path of all the students going and leaving lunch at all 3 lunch times so were always chatting and cutting up with nearly everyone that passed by. :D Everyday was an event. Maybe thats why I still enjoy being around big crowds. It was a learning experience but I truly miss the fun.

I made it to the last 2 reunions and was floored to see some of my original teacher's & faculty appear at that big (all classes) Austin reunion a few years ago. It was sad to hear of the ones that have passed away but was so cool to see the nice ones that used to urge me to continue my education, crafts & artwork.

I am forever grateful. :blush:

Edited by Vertigo58

What exactly happened to Austin? Can't say it was due to blacks as they never really populated the school..what event caused the school to shift from white to heavily hispanic?

My parents have said alot of times, hispanics were counted as whites in the classroom during integration but what is it like that at Austin?

I do admit that my years at Austin were the best and most fun years ever. My homeroom was just next door to the (then) 3rd floor lunchroom. You could see all the way south to the Gulf frwy from that lunchroom and when the tall windows were open the breeze would pass thru very nicely. I can still hear the sound of everyone walking across that very shiny, waxed wood floor.

Our homeroom teacher was Mrs Spinks who taught homemaking, so we kids always sat at tables with ovens and cooked cakes/desserts near us (torture).

Our lockers were right in the path of all the students going and leaving lunch at all 3 lunch times so were always chatting and cutting up with nearly everyone that passed by. :D Everyday was an event. Maybe thats why I still enjoy being around big crowds. It was a learning experience but I truly miss the fun.

I made it to the last 2 reunions and was floored to see some of my original teacher's & faculty appear at that big (all classes) Austin reunion a few years ago. It was sad to hear of the ones that have passed away but was so cool to see the nice ones that used to urge me to continue my education, crafts & artwork.

I am forever grateful. :blush:

2hs691z.jpg

My homeroom was IN the lunchroom. I had Mrs. Marler for homeroom. Heres a pic of how the lunchroom was painted in 1975. I'm not in it as I was the one taking the pic but my seat was the one right under the big red arrow. I faced the tall windows and remember the view and the breeze quite well. I guess there were about 8 or so classrooms with homeroom in the luchroom.

What exactly happened to Austin? Can't say it was due to blacks as they never really populated the school..what event caused the school to shift from white to heavily hispanic?

My parents have said alot of times, hispanics were counted as whites in the classroom during integration but what is it like that at Austin?

Its mostly hispanic now because most white families moved from the east end in the 70's and 80's. They moved to places like Sagemont or north of town. In the 60's my street had only one hispanic family. By 1975 there were only 3 white families on the street. We moved to Kirkland South in 1975 because my grandmother didnt like the way the neighborhood was "Changing." I personally wanted to stay. I still love my old neighborhood and visit as often as I can.

2poa8id.jpg

Remember the ribbons sold by the cheerleaders and booster club? Yes I still have them.

Yep! Thats the ribbons they wore like on Homecoming ie; football games. I think you could buy them at lunchtime from cheerleaders or at the school bookstore where you bought tickets, etc.

We still have a newspaper article from around 1975 where my big sis was pictured in girls ROTC that year they were voted the best in Houston. They had to go to competitions over at some military recruit place on OST. I remember there was always a helicopter there. Gotta scan those before they vanish.

We were lucky to be able to walk home everyday from Austin for lunch since we lived next to the EE Little League ballpark next door.

Once I got into Distributive Education (DECA) where you only went to school 1/2 day then to work, it was total joy! :D

• 2 months later...

Kelly J. Hardy

Those of you that have not recieved this book should try to contact above number/website. I'm getting impatient. :mellow::)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here is the response I got a few weeks ago:

After completion of research, editing, proofing and printing of each individual listing, your edition will be shipped and is scheduled to reach you in late December 2008.Thank you for your time and participation in the project.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Rebecca Barker

Senior Administrative Assistant

Harris Connect

POB 2910

Chesapeake, VA 23327-2910

T 800.877.6554

F 800.829.4142

customerservice@harrisconnect.com

Web site: www.harrisconnect.com

• 4 weeks later...
Hallelueah!

I finally got mine! This is a very thorough book indeed. :) Me like!

I got mine too. Wish they would have put some pics of Brigade in there or just some older pics period. Its basically the same all the way down to the cover as the book I bought a few years ago. Me Disappointed! :-(

• 2 weeks later...
I got mine too. Wish they would have put some pics of Brigade in there or just some older pics period. Its basically the same all the way down to the cover as the book I bought a few years ago. Me Disappointed! :-(

After giving it another glance I am not too impressed either...rats. :angry: Ironically our 30 yr reunion is coming up, unreal!

• 2 months later...
2hs691z.jpg

My homeroom was IN the lunchroom. I had Mrs. Marler for homeroom. Heres a pic of how the lunchroom was painted in 1975. I'm not in it as I was the one taking the pic but my seat was the one right under the big red arrow. I faced the tall windows and remember the view and the breeze quite well. I guess there were about 8 or so classrooms with homeroom in the luchroom.

Susan...i am new to this site...but I LOVE IT! I am so excited because I must have graduated with you or close to the same year!!! I recognize some of these folks! I graduated in 1975 and grew up in Magnolia Park. I love all your comments because they bring back such fun memories. Austin was way cool and those were some of the best years of my life! I wonder if you are the Susan I remember???

2hs691z.jpg

Susan...i am new to this site...but I LOVE IT! I am so excited because I must have graduated with you or close to the same year!!! I recognize some of these folks! I graduated in 1975 and grew up in Magnolia Park. I love all your comments because they bring back such fun memories. Austin was way cool and those were some of the best years of my life! I wonder if you are the Susan I remember???

If you click on the Mustang's web above some , you can join and find almost everyone!

I'm still tripping that our 30 yr is coming soon....what! No way!Super Fine in 79 was our theme. :blush::D

If you click on the Mustang's web above some , you can join and find almost everyone!

I'm still tripping that our 30 yr is coming soon....what! No way!Super Fine in 79 was our theme. :blush::D

great, I checked it out...too bad more of our class isnt on it yet.thanks Vertigo.