Web Chat on Light Rail, TODAY

lockmat

Web Chat on Light Rail

Bryan Pennington

Senior Vice President of METRO

Want to know what's planned for light rail? Ask Bryan Pennington, who is charged with delivering all five light-rail lines in Houston.

Pennington will describe how METRO plans to complete five light-rail lines in four years.

So log into www.ridemetro.org and join this important and timely webchat on the exciting future of light rail.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

www.ridemetro.org

12:00 p.m.

going on right now for those interested

He avoided answering question regarding the start date of the Uptown Line contruction.

Why?

Updated:

He answered one of my questions

Q : Will any of the new lines be elevated above traffic or underground? Currently every line is planned at street level correct?

A : Generally, all of the lines are at-grade. We have some local grade separations. For instance, you may have read in the newspapers that in conjunction with the Freight Rail District and the city, METRO is planning a bridge over the existing freight rail line, just to the west of Magnolia. We also have a short section of grade separation towards the north end of the North Corridor.

Another question from another user

Q : How will the university line connect to the Galleria?

A : There will be a direct connection between the Uptown Line and the University Line at Westpark. Although the design is not complete, our focus is on providing what we call a one-seat ride. In other words, we're looking to make a direct connection.

Another user.

Q : Will any of the new lines share lanes with traffic, such as the turn lanes in the Med Center?

A : Based on experience from the Red Line, METRO generally is avoiding sharing lanes. However, there are some limited locations where there will be shared lanes. For instance, where it was necessary to avoid major property takings. Again, METRO is trying to find the optimum balance between the various stakeholders.

Q: Will landscaping and trees be added to buffer sound as the train goes through residential neighborhoods?

A : As part of the feedback obtained over the last several years from Council members and the community, we understand that landscaping and trees are a fundamental component of our project. As we finish off the design process, we are ensuring that we maintian at least as many trees as exist on the corridors at present.

Q : Are there any plans to bring the university line onto the U of H campus?

A : Depending upon the final design, I expect the University of Houston central campus will have three stations.

Q : Will the uptown line run in the middle of 610? This is from Memorial to Post Oak BLVD.

A : We are working closely with TxDot to resolve this issue. From my perspective, the middle of 610 would be the optimum solution but we need to see how the discussions with TxDot pan out.

Nice, I got 2 questions in! :D

Q : What will happen to the trees and landscaping in the center median of the Uptown Line on Post Oak BLVD? Will they be completely remove to make room for the rail lines and stations?

A : As the final design takes place, we will be working with Uptown to protect for landscaping areas in a median running along the center line of Post Oak. At the same time, we will be protecting for turn lanes to allow customers to access the commercial and retail businesses on either side of Post Oak.

in other words, trees will get chopped, or relocated.

Q : Are there future plans to get these rails dedicated lines to run to both IAH and HOBBY airports?

A : Yes, this is included in the long-term METRO Solutions plan.

Q : Are there any long range plans to connect the light rail in to a heavy rail line (like the Marta system in Atlanta, GA) ?

A : The overall METRO Solutions plan envisages a multi-modal transit system covering a wide area of the city and suburbs. In the downtown/inner Loop area, a connector system using LRT is the logical technology choice. As this is being built out, it is logically then to look at bringing commuter rail in from the suburbs to connect to the LRT system to give riders more choice and make it easier for them to leave their car at home. One of the major connecting points that METRO is presently planning is at the Intermodal Terminal, located near the old Hardy rail yards, just to the north of the downtown area.

Another user.

Good job, puma!

I don't blame him for not answering the Uptown line question, kinda' hard to give an answer that is dependent on when the U-line is going to be completed.

The way he answered the "one seat" model for uptown, I wonder if some trains are going to be diverted to uptown on its route. If that is the case, it would be awesome, but it would lead to some initial confusion to the riders.

Nice, I got 2 questions in! :D

in other words, trees will get chopped, or relocated.

last time they had a chat they said goodbye. i like how this time they just killed it and said nothing to indicate it was over. lol

No, they said the hour is up and he wished he could answer more questions. He also said that they would do this again in the near future.

No, they said the hour is up and he wished he could answer more questions. He also said that they would do this again in the near future.

Oh, well look at that. The last message I recieved from the chat was at 12:51. No wonder!

Oh, well look at that. The last message I recieved from the chat was at 12:51. No wonder!

Only the incompetent would lay SO much rail into existing streets - it defeats the purpose of having rail in the first place. Rail should only be laid into medians or elevated areas...not the street!

The St. Charles streetcar in New Orleans is a good example of how to do it correctly. The New Orleans streetcar has rail in the street for only short distances - 90% of it is in the median.

It takes people from where they live, to where they work. The crescent shape of New Orleans also lends itself to making the system work in a beneficial manner.

And trust me, anytime New Orleans does something better than your city...your city su*ks.

Only the incompetent would lay SO much rail into existing streets - it defeats the purpose of having rail in the first place. Rail should only be laid into medians or elevated areas...not the street!

The St. Charles streetcar in New Orleans is a good example of how to do it correctly. The New Orleans streetcar has rail in the street for only short distances - 90% of it is in the median.

It takes people from where they live, to where they work. The crescent shape of New Orleans also lends itself to making the system work in a beneficial manner.

And trust me, anytime New Orleans does something better than your city...your city su*ks.

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived