City Of Spring-Klein: Effort To Form City Begins

pestofan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/spr...ws/5891195.html

I have no doubt that they'll get the 10,000 signatures needed, but not sure whether they can overcome all the obstacles to incorporating. IMHO forming a city would be a good thing, there are too many service holes and poorer reaction times in the unincorporated areas that many people are not aware of when they buy their home. Would give the residents better control over their future, and who wants to be eventually sucked into giant and often poorly run Houston?

I have no doubt that they'll get the 10,000 signatures needed, but not sure whether they can overcome all the obstacles to incorporating. IMHO forming a city would be a good thing, there are too many service holes and poorer reaction times in the unincorporated areas that many people are not aware of when they buy their home. Would give the residents better control over their future, and who wants to be eventually sucked into giant and often poorly run Houston?

Excellent.

Nice to see some motion on the issue.

And, the City of Houston will stop that movement dead. If anything, Houston needs to annex the area and get some tax money from all the folks who live out there and work in the city. We don't need Houston to end up like Dallas, surrounded by a bunch of smaler cities and unable to grow. I might think differently if I didn't live inside the Loop.

And, the City of Houston will stop that movement dead. If anything, Houston needs to annex the area and get some tax money from all the folks who live out there and work in the city. We don't need Houston to end up like Dallas, surrounded by a bunch of smaler cities and unable to grow. I might think differently if I didn't live inside the Loop.

I used to live right in the middle of this target area, and I supported annexation by Houston over incorporation then, just as I do now. This is a far different scenario than the Woodlands incorporation. The Woodlands is 30 miles from downtown, and in another county. Some of this area abuts Houston city limits. Aside from the apparent lack of planning by the petitioner, I expect Houston to shoot it down, as well.

I used to live right in the middle of this target area, and I supported annexation by Houston over incorporation then, just as I do now. This is a far different scenario than the Woodlands incorporation. The Woodlands is 30 miles from downtown, and in another county. Some of this area abuts Houston city limits. Aside from the apparent lack of planning by the petitioner, I expect Houston to shoot it down, as well.

I'm really interested in your opinion, Red, as to why annexation would be better for this area than incorporation. Thanks.

I'm really interested in your opinion, Red, as to why annexation would be better for this area than incorporation. Thanks.

I'm getting ready to head for work, so I cannot give a full answer right now. The really, really short answer is that the Houston suburbs cannot survive and thrive without a healthy Houston. Detroit is exhibit #1. I'll go into more detail later, but the main issue for me (and for the City of Houston) is not to get hemmed in by allowing itself to be incorporated into a corner, similar to what Dallas did in the 60s and 70s.

I think this should be no problem. Annexation of unincorporated areas would not be impossible for Houston if Spring-Klein actually became a city. There are so many other unincorporated communities, such as areas in northeast Harris County, like Atascosita, and Dyersdale that are going nowhere. Also, there areas in east Harris County. The name for the city could have been better IMO. Spring-Klein, Texas sounds dumb.

Houston is here to stay.

Spring-Klein could go the way of 1960.

Awesome. I hope this happens. Same with the Katy/Cinco Ranch area.

Besides, Houston has so many other areas it could annex. It's not like it is being hemmed in or anything, nor is Houston going to annex this land in the future.

Awesome. I hope this happens. Same with the Katy/Cinco Ranch area.

Besides, Houston has so many other areas it could annex. It's not like it is being hemmed in or anything, nor is Houston going to annex this land in the future.

If it were not for Houston there would be no Cinco or just about any other unincorporated portion of Harris County.

You can run but you can't hide.

If it were not for Houston there would be no Cinco or just about any other unincorporated portion of Harris County.

Conversely, if it weren't for the Suburbs like Klein, Spring, Cypress, Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Houston wouldn't be as attractive a location for Fortune 500 companies and the like.

The good quality of life and low cost of living that the burbs offers is a big draw for these companies and their employees.

The argument about Dallas getting hemmed in is idiotic. You idiots think a bloated, cookie cutter City Government is the answer? Dallas/FW/Metroplex has flourished and is a larger MSA than Houston. Regionally, it has done just as well if not better at attracting Fortune 500 corporations, etc. I think the Metroplex works better than Houston because of the various municipalities that compete with one another and offer differing solutions and ideas that reflect the values and concerns of their citizens.

I'd like to see every one of the major suburbs incorporate themselves.

If Houston were to allow Spring-Klein to annex, along with Katy and Cinco Ranch (not sure what this means, since Katy already is incorporated), and then Cypress decides they want to incorporate, suddenly Houston would find its fastest growing areas cut off. These things have a way of spiraling out of control. For that reason, Houston has smartly and jealously protected its ETJ. As I mentioned before, Detroit is the poster child for urban decay brought on by an inability to expand. Dallas is dealing with this same issue, as its ring cities compete for business, development and population.

