Holocaust Museum Houston At 5401 Caroline St.

• 11 months later...

10 years ago I sat with probably several hundreds of people as the Holocaust Museum opened its doors to the public. People of all races and nationalities heard services in a church and walked together for the ribbon cutting. Today. 10 years later, a rededication was at hand as an original train car that carried people to the concentration camps was brought over to the museum and placed as a memorial and remembrance to those that were a part of that horrific part of history. Dozens of dignitaries were at hand as were dozens of survivors of those camps to do the ribbon cutting. With the Diversity Choir singing and emotions high, it was eerie as raindrops fell sparadically like tears.

This museum is trying to collect stories from survivors and veterans who may have played a part in the rescue of concentration camp victims. If you know of anyone who falls into ither of these catagories and is willing to do this please contact the museum or pm me.

May I add if you have not visited the museum please do. It is free and will be an experience you will not soon forget.

10 years ago I sat with probably several hundreds of people as the Holocaust Museum opened its doors to the public. People of all races and nationalities heard services in a church and walked together for the ribbon cutting. Today. 10 years later, a rededication was at hand as an original train car that carried people to the concentration camps was brought over to the museum and placed as a memorial and remembrance to those that were a part of that horrific part of history. Dozens of dignitaries were at hand as were dozens of survivors of those camps to do the ribbon cutting. With the Diversity Choir singing and emotions high, it was eerie as raindrops fell sparadically like tears.

This museum is trying to collect stories from survivors and veterans who may have played a part in the rescue of concentration camp victims. If you know of anyone who falls into ither of these catagories and is willing to do this please contact the museum or pm me.

May I add if you have not visited the museum please do. It is free and will be an experience you will not soon forget.

It was an honor checking it out a few years back. It was one thing studying it in school, but another to go to that Museum.

• 1 year later...

This may or may not be related, but are there places here in Houston where people can try to find those that were impacted by the Holocaust somehow?

There were many people that came here after the Holocaust and settled in Houston. I was trying to connect the puzzle of a pair of brothers that opened a Men's Tailor shop here in Downtown on Travis and Main, I think. I only have 1st names but perhaps a local historian may know? My mom worked with these people around 1947-1950 and I wanted to try to locate relatives to tell a few stories of these brothers business and what an impact it had on Houston after the war. In those days many Europeans fled and settled here. I'm just glad we still have our mom to tell us the stories she used to hear from the young ones that made it out alive.

Any advise is appreciated.

Edited by Vertigo58

This may or may not be related, but are there places here in Houston where people can try to find those that were impacted by the Holocaust somehow?

Your best bet is the Holocaust Museum. You will find lists of living and dead area Houstonians who were victems of the Nazis and residents of the camps. Their stories are well documented in their archives and library in addition to their affiliation with other Holocaust Museums. All you have to do is ask.

• 9 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I'm just guessing but I think it was damage repair to the stucco. It's been going on for several months.

Yea, the stucco had serious stains on it and it looked terrible. Several months? Feels like over a year now.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Timoric said:

Anyone know the Jewish population of Houston?  Just curious since we get a museum

The answer according to the Jewish Virtual Library is approximately 45,640 in the metropolitan area, or about 0.8% of the population. Dallas-Fort Worth has a like percentage with approximately 55,000 Jewish inhabitants.

Understand that the Holocaust was a genocide of Jewish people but the Nazis did not stop at that. According to the Simon Wiesenthal Center approximately 5,860,000 Jews were murdered during the Nazi regime. What is interesting, according to the same source, is the recognized figure of non-Jews murdered in the same time period is approximately 5,000,000. Among the groups which the Nazis and their collaborators murdered were Gypsies, Serbs, Polish intelligentsia, German opponents of Nazism including Christian clergy like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, habitual criminals, and the "anti-social," e.g. beggars, and vagrants.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...