Golf Modern

BenH

I know this isn't going to be a popular thread, but I thought I'd post it anyway. The British Open Golf Tournament is going to be at Royal Birkdale this year, and it is one of the few courses in the world that has a an Art Moderne/International Style clubhouse.

rb%20(Small).jpg

That is pretty cool. I like the look of the course too, a lot of pot-style bunkers (small, deep, steep) that should be fun for players. It does look to be less of a links style course that the Scottish ones they rotate with.

http://www.royalbirkdale.com/coursedetail.asp?id=2

Only thing I don't like about the British Open is I can't do my usual Sunday afternoon golf major ritual of sitting on the couch in front of my big tv, watching the final day in hi-def. The final round will probably be over by 2pm.

The British have always had a proclivity to inflict pain upon their captives. My guess is that it was former British schoolmasters who grew tired of whacking the bottoms of their students, and moved up to a higher level of punishment

The British have always had a proclivity to inflict pain upon their captives. My guess is that it was former British schoolmasters who grew tired of whacking the bottoms of their students, and moved up to a higher level of punishment

No, but it's not supposed to be torture, either. Many British courses penalize even the best shots by happenstance. I don't understand that philosophy, nor do I agree with it. It's like a guy running the length of the field about to score a touchdown and having a guy come off the bench and tackle him. It's just not fair.

BTW, the above analogy is for 57T-Bird.

Well, I've grown up around golf all my life; hell, I can't look anywhere in the house without seeing something golf-related. I appreciate the beauty of a course like Royal Birkdale or better still, Carnoustie. The idea is that they've been playing golf at places like St. Andrews in one form or another since the 1600s. If you shoot a good score, its like winning a war and you really enjoy that beer after leaving the 18th green.

Wow! What a tournament!!!

53-year-old Greg Norman was at the top of the leaderboard after each of the first three rounds, but his legs gave out midway through the final round after leading after 9 holes today. Had Norman won, he would have been the oldest golfer to win a major golf title.

The oldest golfer to win a PGA event is

Archived