While the argument could be made that this is less of a problem now that Houston is popular again with the affluent and upper middle class, that is no reason for Houston to relinquish its ETJ. Trends can change. Houston, more so than most other cities, has weathered threats to its vitality through an aggressive annexation plan, and through protecting its ETJ. Those that live in the ETJ knew that when they moved there. They get benefit of Houston's water system and Houston's ETJ enforcement, currently seen in its going after the billboards in the suburbs. There is no rational reason for Houston to abandon its ETJ.

As for the suburban residents, there are benefits to being part of Houston. The biggest is economy of scale. 2.2 million taxpayers carry a lot of clout. In addition to having Harris County's road building capability, Houston also builds roads. Residents gain city services, such as libraries, fire protection, etc. When big things need to get done, the City has the money and bond power to do it. Obviously, size is also the downside, in terms of waiting in line and representation, although there will be a bigger City Council now that the City is over 2.1 million residents, so representation will improve. But the biggest benefit to suburban residents is that a strong Houston prevents an exodus of undesirables into the burbs, as a strong Houston tends to provide better services, encouraging the poor to stay closer to town.

And? Doesn't mean these places cannot be their own cities. What's the point of letting them just sit idle? They can't vote on city council, have no mayor, and only rely on MUDs and neighborhood districts. If these little areas on the West side were cities, services and things could reach the population a lot faster. That, and Houston still won't be hemmed in like Dallas is. Houston would still have the NE side and East side to expand and annex (which it probably won't anyway either).

And RedScare, what I meant by Katy/Cinco Ranch is for Houston to release its ETJ in Cinco Ranch (plus surrounding master-planned communities north of FM 1093) to Katy.

And? Doesn't mean these places cannot be their own cities. What's the point of letting them just sit idle? They can't vote on city council, have no mayor, and only rely on MUDs and neighborhood districts. If these little areas on the West side were cities, services and things could reach the population a lot faster. That, and Houston still won't be hemmed in like Dallas is. Houston would still have the NE side and East side to expand and annex (which it probably won't anyway either).

People in unincorporated areas are just as equally represented. Instead of council members we have court commissioners (by precinct). Instead of a mayor we have a judge.

We have ISD's the same as any city, as most are not bound by city borders. For police protection we have the Sheriff's Office (and sometime the Constable's Office for supplemental traffic enforcement).

For EMS and fire protection we have ESD boards that are responsible for ensuring that there are adequate paradmedic ambulances and fire stations with fire trucks. Of course these are usually staffed by volunteers, but where I live I'm told that so many people volunteer that they are only allowed to show up when scheduled.

--

The only perk I see to being incorporated is for the identity. As for annexation, I don't think Houston needs to worry about annexing anything more outside of SH6/FM1960. I would actually like to see some more neighborhoods incorporate to help give identity to these areas. Perhaps even Houston letting some of their far annexed suburbs create their own identity like Kingwood, Willowbrook, Clearlake or even Greenspoint.

I think this should be no problem. Annexation of unincorporated areas would not be impossible for Houston if Spring-Klein actually became a city. There are so many other unincorporated communities, such as areas in northeast Harris County, like Atascosita, and Dyersdale that are going nowhere. Also, there areas in east Harris County. The name for the city could have been better IMO. Spring-Klein, Texas sounds dumb.

What do you mean Atascocita is not going anyhere? The Humble/Atascocita area is growing out of control. I live in unincorporated Harris county right on will clayton pkwy. about 10 min from the airport. I can tell you we are growing. From Will Clayton to Atascocita road to Kingwood dr. to FM1960 is growing because there countless banks, too many starbucks, and three Wal-Marts. Trees are geting cut down for countless neighborhoods and strip malls/shoppong centers(some look pretty decent). It does not look like the boondocks in the middle of nowhere like when we first moved out here. And I am pretty sure Atascocita is not growing just because of the city of Humble.

What do you mean Atascocita is not going anyhere? The Humble/Atascocita area is growing out of control. I live in unincorporated Harris county right on will clayton pkwy. about 10 min from the airport. I can tell you we are growing. From Will Clayton to Atascocita road to Kingwood dr. to FM1960 is growing because there countless banks, too many starbucks, and three Wal-Marts. Trees are geting cut down for countless neighborhoods and strip malls/shoppong centers(some look pretty decent). It does not look like the boondocks in the middle of nowhere like when we first moved out here. And I am pretty sure Atascocita is not growing just because of the city of Humble.

What he meant by "going nowhere" was places like Atascocita becoming its own city.

I doubt you could get your neighbors out of their La-Z-boys for the revolt, but, as a closet anarchist, I'd love to see it.

I can't see you with a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in another. Maybe a tequila bottle and a bong....

What he meant by "going nowhere" was places like Atascocita becoming its own city.

Exactly. I know Atascocita is growing extremely fast. I meant they are not on their way to becoming incorporated any time soon.

Yeah, let's be one-united-Houston.

I heard annexation of Atascocita will be happening shortly.

• The title was changed to City Of Spring-Klein: Effort To Form City Begins

Archived